Walking as exercise calories

Options
2»

Replies

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You can't burn 1000 calories from walking.

But if they have themselves as sedentary on here and have a device like a fitbit, they could get close to 1000 exercise calories from walking 25,000-30,000 steps. It's not really calories from walking, but more like mfp adjusting for them not being sedentary.

Walking gets me about 50 calories a mile. I am short and weigh 119. I don't burn calories like I once did. Lol

My heart rate monitor had me at 1319 calories for my 9.3 mile walk on Sunday.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    walking is a great option got me to this

29509743.png

now just working on toning and muscles to get where I want to be
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

But if they have themselves as sedentary on here and have a device like a fitbit, they could get close to 1000 exercise calories from walking 25,000-30,000 steps. It's not really calories from walking, but more like mfp adjusting for them not being sedentary.

Walking gets me about 50 calories a mile. I am short and weigh 119. I don't burn calories like I once did. Lol

Why not? Cardio burns are just a matter of intensity and duration. heavier people burn more.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I walk 5.25 miles in 70 minutes daily. The treadmill says that's in the high 600s which I think is too high. When I walk outdoors, I use a GPS/pedometer app and 5 miles on flat ground comes it around 500, maybe a little less if I don't keep the pace consistently well over 4 mph. I do lots of other walking during the day, including a pretty much daily 2.3 miles at lunch, but I don't count any of the walking as exercise calories except the daily intense 5 miles and I eat those calories back. Walking is my primary exercise, and I generally walk 25-30 miles per week plus additional hiking on weekends. BTW, I have burned over 1,000 a day walking - you hike more than 12 miles in a day up and down some mountains and you will too.

Walking is excellent exercise. It may not burn as many calories as quickly as running, but it's low impact and it will burn plenty of calories if you go fast and far enough.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options

My heart rate monitor had me at 1319 calories for my 9.3 mile walk on Sunday.

Hence when I said 20,000-30,000 steps.

9 miles is about 21,000 Steps

So yes that's possible
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Why not? Cardio burns are just a matter of intensity and duration. heavier people burn more.

You failed to read anything after that first sentence.

A 30 minute walk won't give you 1000 extra but if you walk 25,000 steps you will.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    I have my pacer app linked to mfp cos, why not? I average around 10,000 steps a day, (7km, 4-5 miles) 90% of which involves pushing 25kg (55lb) of toddler+baby in the double pram, and I tend to be given a couple hundred extra calories for the supposed 'exercise', but I don't eat them cos it's walking, and that doesn't really feel like eatable exercise, iykwim.
    I see others getting hundreds, sometimes over 1000, calories for walking, and I wonder if I'm doing it right.
    I'm still fiddling round with my calories. I started at 1500, found I was feeling cranky and woozy so I've upped it to 1700 (I'm breastfeeding a 10 month old). I've dropped 3.5 kg (7-8 lb) in 2 weeks, which is far too fast (I only have a few to lose) but I imagine it'll taper off.
    I just can't quite come at eating extra for walking. But I'm happy to be told I'm wrong, I'm no expert, obviously. Should I eat 50% of them or something?

If you don't want to eat the exercise calories, then you should probably change your settings to reflect your accurate activity level. At 10000 steps per day, you are definitely not sedentary. By MFP calculations, you are more in the active category than anything else. If you wanted to be conservative, you could list yourself as lightly active.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you Google a bit Mayo Clinic has some good articles, how much you burn exercising/walking changes quite a bit based on your weight. I have more than 100 lbs to lose. I burn way more than someone who is 15 lbs over weight.

Right now I eat 50% back and I lose fine. I think fit bit and MFP overestimate burn from exercise. Still makes me feel good to see it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

You can burn 1000 calories doing anything if you're willing to do it for the length of time it takes to burn 1000 calories. Calories are a measurement of energy, not a measurement of fitness level. Three major elements to calculating it are mass (weight), speed, & time.

