Women 5'8 + who've lost weight--have 20-30 more..

Ladies who are active, 5'8 and taller, and only have 20-30 more pounds to lose (meaning you have lost a lot and have been successful at losing weight) what avg calories (not talking about eating exercise calories) do you consume which you can see a steady weight loss 1-2 lbs a week, consistently? I am so hungry at 1400 cals...I workout 1-2 hours a day..6x a week...Please share your calorie intake and macros!!! :)

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I would starve on 1400 cals a day. I tried it, had to do some math. Here's my info:

5'8
    start: 150
    current: 127
    measurements go 35-25-37.
    Around 2100 calories a day (TDEE minus some).
    over 98g protein
    over 50g fat
    2000g carbs. The more I exercise, the more I increase my carbs. I still try to go above the other 2 goals.

The macros really depend on your lifestyle, but the one thing I would change in your case is the calories. You're taller then most women on this site, not all the same rules will apply to you. But to give you an idea of what's 'healthy', the average female adult needs about 2000cals a day to obtain most of their recommended nutrients. 2500 for males. The taller you are the more you can eat and lose. The larger you are the more you can eat and lose. The more you exercise the more you can eat and lose.

215370_10152804919685607_1404566372_n.jpg
    943646_10152805040955607_1788971204_n.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    5'8.75"

I lost 30lbs eating around 2000 calories a day (then I gained back 10 during a bulk).
  • Ladies who are active, 5'8 and taller, and only have 20-30 more pounds to lose (meaning you have lost a lot and have been successful at losing weight) what avg calories (not talking about eating exercise calories) do you consume which you can see a steady weight loss 1-2 lbs a week, consistently? I am so hungry at 1400 cals...I workout 1-2 hours a day..6x a week...Please share your calorie intake and macros!!! :)

Great question! If you have an answer - let me know. I'm 5'8'', started last July at 165 and now I'm ~141 with a goal of 135.

I had my calories set to 1200 in the fall but upped it to 1450. I work out at least 6 times a week, with a 1.5 hour workout on the weekend, otherwise it's about 45-50 minutes during a week day.

I'm always stuck to how I should figure out my calories, and was just wondering about that today. Because I'm definitely hungry! But not sure how to approach this...
  • CoderGal
    Ladies who are active, 5'8 and taller, and only have 20-30 more pounds to lose (meaning you have lost a lot and have been successful at losing weight) what avg calories (not talking about eating exercise calories) do you consume which you can see a steady weight loss 1-2 lbs a week, consistently? I am so hungry at 1400 cals...I workout 1-2 hours a day..6x a week...Please share your calorie intake and macros!!! :)

Great question! If you have an answer - let me know. I'm 5'8'', started last July at 165 and now I'm ~141 with a goal of 135.

I had my calories set to 1200 in the fall but upped it to 1450. I work out at least 6 times a week, with a 1.5 hour workout on the weekend, otherwise it's about 45-50 minutes during a week day.

I'm always stuck to how I should figure out my calories, and was just wondering about that today. Because I'm definitely hungry! But not sure how to approach this...
    You figure out your calories by figuring out your total daily energy expenditure. There's actually a scientific equation for this, which is basically your Basil Metabolic Rate multipled by a multiplier of at least 1.2 if you're sedentary and are not active day or night:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

Harris Benedict came up with an idea for multipliers:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris-Benedict_equation

To long didn't read version: Go here and type in information, it will spit out a number much higher then that one.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Keep in mind that the link above does not know if you are on your feet all day ie standing like a school teacher or slumped over on a couch.

If you are more active at work and at night then up your activity level. People seem to like underestimating this. Believe me, you'll still lose all the weight if you don't. I prefer taking smaller cuts compared to large ones. Particularly if you only have about 30lbs to lose. Even if it's more. People who take large cuts tend to lose a lot of water weight at first, thinking they're losing their fat, and then they come to a stall.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Bumping for later reading...
  • CoderGal
    2000g carbs. The more I exercise, the more I increase my carbs. I still try to go above the other 2 goals.
    That should be 200g not 2000g lol
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I'm a little over 5'8. I lost 15-ish lbs.

I eat 2K net to maintain and am currently bulking somewhere around 2500.
    as for macros, I try to get in 120 g of protein today and get enough fat, but am thinking about upping my protein my bulk.

Here's what I looked like at the end of April:
    eating at a deficit of 100 cal -200 cal per day

IMG_20130501_143905_zps9aa14419.jpg

Here's what I looked like a couple weeks ago:

eating a surplus of 500
    IMG_20130608_133133_zpsf87db83a.jpg
  • CoderGal
    I'm a little over 5'8. I lost 15-ish lbs.

I eat 2K net to maintain and am currently bulking somewhere around 2500.
    as for macros, I try to get in 120 g of protein today and get enough fat, but am thinking about upping my protein my bulk.

Here's what I looked like at the end of April:
    eating at a deficit of 100 cal -200 cal per day

IMG_20130501_143905_zps9aa14419.jpg

Here's what I looked like a couple weeks ago:

eating a surplus of 500
    IMG_20130608_133133_zpsf87db83a.jpg
    ^And this folks, is why you need to lift and this is why you need to fuel yourself. Even without lifting someone heavier or our height really needs at least 1600+ imo. When I got down to 120 and I was in exam mode I was eating over 1700 even on my lazy days.

You look terrific btw!
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    I'm currently netting 1850 a day and eating back all of my exercise calories. Weight loss is pretty slow at the moment but since I'm only 2 lbs from goal now it's not important how quick I lose it. I'm 5'8 and currently weigh just under 145 lbs. I've added onto my net every so often, going from 1200 to where I am now and I've lost 26lbs since Dec.

I should add that although I'm losing 1-2 lbs a month now my body fat is dropping pretty fast and measurements are really going down compared to when I was losing 3-4 lbs a month or more for example. I work out 5 days a week usually and have 2 back to back rest days, running 3 x per week and doing full body strength workout 2-3 times. Definitely seeing the hard work pay off now.

I still have a fair bit of toning to do but I'm doing okay. I can wear UK size 6 tops now and UK size 10 bottoms, although I think I will be size 8 bottoms soon as some of my 10s are getting loose now.