How to choose a workout program?

Options
Hi all! Just some background info: I've lost 75 lbs since last March and I started with a personal trainer last October. I started working at a gym last June, so I had my membership for free and my trainer half off. I've recently gotten a new job and can't afford a membership and full price trainer, so I'm trying to stick with it on my own! My trainer had me doing a lot of full-body stuff, but I'm more interested in lifting heavier and gaining muscle. I've heard 5x5 and new rules of lifting for women were good. I think I've got form down, I'm just not really sure what to do when, how many days, how many reps, etc. Does anyone have a preference of program or have any advice on what would be best to start with next? I'm still a little intimidated by the gym, despite having been working out since last year. This will be my first time to go at it solo, so I'd appreciate any advice!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Look at both of the programs you mentioned and they will tell you how many days, how many reps, etc. The good programs that are mentioned frequently (SL5x5, ICF 5x5, NROLFW, Strong Curves, etc.) all focus on the compound lifts that are central to a good program. Some of them have additional exercises. The programs with lower reps (generally 5 rep range) are going to be more focused on building strength while those with higher reps (8-12+) will be more focused on hypertrophy, or building muscle. There is overlap--you don't magically stop building muscle once you go below 8 reps and stop building strength above 5 reps--but that's a general guideline.

For me, doing compound lifts in the strength range works better when I am eating in a deficit. I can go either way when maintaining or eating above maintenance but hypertrophy range while in a deficit doesn't fit me. That may be different for you but at a certain point you just have to pick one, jump in, and do it for (ideally) a few months before deciding whether to switch to another program or not.
  • dirtydirtysouf
    dirtydirtysouf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out Jim Wendlers 5/3/1. I have 3 ladies at the gym running it with me and they are making great progress in tbe bench, sqt, deadlift and overhead
  • sdort156
    sdort156 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    5x5 Stronglifts has a free app which tells you when to workout and which workout to do. It's awesome.