Do you log every morsel?

Options

Replies

• sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything I actually eat (or drink if it has calories). But I've seen people who log things like teabags (someone mentioned that) or stevia drops or extracts in the 1/8 of a tsp. range or splenda packets etc., and if I tried to do that I would drive myself crazy, and see no need for it. I don't pop a few things in my mouth however, if I'm going to have watermelon I measure out some and log it, same with nuts. :)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I'll log any ingredients that have reasonable calorie values (i.e. a tbsp. of salsa on my eggs in the morning, if I lighten my coffee, etc) Spices and seasonings that like cumin or paprika that are used in nominal amounts I don't bother with.

If I've been maintaining my goals for a while and I grab a sample at the supermarket, I'll just channel Elsa and Let it Go....
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes. Even clear tea and black coffee. It is important for me to keep being accountable. I really managed to lose my estimated 1 lb per week since I started logging in December and it is because I am using MPF like it was intended.

Little cheats like an almond here and there is what caused me to gain weight in the first place.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yes - every single thing

it mounts up

34 cents here, 34 cents there..it mounts up

sorry couldn't resist hehehe :p
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,165 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    vgnfarmer wrote: »
    I don't log things that are very low cal like black coffee or mustard but I log things with more than 5 calories. 1 brazil nut has 23 cal!

Gosh I wish nuts weren't so high in calories. Hard to believe one little nut can affect your weight!

One won't ... but who stops at just one nut?

If you're anything like me, you grab 2 or 3 ... or a "small" handful ... and next thing you know, you've downed 100 or 200 or more calories.

• DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I really try to. If I take a bite or two out of something I might not log it but I approximate how many calories and do a little more exercise to cover it.
  • Ame_ly
    Ame_ly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you have 'little snacks' too often it will add up so ye you should log it.

For me it depends: somedays I log everything(from that small bite I took from someone's apple, to every tea and the lemon slice I added in my water glass - I just like to see jt there) . Sometimes I don't bother logging stuff that are like below 10 cal. Sometimes I have to log everything(like when I'm baking a lot of stuff for an event, I usually end up with 200 cals only from tasting).
    However my goal is to increase my calorie intake. If you're trying to lose weight you should try and be as accurate as you can. It might not seem much but that finger of mayonnaise added with that tbs of peanut butter could be the reason behjnd your plateu.
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Most of the time. Healthy veggies or fruit I am pretty lax on but any processed foods/meats/carbs, Absolutely!

I think the other component to an accurate calorie count is to weigh your food. Nutrition labels have a weight measurement right beside the serving size so its super easy.

plr7k1l4hrgh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My son had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and asked if I wanted a bite... I definitely logged the bite...
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yes - the small stuff adds up. There's a WW saying - BLT (Bites, Licks, Tastes) should all be logged. One thing I've carried with me from that program, lol.

I agree in theory but struggle with how to do this practically. My husband bought a pretzel at the mall yesterday. I ate one bite. How do I log that? We are at the mall so no scale. Just 50 or so quick calories?
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't bother logging tiny bites of things, I just try to stay under my daily calorie goal by around 100 calories to make up for anything I didn't log. I don't go snacking on nuts or any high calorie foods without logging them. But if I measure out one serving of crackers and then decide to eat one more cracker, I don't log that. I also don't eat back my exercise calories.

Not only that, but how do you even attempt to log one bite of a sandwich? It is nearly impossible.
    You're either going to be way under or way over -the chance of actually logging that accurately is probably one in a million. I think you should just be more strict and not take bites or tastes of things if you're that worried about logging them. Or don't eat EXACTLY at your calorie goal, to leave some room for small things that aren't logged or underestimating, etc.

If I know that I spent the entire day snacking on stuff and definitely consumed a few hundred extra calories, then yes I"ll try to log those as best as I can. But, if I know I only had one tiny bite of something all day, I'm not going to bother logging it. If it becomes a habit where I'm doing that every day, then I need to make changes in how/what I'm eating.
  • CM9178
    edited April 2015
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I read on another post, someone who Quick Adds 100 calories at the beginning of her day to account for the small stuff she doesn't log. I thought that was a good idea.

I don't log diet soda, black coffee, herbs or spices or hot sauce, including siracha. I feel like it must have calories though and use quite a bit sometimes! I love siracha....

I do log lettuce, but not the splash of vinegar I might put on the lettuce - weird right?

I don't log herbs, spices or vinegar.. because the calories in what I'm consuming are too miniscule. and I'm not going to sit there and measure out 1 tsp of vinegar. To me, that's just too obsessive.

Little cheats here and there are definitely NOT what caused me to be overweight in the first place. I am overweight due to years of not eating right, over eating, and too much fast food.
  • Sassymama66_75HARD
    Sassymama66_75HARD Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes, even the one sugar free wintergreen mint I have after lunch some days. I can't be trusted to choose the right things not to log so I log everything.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Yes - the small stuff adds up. There's a WW saying - BLT (Bites, Licks, Tastes) should all be logged. One thing I've carried with me from that program, lol.

I agree in theory but struggle with how to do this practically. My husband bought a pretzel at the mall yesterday. I ate one bite. How do I log that? We are at the mall so no scale. Just 50 or so quick calories?

I wouldn't log it, its not going to keep you from losing weight unless you do that many times a day, every day of the week.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of quick adding calories. I have been putting 100 on every day for the past few days. Protects my calorie limit if I do grab a nut or 2...
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i do when im losing, yes.. doesnt work if you dont... You tuck a few almonds away every day, plus a few other picky bits, you can quiet easily find yourself not in deficit and therefore not losing weight
  • toughlove25
    toughlove25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I normally check the calories in a serving size. So if I eat about 1/4 of a serving thats negligible I dont bother to put it in. Thats normally a limit of 50 calories anything below that is not worth the effort. But if I eat 3 or 4 items that add up to lets say 40 each then I do add them individually.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I log anything with appreciable calories. So watermelon and almonds, yes. Diet pop or a single splenda packet, a tea bag or my water...no. 1/3 cup of splenda. ..yeah.

I also weigh and measure as closely as possible
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I don't log is free samples at the grocery store, I figure they wouldn't be free if I had to log them.
  • PostExamsHealthBinge
    PostExamsHealthBinge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hell yes, almonds and melon are quite calorific as well so it will make a difference! I even log chewing gum