sweet potatoes

Options
cotinara
cotinara Posts: 8 Member
Hi
Just bought 2 sweet potatoes because everyone is raving about them. Any recommendations on making them savory? I don't typically care for them in restaurants because they are too sweet. Also once baked or cooked how do you re-heat them? Normal potatoes I feel don't reheat well, so is it the same?

Replies

• claris917
    claris917 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Make them into sweet mashed potato and make a healthy mushroom gravy. Pair it with steak.

I also like to bake them as fries. Just drizzle olive oil and season with paprika.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Microwave them covered with cling film with half a lemon.
    Then chop them up with a bunch of corriander, fresh chilli, and feta cheese. Squeeze the lemon juice over the top. Gorgeous!!!!
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i tried this one one evening and loved it http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000001046787,00.html
  • cotinara
    Options
    Thanks will def try. @Pelamblue that sounds delicious
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like to do a stuff sweet potato with bbq shredded chicken. Also my Dad's side of the family always made sweet potato dressing. It has ground meats and veggies mixed into smashed sweet potato. Very savory. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/11/sweet-potato-dressing.html

Two Potato Salad with Sour Cream
    Adapted from: Wine, Food & Friends by Karen MacNeil
    Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients

1 pound small red potatoes, halved
    1 pound peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    3/4 cup sour cream (yogurt works too)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Dash red pepper flakes

Directions

Place potatoes in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinegar; toss gently to coat. Let cool to room temperature.

Combine sour cream and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Add to potatoes, tossing gently to coat.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    claris917 wrote: »
    Make them into sweet mashed potato and make a healthy mushroom gravy. Pair it with steak.

I also like to bake them as fries. Just drizzle olive oil and season with paprika.

Awesome idea! I love the roasting idea especially. I have to salt them to balance off the sweet flavor.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I like to do a stuff sweet potato with bbq shredded chicken. Also my Dad's side of the family always made sweet potato dressing. It has ground meats and veggies mixed into smashed sweet potato. Very savory. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/11/sweet-potato-dressing.html

Two Potato Salad with Sour Cream
    Adapted from: Wine, Food & Friends by Karen MacNeil
    Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients

1 pound small red potatoes, halved
    1 pound peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    3/4 cup sour cream (yogurt works too)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Dash red pepper flakes

Directions

Place potatoes in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinegar; toss gently to coat. Let cool to room temperature.

Combine sour cream and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Add to potatoes, tossing gently to coat.

Nice!!! I can't fall asleep and I end up with foodie ideas. Glorious evening indeed.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There are some tricks to making sweet potato fries crispy. Most involve shaking them in a bag with cornstarch.

This is the recipe we use :smile:

Source: www.foodiewithfamily.com

Display units in metric

Serves

Ingredients

2 large sweet potatoes (about ¾ pound give or take)
    4 teaspoons starch (corn starch tapioca starch/flour, brown rice starch/flour, or a mixture of any or all of them)
    2 tablespoons grapeseed peanut, or canola oil
    1/4-1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
    non-stick cooking spray
    salt to taste

Directions ( Default | Numbered )

Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into ¼-inch by ¼-inch matchsticks. Put them in a bowl and cover with cold, fresh water. Let them soak for 1 hour or up to overnight. Pour the water and sweet potato matchsticks into a colander, rinse with fresh water, then pat dry with paper towels. They should not be visibly wet, but they don't have to be bone dry.

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Line two half-sheet pans with heavy-duty foil and spritz lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Add half of the sweet potato matchsticks to a very large plastic bag. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the starch over the potatoes, cinch the top (trapping as much air in the bag as you can when you cinch it) and shake vigorously to coat the fries. Empty the bag into a mixing bowl and use your hands to toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil and the chipotle powder (if using). Arrange the fries on the prepared pan in a single layer, not touching. Repeat with the remaining fries, starch, and oil.

