Article: 5 “unhealthy” foods we got all wrong

Options

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    im eating a doughnut right now and making meatloaf for dinner, that has bacon on top of it.

i haven't time to read their drivel.... I'm too busy making the foods i want to eat fit into my calorie allowance for the day....

I'm eating my second Krispy Creme donut of the day right now and I'm having pizza for supper. I like my life :p
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    Bacon is, by definition, cured pork. Your "uncured" bacon most likely lists celery juice as an ingredient. Celery is a great source of sodium nitrite and that's the stuff that cures it and turns it that tantalizing pink color and contributes to its flavor.

Real uncured bacon would be pork belly. Also delicious. But it's not bacon.
    </pork nerd>

Yes, it has this in it: Pork, Water, Less Than 2%: Salt, Vinegar, Celery Powder - so I still don't understand how that makes bacon bad.
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    So wait, let's see if I've got this right.
    Pork = Good
    Salt = Ok
    Salt + Pork + Water + Time = Bad

I don't get it. Is the water in bacon bad, or is it the time? Should I try to cut back on my water intake?

^ I'm with him. I don't understand.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Pork = Good
    Salt = Ok

I don't get it. Is the water in bacon bad, or is it the time? Should I try to cut back on my water intake?

Absolutely, water intoxication is a very serious problem.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    Bite me. I'm-a keep eating my bacon. (Although usually I have uncured turkey bacon, is that better???)

No, no it's not. That's a waste of calories that you could spend on real bacon. :tongue:

I actually really like it. Doesn't mean I don't have the real thing sometimes, but it's quicker to make and it tastes delicious.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    ive had maple bacon doughnuts like that before.

it wasn't nearly as good as I had built up in my mind (and i was soooooooooooo disappointed!) BUT... they used bacon bits and not the real stuff, which is kind of nasty anyways. Should I run across them with real bacon i would try it again....

now back to the stuff that will kill us....

Bacon bits? Those little soy thingies that people sprinkle on their salad and keep in their spice cabinet? Ew. You got cheated.

Why would you go to all the trouble of making a doughnut and then put bacon bits on top of it? This makes no sense.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

it wasn't nearly as good as I had built up in my mind (and i was soooooooooooo disappointed!) BUT... they used bacon bits and not the real stuff, which is kind of nasty anyways. Should I run across them with real bacon i would try it again....

Bacon bits? Those little soy thingies that people sprinkle on their salad and keep in their spice cabinet? Ew. You got cheated.

Why would you go to all the trouble of making a doughnut and then put bacon bits on top of it? This makes no sense.

It makes sense if the person who was making the doughnuts "accidentally" ate all the delicious bacon and then had to go scrounge up something similar to fulfill their commitment of "maple bacon doughnuts". Not that that's ever happened to me mind you....

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

It makes sense if the person who was making the doughnuts "accidentally" ate all the delicious bacon and then had to go scrounge up something similar to fulfill their commitment of "maple bacon doughnuts". Not that that's ever happened to me mind you....

Now it makes sense . . .

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Bacon is, by definition, cured pork. Your "uncured" bacon most likely lists celery juice as an ingredient. Celery is a great source of sodium nitrite and that's the stuff that cures it and turns it that tantalizing pink color and contributes to its flavor.

</pork nerd>

Yes, it has this in it: Pork, Water, Less Than 2%: Salt, Vinegar, Celery Powder - so I still don't understand how that makes bacon bad.
    Pork = Good
    Salt = Ok

It's bad because "processing". People that use that word to poo-poo foods have no idea what it means.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

</pork nerd>

Pork = Good
    Salt = Ok

It's bad because "processing". People that use that word to poo-poo foods have no idea what it means.

I try to keep poo poo away from my food, but that's just me...
  • Candylady12345
    Candylady12345 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MarilynTC wrote: »
    I never knew that avocados were once considered a "sinful treat"

Oh for sure! I recall the late 1970s or early 1980s they were shamed for their fat content, and who can forget the early/mid-1990's FAT FREE fad (i.e., the Snackwells Years).

