Health-related book suggestions?

Options
Does anyone have any weight loss/food/fitness/etc. book suggestions? I'm looking for non-fiction or memoirs as opposed to novels. I need something good to read outside this weekend.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you're looking for something fun but also inspiring, "Such a pretty fat" by Jen Lancaster is a good weekend read.

A Note From Jen Lancaster on the book:

"To whom the fat rolls...I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possibly be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a dose healthy of positive self-esteem. It's a health matter, and here on the eve of my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know, die. Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a foot to adult onset diabetes?"
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    If you're looking for something fun but also inspiring, "Such a pretty fat" by Jen Lancaster is a good weekend read.

A Note From Jen Lancaster on the book:

"To whom the fat rolls...I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possibly be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a dose healthy of positive self-esteem. It's a health matter, and here on the eve of my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know, die. Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a foot to adult onset diabetes?"

This looks awesome!! Thank you!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I like Michael Pollan's work, such as "In Defense of Food"
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I just got the Strong Curves book and it's pretty excellent so far. I thought I was fairly well-educated on fitness, muscle development, and nutrition but I'm learning a lot and improving my own workouts significantly.