Almond..what are the benefits?

Options
Skmellyg
Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
The title says it all, can someone give me a break down what are the nutritional benefits of almonds and how much I should consume in a day.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,948 Member
    Options
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3615?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=almonds

Their nutrient and calorie dense and most of the calories are from fat, monounsaturated and some omega 6 with no omega3's. Decent Vit E and as you can see from the link, almonds have a good amount of minerals. Personally I don't consume nuts often simply because I can think of other foods I'd rather have on a calorie for calorie basis.
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Almonds are among the healthiest tree nuts. They contain unsaturated fats, healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, Vitamin E, minerals, and other substances that promote heart health and lower cholesterol. Good fats can lower bad cholesterol levels. The danger for us dieters is in the high calories. About 11-12 almonds is half an ounce - I limit my daily intake to 1oz at most (22-24 almonds). Your best best is raw, unsalted almonds. I like to snack on them in the afternoon at work. Gives me energy and breaks up the long stretch between lunch & dinner for me. Just make sure you count them - the calories add up fast.

Congrats on your 31lb loss - that's great!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,948 Member
    Options
    Almonds are among the healthiest tree nuts. They contain unsaturated fats, healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, Vitamin E, minerals, and other substances that promote heart health and lower cholesterol. Good fats can lower bad cholesterol levels. The danger for us dieters is in the high calories. About 11-12 almonds is half an ounce - I limit my daily intake to 1oz at most (22-24 almonds). Your best best is raw, unsalted almonds. I like to snack on them in the afternoon at work. Gives me energy and breaks up the long stretch between lunch & dinner for me. Just make sure you count them - the calories add up fast.

Congrats on your 31lb loss - that's great!!
    Nope, no omega 3's in almonds. Walnuts are a good source of omega 3's though, and to me they taste better than almonds.
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the correction - good to know. Almonds still have healthy fats. I like using walnuts to make pesto, instead of pine nuts. Btw, 14 walnut halves are about an oz.