Increase straight to 2000?

Options
hi everyone,
I've been slowly loosing (with minor fluctuations) on around 1400-1500. I need to gain 5lbs and was thinking of increasing straight to 2000... Because I'm horrible with sticking to "slow increases" and usually "chicken out". However, I've heard some people gain like 5-10lb at once in a week from
Increasing. Am I at risk for this? Any experiences like mine?

Replies

• Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Why is the additional 5 lbs necessary? your BMR plus activity level will dictate how many calories you need to eat to lose, maintain or gain weight. One pound is 3500 calories in either direction.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    chaarlotte the results will be different from person to person for many different reasons. Being a low carb eating lifestyle I can eat 1500-2000 calories of carbs today and be six pounds heavier tomorrow due to the water they suck up when eaten. Some people can do a straight 500 calorie increase and will start losing a pound or gaining a pound a week. I weigh each AM before I eat or drink so it is easy to track the results of my eating and drinking.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "At risk" - if you have been at a big calorie deficit or low carb then a glycogen/water weight bounce is more likely.

It's not fat though, just refilling your immediate use energy stores - so good weight if you want to think of it like that.
    If you are small then you shouldn't be at the high end of the range.

Personally I didn't get any bounce as I made sure I kept my deficit low and glycogen levels topped up due the unusual eating pattern I follow.

Chances are you will have to fine tune your intake anyway.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Why are you gaining? Have you struggled with an eating disorder? You don't say how much you lost or your history so it's kind of hard to suggest stuff. If your came from losing weight and aren't underweight then I would say do it slowly, if you had an eating disorder and are way too thin I'd say go straight to 2000.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    You keep making these threads and then never answer so we can give you more information?
  • chaarlotte289
    chaarlotte289 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You keep making these threads and then never answer so we can give you more information?

So sorry! Over the course of 3 months I've lost about 5 pounds on 1400-1600 calories. I'm too thin and need to gain back 5lbs for health. However, I do not want to be that person who increased and keeps gaining. So I'm trying to figure out how to do it with minimum water weight and the best possible outcome.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

So sorry! Over the course of 3 months I've lost about 5 pounds on 1400-1600 calories. I'm too thin and need to gain back 5lbs for health. However, I do not want to be that person who increased and keeps gaining. So I'm trying to figure out how to do it with minimum water weight and the best possible outcome.

Were you losing from originally overweight and overshot goal weight? Are you new to counting calories? If you lost that much it means you had a deficit of about 200 a day for those 3 months. So to gain, you would need to increase the 200 to maintenance and an additional 250 to gain a half a lb a week.
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

What about your health is affected without these 5 lbs? Could it be that you generally just require a better diet that is planned with more nutritious and macro balanced foods?