Weight loss & OCD.

Options
missnatlyn
missnatlyn Posts: 15 Member
I have struggled for years to lose weight due to OCD. I have succeeded but never met my goals. I obsess at the amount of calories I have left for the day ( makes me panic if I feel that I am going to go over) or if I happen to eat something unhealthy I obsess about that too. This increases my stress level over the top and I end up giving up. And then feeling like I can not accomplish losing weight, or even trying to become healthy because it seems like an insurmountable challenge.

So I ask... those who have OCD. How do you manage to keep this under control and succeed, or get through a rough time? I will be starting therapy next week to hopefully help.

Replies

• roscolamco
    roscolamco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi missnatlyn, it sounds to me as though you know the process that you go through that makes you not meet your goals so that is a great first start. ...You may want to consider writing down in dot point each step of the process that you go through that makes you panic or obsess. This is called the pathway. Then write down beside each for point, an alternative path you could take. This may help you pause, reflect and choose a different pathway the next time you feel this way. It may also help you slowly eliminate some of the behaviors little by little by keeping a positive thought process and knowing there are alternatives. Keep up the great work you are doing!