Greek yogurt

Options

Replies

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I often toss in half a scoop of protein powder if I'm trying to get a full serving. It's a great way to flavour your yogourt as well if you have interesting protein powder flavours.
    If you can't find the higher protein brands (Fage really IS one of the best for protein), and don't mind departing from protein via actual food source, ^ this is a great way to go!
  • Lady_jane_
    Lady_jane_ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've never seen Fage in Canada. I tried it last time I went to the States, I wish I could find it here.

OP - I also eat the Oikos Greek. The only option I can give you for lower carbs is to get the plain flavour instead of vanilla, it has less sugar, and maybe add some protein powder to it.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I like to take the plain yogurt and add my own berries, some fiber one and/or a tsp of honey. Its way less sugar than the already containing fruit/honey versions.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    CM9178 wrote: »
    Not enough information here... what's the serving size, what type of the Oikos is it?

I eat Fage 2%. A 227 g (1 cup) serving, has 9 grams of carbs and 23 grams of protein.

how many calories and fat is in that?

170 calories and 4.5 grams of fat.

• glyphhen
    glyphhen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to branch out a bit from Greek yogurt, Icelandic yogurt has a really great protein:anything else ratio. My favorite is siggi's (which is also the easiest to find). It's not cheap (usually around $1.50 per yogurt), but the plain version has 15g of protein for only 80 calories, with no fat and only 5g of carbs and 4g of sugar. They're too expensive to buy a ton of at a time for me, but they really help boost my protein intake while allowing me to stay under my calorie limits. Plus, they're delicious and come in some really interesting flavors.
  • Chazsteers
    Chazsteers Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not enough information here... what's the serving size, what type of the Oikos is it?

I eat Fage 2%. A 227 g (1 cup) serving, has 9 grams of carbs and 23 grams of protein.

you should try the 0% fat it has 97 Calories

I like this with seed and Honey or some Goji Berries
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

170 calories and 4.5 grams of fat.

ughh a little to high too fit into my macros. I'll stick with the Fage 0%
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I've been trying the Yoplait Whips- Its 100 calories, 15G Carb, 9G Protein, 0 Fat or the Danon Lite and Fit 80 calories, 12G protein, 0 Fat, 9 Carb
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I've been trying the Yoplait Whips- Its 100 calories, 15G Carb, 9G Protein, 0 Fat or the Danon Lite and Fit 80 calories, 12G protein, 0 Fat, 9 Carb

not very much protein in the Yoplait Whips, how much sugar is in those?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

not very much protein in the Yoplait Whips, how much sugar is in those?

I had to go look it up. The whips have 12g sugar. But I don't track sugar, I track fiber instead.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    glyphhen wrote: »
    If you're willing to branch out a bit from Greek yogurt, Icelandic yogurt has a really great protein:anything else ratio. My favorite is siggi's (which is also the easiest to find). It's not cheap (usually around $1.50 per yogurt), but the plain version has 15g of protein for only 80 calories, with no fat and only 5g of carbs and 4g of sugar. They're too expensive to buy a ton of at a time for me, but they really help boost my protein intake while allowing me to stay under my calorie limits. Plus, they're delicious and come in some really interesting flavors.

I love the Siggis, too! I wait for it to go on sale and then I really stock up, my favorite is the Raspberry, 100 cal per container, 0 fat, 14g protein. Really creamy, even though it has no fat. I also like that it isn't sweet, even the flavoured ones just have some fresh fruit, no sweeteners. I don't like the too-sweet brands at all.
  • crysofmyk
    crysofmyk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other posts, but I'd advise to stick with Fage or chiobani. Other Greek yogurts are not Greek yogurt, they are Greek-like. They use fillers and thickeners to make it the same consistency because it is faster and cheaper for them to do so. When they do that the protein goes way down. I heard a program on NPR that discussed it all. You could also make your own ;-)
  • Shapeox
    Shapeox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For more proteins I suggest Greek yoghurt with almond, it's super tasty and only 180 cal if you put 10 almond
  • phxhiker
    phxhiker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Green Mountain Greek Yogurt has like 80 cals and 22grams of protein per serving.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    glyphhen wrote: »

I love the Siggis, too! I wait for it to go on sale and then I really stock up, my favorite is the Raspberry, 100 cal per container, 0 fat, 14g protein. Really creamy, even though it has no fat. I also like that it isn't sweet, even the flavoured ones just have some fresh fruit, no sweeteners. I don't like the too-sweet brands at all.

Oh, that's interesting to know. I'll have to see if Whole Foods carries Siggis and give it a try.

• glyphhen
    glyphhen Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh, that's interesting to know. I'll have to see if Whole Foods carries Siggis and give it a try.

Whole Foods is where I typically get mine, though the not-as-fancy grocery store I also shop at (Giant) has them in stock from time to time. Same price, though, so as HeySwoleSister mentioned, if you find them on sale you should definitely stock up.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I don't know about 'low carb', but I get Dannon Greek Light & Fit, which is 80 calories, 12g protein and 8 carbs.

I love this brand! I tried Greek yogurt once or twice before, and couldn't get over the sourness and the texture. Maybe my taste buds have changed, but I had a coupon for Light & Fit and bought some, and now that I've tried it I can't get enough. Low sugar, within my calorie mark, decent amount of protein, and filling for its size, to boot. And most importantly, tasty.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat plain Fage 0%. It is 170 g (6 oz) container. 100 calories, 18g protein, 7g carbs, 7g sugar.
    I add my own berries to it.

I just bought 10 of these today and ate one at lunch for the first time mixed with flax and chia seeds. I thought the taste was pretty good for being plain. I was eating Dannon light & fit before this. But I am trying to cut back a little on the artificial sweeteners.
  • Meorainthemaking
    Meorainthemaking Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wallaby organic has a great plain fat free greek with 24g protein per serving. I buy the large tubs for a little over $5 usd.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    A second brand that I also enjoy is Tillamook's Farmstyle Greek.

I agree and I try to buy it when it's on sale close to pull date. Otherwise, I buy Kirkland Greek yogurt.