phat gurl ready to slim it down!

Options
New here to the forum. I kept seeing the trackers on long hair care forum and decided to see if I could utilize it as a tool to help hold me accountable. I didn't realize "myfitnesspal" was an entire site aimed at helping people lose weight. I'm glad I found it. My story ... 47 year old that has gained 100 pounds over my 16 year marriage. I haven't had any preganancies ... no children to blame it on :) Just a healthy appetite and physical inactivity. When I was younger I had more of a pear shape or so I thought. Now all the weight is going in my breasts and belly. Not a good look. I'm not interested in obtaining my high school weight (150lbs size 10) I am comfortable at 180 lbs size 14 and that is my goal. My starting weight is 275lbs. Over the years I've tried many diets and diet aids low fat, low carb, high protein, medifast, alli, phenteremine. It is true that high protein diets when abandoned will leave you weighing more than when you started. In 1998 I weighed 227 lbs .... the smallest I got was to 198. My weight has been balloning since then. I'm ready to get off the diet roller coaster. Somewhere along the way the real me has gotten lost in the excess weight. I hate going shopping no not for clothes I'm talking about the grocery store, WalMart. general home maintenance shopping .... there is always someone there ready to blab "Is that you Phyllis? Lawd you so big I didn't recognize you" People seem so eager to hurt ... don't they realize that is the last thing a person who has gained weight wants to hear. I hope by Christmas I will be buying a new wadrobe. This time I am going to give away all my plus size clothing there will be nothing to fall back on. I am happy I found this site and look forward to the fellowship and the journey of finding myself again.

Replies

• tmlane810
    tmlane810 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You will love it here. Everyone is very supportive and helpful! Best of luck in achieving your goals!!
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!

I am new to this site as well but so far it looks fab. Everyone is very supportive!!

Luv Kat
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think you'll find the site really helpful in its aid keeping track of calories & exercise. Here you will find people who help, not hurt. :) I haven't seen a single negative comment (other than people being negative about themselves) on here. Enjoy!
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i agree with AJSWriter, no negativity here! Everyone has been very nice and encouraging. I joined yesterday and I already have 15 brand new friends to help me on my journey! Enough is enough! I have also tried everything including Phentermine (that stuff should be outlawed, it is only a quick fix)

Good luck, let's get off this roller coaster and start enjoying life again! One day soon they will be saying LAWD Phyllis you look GREAT!!!
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    New here to the forum. I kept seeing the trackers on long hair care forum and decided to see if I could utilize it as a tool to help hold me accountable. I didn't realize "myfitnesspal" was an entire site aimed at helping people lose weight. I'm glad I found it. My story ... 47 year old that has gained 100 pounds over my 16 year marriage. I haven't had any preganancies ... no children to blame it on :) Just a healthy appetite and physical inactivity. When I was younger I had more of a pear shape or so I thought. Now all the weight is going in my breasts and belly. Not a good look. I'm not interested in obtaining my high school weight (150lbs size 10) I am comfortable at 180 lbs size 14 and that is my goal. My starting weight is 275lbs. Over the years I've tried many diets and diet aids low fat, low carb, high protein, medifast, alli, phenteremine. It is true that high protein diets when abandoned will leave you weighing more than when you started. In 1998 I weighed 227 lbs .... the smallest I got was to 198. My weight has been balloning since then. I'm ready to get off the diet roller coaster. Somewhere along the way the real me has gotten lost in the excess weight. I hate going shopping no not for clothes I'm talking about the grocery store, WalMart. general home maintenance shopping .... there is always someone there ready to blab "Is that you Phyllis? Lawd you so big I didn't recognize you" People seem so eager to hurt ... don't they realize that is the last thing a person who has gained weight wants to hear. I hope by Christmas I will be buying a new wadrobe. This time I am going to give away all my plus size clothing there will be nothing to fall back on. I am happy I found this site and look forward to the fellowship and the journey of finding myself again.

:flowerforyou: Welcome. You will find many friendly and willing to help people on this site. I've never read a negative comment on here about anyone, I know you'll enjoy it here.
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi,

Welcome...you are in the right place...the food diary is great...and the friends support is fantastic...

B
  • LisaNa10
    LisaNa10 Posts: 14
    Options
    Welcome! I am in my first week. So, far I'm loving it and am looking forward to my first weigh in. I also hate going anywhere where I'm going to see people that I know haven't seen me big, because people are very insensitive sometimes. At first I was angry at the people who asked if I was pregnant, but then after seeing a picture of myself I realized I shouldn't be because I indeed do look pregnant when I wear certain things. However, there are the rude comments. One guy told me that I had gotten too big. Another guy told me that it looked like I ate another person. The shock of knowing people say things like that to other people is still overwhelming to me.
    Also, I do feel that I have lost myself in the diets and constant obsessing about the weight. Just one time I'd like to go anywhere and not worry about what I look like.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And I agree, running into people who knew you as a much thinner person is probably the worst feeling in the world. I once sat next to my own half-sister somewhere and she never even knew it was me sitting next to her. That is how much weight I gained. Mine was in a short amount of time though, but still, makes you feel awful.

Just wait though. You stick to this site, logged everything you eat and pretty soon those people will be coming up to you telling you how fabulous you look. That is just a bonus to how good you will feel about yourself!

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • muellermoshe
    muellermoshe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome...and Good Luck. You can do it! This site is an awesome tool and really helps to keep eating and exercise in line. :smile:
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kayle! This place is just awesome is all I can say. At 43 now, I like you, have tried all the fad diets, and everything else I could to try to loose weight, to no avail. I have been pear shaped, all of my life, and never liked to use the word, but OBESE most of my life also. I was always heavy as a child, then had my first child at 14 years old. When I married my second husband, after already having 5 children, I weighed 220lbs. Well, I got comfy, and in 14 years of marriage this time, I weighed 255lbs in January. After having hernia surgery last September, he came another one. Doctor said Mel, you need to loose at least 50lbs before we do the next surgery, or it will do no good. SO, tried on my own in Jan. 2010, and come March still weighed 247lbs. My niece told me of this site. Today was weigh in day and in 3 months, I weighed in at 205.2lbs this morning. I now hold me responsible of my size, not having 5 children and not being married. I ATE IT, and ATE IT! I am tired of being obese, tired of shopping in the plus size dep't and tired of hiding my weight, well the number. Nobody ever knew it till now. Now I use that number to hold me accountable for how I eat. The support here is the best support I have ever found, My 28 year old daughter, that weighs 105lbs soaking wet, now knows how much her mother weighs, and my husband and most of my family do. I am proud of my success this time, and with 55lbs more to loose, I feel I can do it finally. Here I go ramblinng again, lol! Anyhow, you took the first step by joining. The more friends you have here the better. Feel free to add me if you would like. Take a look at my photo's, and you will see the huge hernia I am up against with exercising. If I can do it with this, you can do it also!!