Is this Protein World ad body shaming?

Perhaps you've read about this story. So, what do you think? Is this billboard ad a case of body shaming? In your view, do you think it says that only slender people should go to the beach?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/apr/27/mass-demonstration-planned-over-beach-body-ready-tube-advert

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    There was a big thread on this yesterday.

No, I don't find it to be body shaming.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    I must have missed the thread. My apologies. Was it in this specific forum?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    just because there is a picture of someone thin and healthy looking doesn't mean they are body shaming anyone. people need to quit being so sensitive and get over it.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Not at all.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Generally no. Except that this already beautiful woman has been photoshopped to high heaven! So it's body shaming in the respect that they are selling the unattainable. That is my only issue.
  • spartan_d
    Here is the problem that I have with these protests. The critics claim that the ad says you MUST be thin if you want to hit the beach.

The thing is, the ad says no such thing. It simply asks if you're beach ready. There is this general understanding that most people do want to look good when they're wearing swimwear. The ad most certainly does not say that if you don't look slender, you shouldn't wear a bathing suit.

This is kinda like the whole Maria Kang controversy with her "What's your excuse?" slogan. Critics lambasted her for supposedly saying that women HAVE to look as fit as her. Ms. Kang said no such thing, though. Rather, her photo simply illustrated that she managed to remain remarkably fit despite having three children. At no point did she say that every woman must look like her or reach her level of physical fitness.

People need to avoid blowing these things out of proportion.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Nope... Its no more offensive than David Beckham in his pants, or weight watchers before and after photos.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    How many calories does "being pointlessly outraged over things that aren't important" burn?

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths to which people will go to in order to be offended over silliest things.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    No, I didn't think the ad was body shaming.

However, I did think their response to the protests was body-shaming. Never OK to call anyone a "fatty" in my opinion.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    Generally no. Except that this already beautiful woman has been photoshopped to high heaven! So it's body shaming in the respect that they are selling the unattainable. That is my only issue.

Yep!
    How to be beach body ready? Take your body to the beach.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Not offended at all... I just wish they didn't photoshop her that much.
  • spartan_d
    What if the ad had featured a male model instead? I suspect that there wouldn't be any kind of outrage. Men just don't tend to react that way, even when the ideals presented appear to be unattainable.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    What if the ad had featured a male model instead? I suspect that there wouldn't be any kind of outrage. Men just don't tend to react that way, even when the ideals presented appear to be unattainable.
    Correct, you could have an image of Arnold in his prime with the same words around him and no one would bat an eye.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Correct, you could have an image of Arnold in his prime with the same words around him and no one would bat an eye.

Agreed. Only people who get offended by stuff like this are insecure and don't want to do anything about it. So rather than fix the self esteem problem and do the work to love them self, they'd rather make the world not show them their insecurities outright.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    There's no missing the expression of being about ready to pass out on her face.
  • spartan_d
    Right. When a man is depicted as having a beach body, people understand that this in no way suggests that only lean, muscular men should go to the beach.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I heard this story on the news this morning but this is my first time seeing the ad. Apparently people are going crazy about it and defacing it. I think it's rediculous. Wouldn't bother me at all or make me by the product. And I do purchase protein supps but that ad would not appeal to me or make me want to find out further information about the product.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    No they are not. There are a 100 magazine sitting on the magazine rack right now with the same message "Get your Beach Body for Summer" or "How to Get a Beach Body" with plenty of size 0 models that have been photo shopped. yadi yadi yadi..

They are trying to sell a product and a sexy size 0 sells products. It just a marketing ploy...

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    What I think is that the term "body shaming" is horribly overused and trite at this point. Some people think everything is body shaming. Lighten up, people. There's absolutely nothing positive about being so overly sensitive and offended by everything.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    I think perhaps the real problem with protein world is that they claim to sell 'health' and being fit. Are meal replacements and 'fat melters' really the correct way to go about this? I don't find the advert sexist because they also have one with a man as the 'aspirational' figure with an equally airbrushed physique, but I find it concerning that this company is preying on the insecurities of others whilst selling muck (I actually have tried their protein powder, thought it was disgusting).
  • spartan_d
    Of course, protein shakes and the like aren't "the" right way to get fit. As we all know, it's a combination of diet and exercise. The protein shakes are simply one of the various tools that one can use.

They don't claim that their products alone would be sufficient, or even absolutely necessary, so I don't have a problem with that.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Yea, I don't have a problem with the advert in that respect - and realistically if you are trying to sell a weight loss aid, you will use a slim model to advertise it; all companies do this! I think it is better than some of the photoshopped images you get of thin individuals in jeans 10 sizes too big for them to be like 'look how much weight I have lost!'. I think they are a small fry in larger issue - as a woman, I am sick of being told through advertising that I should look a specific way to be considered attractive, and I expect alot of men feel the same way (seriously, the in the protein world advert is more kill-king-kong-with-my-bare-hands ready than beach ready). It is a shame that protein world couldn't have engaed with concerns - could have created an interesting discussion between advertiser, customer, and non-customers.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    If the dumbasses protesting the "body shaming" would put half as much thought into what they cram into their body they wouldn't have to bother looking for new ways to be creatively thin-skinned.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    This honestly looks no different to me than any other ad selling any fitness or weight loss product, whether that product is aimed at men or women. Regardless of what many people seem to believe, the mere fact that a thin woman has the effrontery to exist and be visible is not "body shaming."
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    I do not have a problem with the add itself. I have a problem with what Katie said and that the company was happy she agreed with them, which to me says that they agree with what she said. I do not think people should me messing up the advertisement, but insulting the people who signed the petition is not making me look favorably on the company.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    The guerilla response is more interesting than the original generic and boring ad. Not sure who their target market is either--she doesn't appear to be a fitness model--it is a "protein" product right? Well they got their name out there--let us know how this story ends.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Nope, not at all.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    People are complaining about the model instead of the money-stealing useless supplements she's being used to sell?

Never change, humanity....
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    I don't think it's body shaming at all ... it's a picture of a healthy looking model!! She doesn't have bones jutting out nor does she have excess fat hanging out!! What's the difference between this and say Calvin Klein underwear ads?! Are they saying that to wear their underwear you have to have the body of Kendall Jenner or Justin Beiber?! NO! People need to get a grip complaining about a poster, it's pathetic! And the worst part is, most of the people complaining are probably unhealthy and unfit!! It all boils down to jealousy and bitterness with something like this. She looks amazing in a bikini, those moaning probably don't. End of!