I remember when Snackwell Devil Foods Cookies came out. Ladies on diets would come in and buy them by the case,couldn't keep them on the shelves.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    And now I want candied bacon. I guess I just live on the wild side.

http://tideandthyme.com/beer-candied-bacon/

You're welcome.

<3 you!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

i guess? ive never looked at them close enough to know what they are made of, but they certainly do not taste like real bacon! LOL
    im eating a doughnut right now and making meatloaf for dinner, that has bacon on top of it.

i haven't time to read their drivel.... I'm too busy making the foods i want to eat fit into my calorie allowance for the day....

I'm eating my second Krispy Creme donut of the day right now and I'm having pizza for supper. I like my life :p

LOL! Did you get your free dozen today, too???? ;) i had 2 donut holes this morning and a donut this afternoon. technically i could fit another donut in, but.... i guess ill cut myself off for now -- never know what i might want later LOLOL

i have meatloaf (with bacon on top) cooking in the oven now.....
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

</pork nerd>

Pork = Good
    Salt = Ok

Technically, cooking is "processing". Hell, CHEWING is processing. I hate it when people use the word to snub their noses at food they think is "bad".
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    Bite me. I'm-a keep eating my bacon. (Although usually I have uncured turkey bacon, is that better???)

No, no it's not. That's a waste of calories that you could spend on real bacon. :tongue:

I went to a Jewish university; despite there being separate kosher and non-kosher sides in the main cafeteria, no pork was allowed on campus. Four years of turkey bacon. :(
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Agree on sugar being bad, although bacon I beg to differ...but only if you eat pastured pork bacon that is uncurred. Not all bacon is created equal, if you eat the good stuff there is no reason to avoid at all. Saturated fat, red meat, also GOOD, GOOD, GOOD if the source is high quality coconut/palm oil and also meat from grass fed and finished cattle. A great book about all this is "Eat the Yolks". Never eat just egg whites, I mean ewe, it's like eating runny snot with no flavor, why? why? WHY?
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    201-donuts-32.jpg

BOOM! Bacon + Sugar = NSFW.

I want this. Do they deliver?

Yeah, I'd make some room for sugar if this was plopped down in front of me! Sugar is bad but you gotta live a little.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Technically, cooking is "processing". Hell, CHEWING is processing. I hate it when people use the word to snub their noses at food they think is "bad".
    Next fad diet: Eliminating the unnatural processing caused by hanging meat to drain. From now on, it's straight off the carcass for me.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options

</pork nerd>

People see the term "sodium nitrite" and assume it's bad stuff. Because it sounds like a chemical. And there was an article back in the '70s linking nitrate/nitrite to increased risk of cancer. That research is now discredited.

There really is no such thing as "uncured bacon". If it's not cured with pure sodium nitrite, it's cured from the nitrate/nitrite in celery. Or beets. The nitrates in celery powder convert to nitrite as part of the curing/aging process. The definition of bacon is that it has been cured. That cure is what increases its safety and shelf life and gives it a distinct flavor.

You can find plenty of articles that say too much cured meat is unhealthy. What I've never been able to find is why the nitrite in meat is somehow a greater danger than the nitrates in vegetables.

I'm guessing that the research that links excess cured meat intake to increased cancer risk may not be taking into account that other eating choices, like too much food overall, may be more of a contributor than the sodium nitrite.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I never knew that avocados were once considered a "sinful treat"

I have a sister who won't touch avocados because Jenny Craig told her they had too much "fat" and must be avoided. About 3 years ago.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    So basically they're letting us know that everything we "knew" about foods being unhealthy was wrong, but now we "know" that sugar and bacon are going to kill us...Until we find out that what we now "know" might be wrong? But for now just trust us?

Yeah, I think I'll keep eating my bacon, and now I'm off to have some ice cream.

Rigger