Bloated and Increased Water Intake

Options
hi! I used to drink around 3 cups of water per day, but I decided to take and have been drinking between 8 to 12, 8 ounce glasses per day. I am SUPER bloated. I know water is good for me, so why is this happening. I just upped my water intake starting on Saturday.

When will the bloat go away?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What else are you eating/drinking throughout the day? It could be that you're actually drinking too much water!

I take my weight in lbs and drink half that in ounces (so right now I'm 122, and I shoot for 61 oz of water). Coffee and tea count, too, so maybe you're overdoing it! Today, I had a cup of chai tea (8 oz), then 20 oz of water, another 16 oz of water throughout the day, and an 8 oz V8 Fusion. That gets me up to something like 52, plus theres some water in the various food I ate. I'm probably OK on water intake today.

Back off a bit. And I don't have the chart handy, but the other piece of advice folks give is to check the color of your urine - if it's a pale yellow, you're plenty hydrated. If it's clear, you're drinking too much; darker yellow, you need to drink more.

~Lyssa
  • eccentric88
    eccentric88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How fast are you drinking it, all at once, or a little bit spread out over the day. The latter being better. May be your body needs to adjust to the added water, it may be used to water conservation, and so it is hoarding it.

During the interim try a natural diuretic either a herb, or food. But again spread it out, do not take tons right away of the diuretic.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    hi! I used to drink around 3 cups of water per day, but I decided to take and have been drinking between 8 to 12, 8 ounce glasses per day. I am SUPER bloated. I know water is good for me, so why is this happening. I just upped my water intake starting on Saturday.

When will the bloat go away?

There's so many other things that could be causing this. The amount of sodium in your foods, types of foods you're eating or types missing from your diet etc.

It may have nothing at all to do with adding the extra water. If you've only been drinking 3 cups of water a day (you don't mention any other liquid so I have no idea if this is all you're taking in) that's incredibly low for our body to stay hydrated without working out. Let alone if you're working out... adding in more water is a good move, you didn't mention how quickly you added in the extra. Might be too much too fast?

Not really enough info to properly to give a 'guess' even on this...sorry. Perhaps someone can help you out if you'd like them to look over your diary and see if you're taking too much of something that's causing the bloat?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I would check your salt. If you have been accurately logging you could probably just check in mfp for the week.

Also is bloating a girl thing? This might sound odd but I can't think of a time where I would describe myself as bloated or heard a guy complain of it.

Only ever women or yogurt ads.