Who Moved My Cheese?

Options
HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
I found this interesting, not saying run buy the book. I found the review while looking for something else. I thought the concept was quite interesting though. Change is something I really struggle with, I find something that works for me and wrap my arms around it and it becomes my life, too much so at times. Then it is taken away frome me (my way of looking at it) and I am devastated! Whether it's job change, a death, a move, a change in a friendship, so many variations.

That's it, saw this and decided to share the review. It's an Amazon review and they sell the book so of course they think highly of it. Other reviews didn't find it so favorable they compared it to Jonathan Livingston Seagull, in that the concept has already been shared. I thought I'd get the book from the library and do a quick read as it's only 94 pages, I'm quite sure I'll get a bit of something out of it. :flowerforyou:

Who Moved My Cheese?
An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
By Spencer Johnson

Amazon.com Review
Change can be a blessing or a curse, depending on your perspective. The message of Who Moved My Cheese? is that all can come to see it as a blessing, if they understand the nature of cheese and the role it plays in their lives. Who Moved My Cheese? is a parable that takes place in a maze. Four beings live in that maze: Sniff and Scurry are mice--nonanalytical and nonjudgmental, they just want cheese and are willing to do whatever it takes to get it. Hem and Haw are "littlepeople," mouse-size humans who have an entirely different relationship with cheese. It's not just sustenance to them; it's their self-image. Their lives and belief systems are built around the cheese they've found. Most of us reading the story will see the cheese as something related to our livelihoods--our jobs, our career paths, the industries we work in--although it can stand for anything, from health to relationships. The point of the story is that we have to be alert to changes in the cheese, and be prepared to go running off in search of new sources of cheese when the cheese we have runs out.

Dr. Johnson, coauthor of The One Minute Manager and many other books, presents this parable to business, church groups, schools, military organizations--anyplace where you find people who may fear or resist change. And although more analytical and skeptical readers may find the tale a little too simplistic, its beauty is that it sums up all natural history in just 94 pages: Things change. They always have changed and always will change. And while there's no single way to deal with change, the consequence of pretending change won't happen is always the same: The cheese runs out. --Lou Schuler

Replies

• LadyLorax
    LadyLorax Posts: 20
    Options
    I've read the book and it is very powerful - and a quick read.

After reading your post, I think I am going to pick it up from the library and re-read it. Thanks! :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have that book. I read in one night. It was an interesting read....but I'm not sure I actually got anything out of it. I guess I seem to handle change quite well as is.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My boss is a fan of motivational books. I've had to read this for work several times (also other books by this author, The One Minute Manager, The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey).

Once he actually quized us on it once, lol. I didn't take the time to re-read it before the quiz and found a copy of it online and was able to skim through it really quick to try to remember key points. If you search hard enough you can find it for free.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    I too have/read this book LOVE IT!:bigsmile:
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I have heard of this book, but haven't read it .. I handle change pretty well myself, but think it would be a good book to read.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've read the book and seen the video. I love it! But I love almost any motivational type book/video I run across. The Race is another great one.