Calories burned?

So I just started this whole getting healthy thing. I'm counting my calories and exercising. I'm using the Garmin connect w HR monitor and riding a recumbent stationary. My problem is figuring out the calories I'm burning. So my bike says I burn 200ish, I know that's for a 150 pound man, and I'm much more than that. When my Garmin uploads its set to running and gives about 350 and if I switch to biking it goes to 800ish(which seems like a lot). I've checked some sites but the numbers vary 550, 725. How do I know what's closest?

Replies

• joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Well, if you paid the money for the Garmin I suppose you use the number it tells you and assume that its calibrated correctly? I use the read-out on the machine at the gym I use (which lets me put my weight it) but personally I would be conservative and see where it takes you and then adjust.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    are you doing steady-state on your bike? use your garmin

if you're doing HIIT .. take 50% of your garmin

check against weight loss over time (6-8 weeks) and adjust accordingly
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Calorie burns are all estimates (even those based on HRM). Pick a reasonable amount, log it and after a few weeks, tweak it if you’re not getting your expected results.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Garmin Connect is software ... not a monitoring device. Their devices are the vivo series of trackers, Forerunner running GPS, and Edge cycling computers.

The cycling setting on most Garmins is for outdoor riding, not a stationary.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    are you doing steady-state on your bike? use your garmin

if you're doing HIIT .. take 50% of your garmin

check against weight loss over time (6-8 weeks) and adjust accordingly

+1
  • Dennis_620
    Dennis_620 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for the tips. I have a vivosmart. Sorry thought I put that in there.