exercise addiction

Is it just me or is exercise an addiction?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Nope it is just you... LOL.. I will add this, eating less and exercising MORE is not necessarily the best approach to weight loss..

I lift weights 3 days a week (with HiiT cardio two days a week) and yes I do love my exercise but I also love my recovery days too..

So I hope you are not spending hours and hours in a gym every day .. this would be over exercising and not recommend. If you just do an hour a day.. thats cool..
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited April 2015
    There is brain chemistry associated with exercise. People refer to it as endorphins, but it is a little more complex than that (the endorphins created in your muscles cannot cross the blood-brain barrier). In fact, more and more doctors are prescribing exercise to address disorders such as depression and ADHD. If you’re interested, read the book Spark by John J Ratey.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    I agree ... I love exercise and miss it if I can't get to the gym or a class! It's not a bad addiction to have ... better than one to cookies! :D

I think it helps than since January I've seen such good changes in my body thanks to exercise and healthy eating, so both are a good addiction!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Yes, it is an addiction :) During periods when I could not exercise, life was more miseable than usual. If I could find the time again, between work, kids, household chores etc, I would be spending several hours daily walking, running, lifitng, dancing, doing sports. And unless you try to do too much too fast, or have no balance (e.g. attempt to lift 3 hours streight and then the next day run a marathon), then of course there is no time limitation in how much you can or should exercise. Or I would have been dead a looong time ago, and I most certainly do not consider myself an athlete and never did !
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    Nope it is just you... LOL.. I will add this, eating less and exercising MORE is not necessarily the best approach to weight loss..

I lift weights 3 days a week (with HiiT cardio two days a week) and yes I do love my exercise but I also love my recovery days too..

So I hope you are not spending hours and hours in a gym every day .. this would be over exercising and not recommend. If you just do an hour a day.. thats cool..

My son has HDHD I'll read that Thanks. I didn't believe it at first but sometimes you just have to accept what you don't want to hear..

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    gia07 wrote: »

My son has HDHD I'll read that Thanks. I didn't believe it at first but sometimes you just have to accept what you don't want to hear..

?
  • serra2009
    serra2009 Posts: 55 Member
    Just wanted to know if I was alone :smile: .I always knew myself to be an arrogant person for what reason I just don't know an since joining here an started exercising my attitude has change drastically my husband is like what have u done with my wife lolz.....thanks to you guys.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    For me YES! I get really grouchy when I don't get to the gym or get my run in. It is my "me" time where I can totally check out. I feel like I sleep better, my mood is better, and I have way more energy.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    I don't know if exercise itself is an addiction, but I am addicted to setting goals and meeting them.

I will sit on the rowing machine, hate it, look at the monitor, see I have X number of meters before next km. OK, I can manage that. As soon as I hit the next km and think about quitting, I'll notice time and want to have an even time. Then maybe I'll look at the calorie monitor and think "Oh, 381 is so close to 400, might as well do that!". This is how I started out wanting to do 6.5km last Saturday and ended up doing just a bit over 12km.

Now I have it in my head to do 50km this week. It is doable...but...I may have to let my regularly scheduled lifting session slide or I just don't have the time to bang out the 7.5km over lunch I need to keep up. I think this is the only week 50km will really happen in the near future (40ish km is about as far as I can normally take it with the time I am given). But I feel sort of guilty at the same time for letting lifting slide for this. I really should do it...but, but 50km!! Then I start to think there is some addiction aspect to it. :open_mouth: