How the heck to you log a bite?

Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    First of all, I avoid those sample displays at grocery stores.

Funny thing ... I haven't encountered anyone handing out free samples in a long time. And then, moments after I typed this, I walked into Target and someone was standing there handing out chocolates!!!

I think I startled the girl handing them out by almost sprinting away. :lol: It wasn't quite that bad, but nothing like presenting me with a free sample of my weakness moments after I type something like that!!

Pre-MFP, I'd have taken it. I might have even circled around and returned half an hour later for another. But I'm on a mission now. :)

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Just quick add an estimated calorie guess
  • kcgcchit
    kcgcchit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Camo_XXX...that is absolutely brilliant! Using that one from now on.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The easy way is not to put things in your mouth if you're not going to eat a full serving. Why do you want to eat samples at the grocery store anyway? God only knows how long those things have been sitting there gathering dust or getting overcooked. And don't take bites of other people's food, ew. If you want pizza, get a slice; if you want a sandwich, make one. Use a knife to get peanut butter out of the jar and wipe it clean on the bread or whatever.

If you want food, eat. If you're not hungry enough to eat, you shouldn't be putting food in your mouth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    aevonvett wrote: »
    I want to be a good little logger and mark down everything that goes into my mouth. But how in the heck to you log something that seems too small to be logged? For example, samples at grocery stores, licking the peanut butter off the spoon, a bite of my boyfriend's pizza/sandwich. Ok, hivemind, give me the best you got.

Logging helped me break these habits of nibbling here and there, licking the spoon, etc. I just don't do it.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I don't have those small bites that often, so I just don't log them.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take bites of things as I"m cooking. Those I don't log because the calories are already counted in the total recipe. So as long as I eat all that I cooked it should be fine. At the store, I sometimes avoid the samples, sometimes eat them and pretend that they don't count (ha), sometimes just log them as a guestimated number of calories. Say maybe 50.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm probably OCD here but I just don't lick spoons, take tastes while cooking, etc hardly EVER. Keeping a food diary has gotten me in the habit of avoiding that behavior.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Licking the spoon makes me happy. Sneaking a couple of fries off of my friend's plate makes me more satisfied with the choice of entrée selection I've made which is more appropriately aligned with my intake goals. For me the little bites HELP keep me on track.
    But I do log them! Something that I do often is quickly log the item in a full portion, then adjust down to my (over)estimate of calories consumed when I have the free time later. That way I don't forget that I ate it, nor do I spend a half hour at the dinner table on my phone...so annoying.
  • awrice1970
    awrice1970 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I don't. If I'm counting 1 bite of something for the day then I have bigger issues.

Spot on. I wish I could 'like' this comment.
  • louise3uk
    louise3uk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Those who are saying don't log little bites be careful. I had 3 jelly babies today which I was shocked to discover had nearly 70 calories. Add another 3 and you've hit 140cal, things slowly add up and mindlessly "biting" can be dangerous to weight loss.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I also want to be consistent but sometimes you just can't. What you could always try, is putting the whole plate/whatever you're eating from on the scale, and then taking one bite and you'll see the difference? But I stopped doing that because it's only a matter of 10-20 cals and as long you don't do it all day everyday, it shouldn't make a (significant) difference, plus you won't get obsessed (I almost got obsessed logging at one point and it's no fun)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I don't. If I'm counting 1 bite of something for the day then I have bigger issues.

When I have a 250 calories deficit, just 3 50 calorie bites and a bit of underestimating somewhere wipe off my deficit.

It definitely adds up... Even one chip with a tablespoon of guacamole is probably 50 calories... or a piece of bread with 1/2 ounce of cheese...

Typically I just do quick calories though... but I don't really have bites anymore, as I'm wearing dental aligners (which have probably saved me a lot of calories while grocery shopping, lol).