Learning from my FitBit Charge HR

Options
So, I've had a FitBit Charge HR for several days, and I'm learning a lot from it. First, the TDEE calculated for me is pretty darn accurate. In my daily activities (walking on campus, plus a 30-45 minute walk), I burn between 1400-1500 calories a day. That's sort of the good news -- the bad news is that if I'm not putting in those 10,000 steps, my BMR is pretty close to 1100 (something a trainer had figured out with one of those body fat/body mass scales last fall). So the sad news is that if I want to lose, I really do need to stick to that 1100-1200 range. So, for those of you who think getting a fitbit will allow you to eat more, no dice. The thing I do like is that I get to see the calories I'm using up during the day so I can see if I'm eating more than I need and can plan dinner accordingly.

Replies

• runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Plus, over time, you will see an improved resting heart rate as well as logging way more than 10,000 steps. I've been using mine for 2 months and am now floating between 11k-15k steps! It's addicting.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    So, I've had a FitBit Charge HR for several days, and I'm learning a lot from it. First, the TDEE calculated for me is pretty darn accurate. In my daily activities (walking on campus, plus a 30-45 minute walk), I burn between 1400-1500 calories a day. That's sort of the good news -- the bad news is that if I'm not putting in those 10,000 steps, my BMR is pretty close to 1100 (something a trainer had figured out with one of those body fat/body mass scales last fall). So the sad news is that if I want to lose, I really do need to stick to that 1100-1200 range. So, for those of you who think getting a fitbit will allow you to eat more, no dice. The thing I do like is that I get to see the calories I'm using up during the day so I can see if I'm eating more than I need and can plan dinner accordingly.

if I'm doing 20,000-25,000 steps a day, or 15km (10 miles), why can't I eat any of those exercise calories back??

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »

if I'm doing 20,000-25,000 steps a day, or 15km (10 miles), why can't I eat any of those exercise calories back??

You can, Christine. At the very least, you should give it a try and see what happens.

I consistently eat back every single one of my calories earned from my Fitbit, and it hasn't slowed my weight loss in the least.

YMMV, of course, but it's absolutely worth trying.

~Lyssa
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lyssa :smile:
    I try not to eat them back, try :wink: It's nice to have them there if I need them.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lyssa :smile:
    I try not to eat them back, try :wink: It's nice to have them there if I need them.

Exactly! Some days I truly am not hungry, so I make sure I eat healthy stuff, add in some treats and call it good enough. It's worked so far :)

We'll see how the next month or so goes, though. I've got a measly 250 cal/day deficit now so I expect I'll be playing with numbers a bit to make sure I keep losing. As long as the trend is down, been 1lb/month will keep me happy :)

~Lyssa
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I've found that with the fitbit, I'm actually getting fewer calories to eat back when it adjusts. I think I was overestimating my "burn" for some activities.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My fitbit charge hr was an eye-opener for me as well. I've learned that my physical activities were not burning as many calories as myfitnesspal would say.

I've also learned that my weekends sabotage me completely. While I am good on the weekdays, my average calorie intake over a 30-day period, I have found is only a 100 calories less than my average calorie burn over a 30-day period. No wonder I am not seeing any difference!