Organic foods

Options
HSokol
HSokol Posts: 67 Member
I've been trying to decide which foods really are best to ingest and have been wondering which foods are best to buy organic. I've been searching on google to find like a top ten list or something of foods that really are worth it to buy organic. Does anyone have any input, a list or a link to a site?

Replies

• somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of sites out there with "the dirty dozen" fruits and veggies, meaning those with the highest pesticide content. I try to buy as much organic produce as I can but if I can't find a certain thing organic, I will buy conventional. The exception for me is dairy, I won't eat non organic dairy. I try to buy free range, veg fed meat, but I don't eat a ton of meat anyways so I'm not as concerned about it like the dairy. As far as produce goes organic is not much more expensive than regular. Organic meat is really, expensive (like triple the price of regular) so I don't worry about it too much, but I do opt to buy hormone free, free range etc.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Organic does not mean pesticide herbicide or fungicide free. Organic producers can use and do use pesticides, since they have to use older pesticides they need to use more to protect their crops then the farmer who is using the new pesticides that target the specific insect.

If you want to buy organic to feel good go ahead. I am not sure of this statistic but a large portion of organic produce is imported from countries like China. Now if you were buying organic because that was the closest farms to you then that I can totally understand shipping food uses resources and puts pollution in to the environment.