Low energy levels all the time

Options
Hi everyone! I'm looking for some advice. I am 22 years old but feel much older because I never have any energy. My husband even told me the other day, "you're 22 not 50." The problem is that I wake up tired. I go through my day tired. And go to bed tired. I have a 3 year old and work as a waitress (typically at least 30+ hours a week). Yes, that alone is exhausting but I should at least have energy to take care of those things but many days I feel like I won't even make it. I've tried taking naps some afternoons but usually they only make me feel groggier. I try exercising but am so exhausted, I stop after about 5 minutes. I'm tired of being so tired. What can I do? Anyone else experience these extremely low energy levels? What works for you?

Replies

• lloftus723
    lloftus723 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    More iron? I know with my sons iron deficiency, if he doesn't get enough he could sleep for days. Pregnant? Not enough enough?
  • lloftus723
    lloftus723 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    lloftus723 wrote: »
    More iron? I know with my sons iron deficiency, if he doesn't get enough he could sleep for days. Pregnant? Not enough enough?

Eating enough...
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Go have some blood work done. b12, vit D, iron.... have your thyroid checked. There may be an easily fixable reason for your lethargy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be how many calories are you eating? If it's 1200 or under that's the reason...

Otherwise get your iron levels checked...as a woman that is the first thing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to see a physician.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Fatigue that isn't refreshed by sleep needs to be checked out by a doctor. Go and get some bloodwork done.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    if i am very low iron which is often, i can feel the same. agree on seeing your dr it may be a simple fix
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Have you had your D level checked? Most of us are deficient and this has a long list of side affects-including lethargy/tiredness. I've tested deficient for years and finally just started taking a high dose D supplement. Already noticing I don't feel so run down all the time :) It's a simple blood test and the correction is pretty easy (I just bought an over the counter D3 supplement, which my Dr. recommended doing because it's cheaper than an rx).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you are netting below 1200 you are not eating enough..

if you are netting at 1200 or over then you need to see a dr. ..
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    all of the above regarding iron or other vitamin/mineral deficiencies or not eating enough

I'm 37 and sitting still for too long drives me BONKERS! I wasn't always like that....
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Go have some blood work done. b12, vit D, iron.... have your thyroid checked. There may be an easily fixable reason for your lethargy.

Took the words right out of my mouth! Tired in today's "whatever you do, look busy!" society, especially when you have a family to take care of, is normal for parts of the day (or perhaps not every day); waking up tired is not. When that happened to me - when I woke up each morning in tears knowing I was going to have to somehow stumble around through my day until I could get back into bed again - it turned out to be hypothyroidism and a vitamin D deficiency. It may be neither of those for you, or both, or something else. But it's not normal...you need some blood work as soon as you can get it.

What really strikes me is your husband's comment that you're not 50. I was in my early 40s when all this came to a head. I felt like I was a hundred years old. I honest to God had less energy than my 81-year-old father-in-law. That's not to say you're like me...just that when you are that exhausted, something's up besides normal daily stress and keeping up a household.

Thinking of you and hoping you feel better.

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Go have some blood work done.

^This. And ask your physician to evaluate you for some level of depression.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    See your dr for blood work to rule out anemia, hypothyroidism, etc.