I, a 300 lb man can only burn 225 calories in 15 minutes of RUNNING (5mph). So, I tend to question any ratios that go over that.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The walking thing isn't what's relevant here. What's relevant is that you were feeling cranky and woozy at 1500, and are losing faster than you like at 1700. You're breastfeeding, so you need more calories than someone with your equivalent stats who isn't breastfeeding. If you don't want to "eat back" walking calories, you can achieve the same effect by bumping your base calories up more. But either way, it sounds like you shoudl be eating more.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I include my purposeful walking which is 30-60 mins a day with a hrm and depending on where I walk or how fast I can burn about 500 an hr. Only because I wear leg braces so it takes more effort to walk for me than some ppl. It is like a weighted walk kind of. I still usually only eat about 50% of them except occasionally all of them.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I "ate back" all the walking calories FB gave me when I was losing weight and am doing the same in maintenance. I have MFP set on "sedentary" since my activity varies. Seems to be working fine.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I do 5k, 4 times a week. I do not work outside the home..is lightly active ok for me? I burn from 300 to 350 cal depending on the incline. I do not eat back my calories..maybe I should?
  • silentnite2608
    silentnite2608 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    *Don't mean to bring an old post back to life.*
    But I run in the morning (4-6 miles) and walk about another (6-8 miles) about 20,000/25,000 steps a day. (Army)
    At the end of the day My exercise calories go thou the roof nearing 3,000-4,000?

Fitbit surge to MFP.
    MFP is only getting the steps and making the calculations.
    Do I need to update my active level and to which one?
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I use a Fitbit HR charge set to sedentary and I use any calories it gives me and just base my deficit off what I've earned in total. I walk 100k steps a week as my goal. I get the biggest burns for terrain hikes with lots of elevation change, usually anywhere from 8-15 miles. Next biggest burn is a five mile urban loop up a very large steep hill. Right behind that is one hour of Zumba. So yeah, I count my walking! What I don't count is lifting (free weights) and yoga. The HR doesn't capture those activities well so I don't log them and I figure any calories burned there evens out any inaccuracies in my food logging. It amounts to about 5-6 hours of activity a week out of a total of 15 hours or so.
  • karintirasin
    karintirasin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper (free app) and it is very reliable and accurate. It tracks your walk/run and takes your age/weight into consideration plus communicates with Myfitnesspal. When I run for 35 min (jog) it usually "gives" me about 300 calories. I sometimes eat back all of my exercise calories, but usually try to only eat back about 50-75% of them. I have consistently lost 1 kg a week since I started (10 kg now).
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back my walking calories... but they're based on the adjustments fitbit gives me, not MFPs estimates, which seem high to me. I still lose at a higher-than-projected rate most weeks, so it's working.

Walking is, frankly, much better exercise than most people give it credit for.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    *Don't mean to bring an old post back to life.*
    But I run in the morning (4-6 miles) and walk about another (6-8 miles) about 20,000/25,000 steps a day. (Army)
    At the end of the day My exercise calories go thou the roof nearing 3,000-4,000?

Fitbit surge to MFP.
    MFP is only getting the steps and making the calculations.
    Do I need to update my active level and to which one?

Is there a chance that you are mistaking total calories burned for exercise calories on your fitbit? A decent rule of thumb for walking/running is 100 calories per mile for a ~155 lb person. (http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn)

What you do with the calories burned number is kind of up to you... What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight? Maintain? Gain? If I'm not mistaken, if you are synching your fitbit with MFP, then activity level is somewhat irrelevant--to lose you need to eat less than the calorie burn that fitbit is giving you, to gain you need to eat more. However, there is still the chance that the fitbit is over- or under-estimating your burn--you would need to make some tweaks to your calories in to meet your goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back my walking calories... but they're based on the adjustments fitbit gives me, not MFPs estimates, which seem high to me. I still lose at a higher-than-projected rate most weeks, so it's working.

Walking is, frankly, much better exercise than most people give it credit for.

Right. I don't understand why some people think you have to run to burn calories.