I did it before, I know I can do it again!

Options
shainasb310
shainasb310 Posts: 246 Member
My weight issues started after having my daughter (8 YEARS AGO!!!) I am always "on a diet" and working on it but my problem is 100% no self discipline! I am easily swayed to skip the gym, go out and eat, have a drink, etc. etc. And having a very large social group doesn't help one bit! Who wants to go to all the parties and BBQ's and not have any of the yummy food and drink all over the place? I know I don't!

But I need a change! Summer is around the corner and I am going to be the one NOT in the pool again :neutral: I lost 27 pounds a couple years ago simply by eating right and walking/jogging an hour at lunch each day from my office to a nearby park and counting my calories. And now here I am a member at LA Fitness for over a year and up 16 pounds.

As of yesterday I decided to get strict with calorie tracking again sticking to a workout plan. I spend my lunch breaks at the gym because its really the only time I can be there during the week but it only allows me 50 minutes to an hour so I need some tips on how to maximize the time I have. I do a spin class Wednesdays and Saturdays and a Boot Camp that consists of circuit training/boxing combos (SUPER BUTT KICKER) and I sort of willy nilly my way around the rest of the week.

Any advice and tips would be highly appreciated! The more friends the merrier so please add me as well! I can do it! And you can too!

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I think the best advice I can give is to look at this as a lifestyle change and you'll be doing this for the rest of your life not just because summer is nearly here.
  • kguided
    kguided Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree with Strong-Curves, shainasb310. This is a lifestyle change you're making, not an event. I got great advice from my doctor who told me to drop 2-3 pounds a month because creating a healthier lifestyle is challenging. Taking it slow is much better plus you won't burn yourself out. You want this life change to be enjoyable for you. It's essential to you being successful-permanently. Also do you like the activities that you're doing to lose weight and be healthy? If not, find ones you like.
  • shainasb310
    Options
    I think the best advice I can give is to look at this as a lifestyle change and you'll be doing this for the rest of your life not just because summer is nearly here.

kguided wrote: »
    I agree with Strong-Curves, shainasb310. This is a lifestyle change you're making, not an event. I got great advice from my doctor who told me to drop 2-3 pounds a month because creating a healthier lifestyle is challenging. Taking it slow is much better plus you won't burn yourself out. You want this life change to be enjoyable for you. It's essential to you being successful-permanently. Also do you like the activities that you're doing to lose weight and be healthy? If not, find ones you like.

Thank you for your thoughts! I should clarify that I absolutely am doing this for the long term lifestyle change. But looking back to when I lost the weight in the past and now going on two summers with the same "This time it will be different" thought process and being in the same boat, I realize how much time I have let pass by and not changed a thing.

• Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation. I lost a little over 30 lbs three years ago, and even did well keeping my weight gain healthy during my last pregnancy, and then I gained 15+ over the last year (due to stress, and other life situations). I'm also getting back in shape and restarting. This is week 2! :) You'll do it if you're really ready for a change.
  • Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are getting enough exercise. If you're thinking of skipping the gym- think of it like work. As in, you HAVE to go to work 5 days a week, right? You can only miss work for a very good reason! And Just keep plugging away with the calorie counting.
  • shainasb310
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation. I lost a little over 30 lbs three years ago, and even did well keeping my weight gain healthy during my last pregnancy, and then I gained 15+ over the last year (due to stress, and other life situations). I'm also getting back in shape and restarting. This is week 2! :) You'll do it if you're really ready for a change.

I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your progress at week 12 and 22 and 32 and so on and so on!
  • shainasb310
    Options
    Camarose79 wrote: »
    It sounds like you are getting enough exercise. If you're thinking of skipping the gym- think of it like work. As in, you HAVE to go to work 5 days a week, right? You can only miss work for a very good reason! And Just keep plugging away with the calorie counting.

I really like your thought process! I've never put it that way to myself before. A co worker has told me about an app he uses that holds you accountable to work out by "checking in" every time you are at the gym and adding a small amount of the pot to your account and when you skip the gym, you pay whatever the set amount is you determine. I haven't gained the nerve to be financially responsible yet!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    1. you can do it,
    get a plan, change your habits, have healthy foods available all the time and like Bob says on biggest losers, have those sneakers ready. you have to put the work in and make yourself be disciplined.
  • shainasb310
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    1. you can do it,
    get a plan, change your habits, have healthy foods available all the time and like Bob says on biggest losers, have those sneakers ready. you have to put the work in and make yourself be disciplined.

No pain, no gain!!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Welcome back- You've got this!
  • shainasb310
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Welcome back- You've got this!

Thank you!! I just checked out your photos and I need amazing guns like yours!