Arrange the pans in the oven so that one is in the top third of the oven and the other is in the bottom third of the oven. Set the timer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, use a stiff metal spatula or fish turner to get under the fries and flip them over. Remember to keep them in a single layer after flipping. Return the pans to the oven, rotating the pans from top to bottom and front to back. In other words, the one that started in the top third of the oven should end in the bottom third of the oven facing the other direction. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until they have browned and are cooked clean though.

Shut the oven off, prop the door open halfway, and let cool and crisp up further for 10 minutes before serving. Toss with salt to taste.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    dice them in cubes (1/2 inch or 1 inch size) toss with some olive oil and salt and pepper....roast until lightly browned on the outside. (I cook at 400 for about 10 minutes, stir them and then another 10 or so minutes).

They are also good with other root veggies mixed in, if you cut them the same size, you can roast them all together...carrots, potatoes, turnips, whatever you like!

We don't like them sweet at our house either and roasted seems to be the favorite!
  • PurplePoloPlayer
    PurplePoloPlayer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying them boiled. They will cook faster than in the oven and they come out soft and yummy. Mix in a bit of organic butter with cinnamon whipped in and yum-station!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    You could try roasting them, that's my favorite way to eat them. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!
  • cotinara
    Options
    I need to go buy more sweet potatoes. All of this is making me hungry. I just roasted mine with some sea salt and they turned out pretty yummy, reheated fine in the microwave.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    faidwen wrote: »
    There are some tricks to making sweet potato fries crispy. Most involve shaking them in a bag with cornstarch.

This is the recipe we use :smile:

Source: www.foodiewithfamily.com

Display units in metric

Serves

Ingredients

2 large sweet potatoes (about ¾ pound give or take)
    4 teaspoons starch (corn starch tapioca starch/flour, brown rice starch/flour, or a mixture of any or all of them)
    2 tablespoons grapeseed peanut, or canola oil
    1/4-1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
    non-stick cooking spray
    salt to taste

Directions ( Default | Numbered )

Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into ¼-inch by ¼-inch matchsticks. Put them in a bowl and cover with cold, fresh water. Let them soak for 1 hour or up to overnight. Pour the water and sweet potato matchsticks into a colander, rinse with fresh water, then pat dry with paper towels. They should not be visibly wet, but they don't have to be bone dry.

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Line two half-sheet pans with heavy-duty foil and spritz lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Add half of the sweet potato matchsticks to a very large plastic bag. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the starch over the potatoes, cinch the top (trapping as much air in the bag as you can when you cinch it) and shake vigorously to coat the fries. Empty the bag into a mixing bowl and use your hands to toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil and the chipotle powder (if using). Arrange the fries on the prepared pan in a single layer, not touching. Repeat with the remaining fries, starch, and oil.

Arrange the pans in the oven so that one is in the top third of the oven and the other is in the bottom third of the oven. Set the timer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, use a stiff metal spatula or fish turner to get under the fries and flip them over. Remember to keep them in a single layer after flipping. Return the pans to the oven, rotating the pans from top to bottom and front to back. In other words, the one that started in the top third of the oven should end in the bottom third of the oven facing the other direction. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until they have browned and are cooked clean though.

Shut the oven off, prop the door open halfway, and let cool and crisp up further for 10 minutes before serving. Toss with salt to taste.

Wow man - great recipe. I have some gluten free flour that would work with this wonderfully. TY for sharing.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I like them roasted best, but I frequently dice up a raw sweet potato, toss it with a can of black beans, a diced onion and some salsa, maybe some lime juice and extra cumin and oregano, and cook (covered) on the stove top until the potato pieces are cooked through, which is always faster than I expect. Great on its own, or in a tortilla, or with just about any meat and it reheats well so it's really a versatile thing to keep a few servings of in the fridge.

Also, sliced in rounds then put in a covered saucepan with a diced onion and bit of miso soup to cook, add some spinach at the end (just not at the beginning or else the spinach overcooks), is very nice too. I like that with tofu.
  • sweetpotatofries123
    sweetpotatofries123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like them roasted with olive oil and rosemary despite my user name ;)