Race Across America Bike Race...Why Isn't This "News"?

Options
My friend, Maria, starts the Race Across America bike race tomorrow at noon (PST) in Oceanside, CA, ending 12 days later in Annapolis, MD. Racers average about 2 hrs of sleep/day, recently voted the most grueling endurance event in the world, almost twice as long as the Tour de France, in half the time. She's doing this to raise money for brain cancer research, after her sister Jenny was diagnosed w/this terminal condition last Oct. Only about half of the people who enter this race even finish. In addition to having to make time station cut-offs, the racers deal w/severe sleep deprivation symptoms like hallucinations, and physical conditions that ONLY show up in this race like Shermer's Neck (where the neck muscles actually give out & people can't hold their heads up any longer). About 2/3 of the racers come from other countries to compete, about 20% are women. So in light of this incredibly challenging race...how come it doesn't make the news like the Tour de France, because..."This ain't no 'tour.'" Here's the link ifanyone's interested in reading more about it... www.3000milestoacure.com

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    RAAM was more popular back in the mid-1980s-early 1990s.

I know it's different when you know someone who is in it and it's a great challenge. I still have a tape that I recorded off the weekend network coverage of Pete Penseyres record-setting ride in 1986.

I think, in general, the cycling community turned its back on the event because the general feeling was that it was not really a sporting event, but a challenge on how much physical damage one could endure in a short period of time. After a couple of unsupported riders were killed, stricter rules were enforced, and I believe they started to require that potential riders participate and perform to a certain standard in qualifying rides. That took much of the quixotic drama out of it and it became more restrictive.

In short, most people just stopped caring. I'm actually surprised to hear they are still doing it.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yes, they do have to qualify for RAAM now. My friend actually set records for the a 12 hr, 24 hr, & a couple of other races. Sometimes I think that if there aren't a lot of people who are willing to attempt it, the ones who don't try to minimize it. But to me, this is a feat as great as any ultra distance event on foot or bike. I think the Wall Street Journal is supposed to be doing a story about my friend today. She rides a "new" recumbent...it's front wheel drive & elevated to a regular bike level, not low to the ground. It's called a Cruzbike, you can see photos here... http://www.cruzbike.com/ Unlike other recumbents, it climbs better, although still not as well as standards. But it is more ergonomically correct, so they're hoping to avoid some of the more common physical problems.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    RAAM was more popular back in the mid-1980s-early 1990s.

I know it's different when you know someone who is in it and it's a great challenge. I still have a tape that I recorded off the weekend network coverage of Pete Penseyres record-setting ride in 1986.

I think, in general, the cycling community turned its back on the event because the general feeling was that it was not really a sporting event, but a challenge on how much physical damage one could endure in a short period of time. After a couple of unsupported riders were killed, stricter rules were enforced, and I believe they started to require that potential riders participate and perform to a certain standard in qualifying rides. That took much of the quixotic drama out of it and it became more restrictive.

In short, most people just stopped caring. I'm actually surprised to hear they are still doing it.

You ought to take a look at it this year. My friend was in 2nd place for women, ahead of 29% of the men, when her follow vehicle was rear ended by a woman who had reached for a dropped cell phone doing 55mph. The follow vehicle was totaled, as well as 2 back up bikes on the back, but thank God crew only received minor cuts & scrapes. After 24 hrs to replace damaged equipment & vehicles, she restarted the race dead last. But now she's passed the 2 men at the back of the pack, as well as 2 women, is now in 1st place for her division, 2nd overall for women, gaining on the woman in first who's in the younger division, & still ahead of some of the men & they've just reached the half way mark in KS. Talk about NEVER GIVE UP!
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    What a inspiring woman, I've just read about her through that link you posted, amazing speed distance the list goes on keep us posted on how well she gets on there can't be many more days to go now thanks for sharing this post x
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You should read "Hell on Two Wheels" by Amy Snyder.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    Yes, she has an amazing story. As far as how much longer...she thinks she might finish by Sat, but they have until Mon. 6pm at the latest to finish. "Hell on Two Wheels" is a great book. Also the 2 documentaries..."Bicycle Dreams" and "Race Across America" are great DVDs, that show some of the things they have to deal with...like the hallucinations from sleep deprivation (so far she's only had 1 & it was a friendly one, not scary). If anyone is interested in following things more closely, then I'd suggest this FB page, that I admin, which has the most current updates. People have been so nice...a bike shop donated an expensive climbing wheel set that was destroyed in the accident, a bed & breakfast moved by her story allowed her & the crew to stay free of charge, & when they called USAA to report the accident, the agent & her co-workers were so moved that they made donations to the brain cancer research fund she's riding for (since her sister's diagnosis of terminal brain cancer). Thanks for your interest...

https://www.facebook.com/3ktoacure?ref=ts&fref=ts#!/groups/371043566340255/
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    FINAL RACE ACROSS AMERICA UPDATE...my friend Maria, completed the 3000 mile race in 11 days, 20 hours, 54 minutes...WINNING THE WOMEN'S DIVISION, & if I'm not mistaken, setting a new record for women 50-59 as well. This, in spite of the accident that delayed her by 23 hrs. She did it all for Brain Cancer research, in honor of her sister who was diagnosed last October. She didn't give up, in spite of everything, because she said that people w/cancer can't give up, so why should she. Just wanted to share the final results w/you, but if you think her effort is worth a $10 donation to brain cancer research, & for those who asked, you can text "race" to 20222. As the race officials said, she has the "heart of a lion." Thanks for all of your prayers, support, & donations. Feel free to share this post. http://www.3000milestoacure.com/whatweredoing/how-we-got-here