Looking for diary and meal plans from breastfeeding moms

Options
I am still breastfeeding my 8 month old and find myself very hungry! I have tried 1700 calories but it doesn't seem to be enough. I am so do HITT, jog and walk (one or two of these daily). Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Eat more?
    I'm breastfeeding my 10 month old, who feeds 3 times daily and then, like, 4-5 times overnight (ugh), and am currently trying 1700. I started with 1500 but that was a mistake, so I've upped it. I'm hopefully about to start back at the gym (if the toddler and baby take to the gym's crèche ok), so I will up it again depending on workout. I currently only walk (about 10,000 steps a day), but don't eat much or any of that back. I'm still finding 1700 tough, but gonna give my body a few weeks to see if I adjust.
    Have you been doing it long? Are you losing weight? If you're too hungry you could try upping your calories and seeing how the scales react. It really is a fiddly process when you're breastfeeding as it's such a guessing game how many extra calories you need.
    Some women find they just can't lose all the weight till they wean. Whether that's because of hormones or just that annoying nursing hunger (which I get too, dammit!), who knows.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like a fellow bfing mum mfp friend :)
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding/pumping for my 8 month old too. You can add me if you'd like. :smile:
  • vendavel
    vendavel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a breastfeeding/pumping mama of a huge 7 month old who has been reverse cycling (loads of night nursing) since 5 months. I have been eating literally everything for months and not gaining weight, so I figure my body probably needs the calories to keep up with my son's demands. I also run (1-2x/week) and occasionally commute by bike (1-2x/week). Right now my goal is 1900 (plus extra when I exercise), but I'm not trying in earnest to lose weight.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My little one is 6 months and almost exclusively breastfed (we are just starting with a bit of baby foods). I add 500 calories to the goal that MFP gives me, which puts me at around 2000 for the day. For an older baby who is eating more solids, adding 300 is probably safer, though :wink:

As far as meal plans, the only thing I follow is making sure I'm getting plenty of protein and calcium and staying within my adjusted calorie goal. I do aim for nutrient-dense foods but allow room for treats, too. Feel free to check out my diary, it's open.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It was a long time ago for me (11-12 years ago), but at 5'4" and a good 40 lbs overweight, I was at 1800 a day, and the weight melted off very quickly (I did some light walking, but nothing strenuous). With your activity level, I'd think you need more food! Try adding 100-200 and see how you feel, how your supply is, and what the scale tells you...
  • leannerevell
    leannerevell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies! I am going to try and fill up on protein and fruits/vegetables as much as I can. I am hoping that will keep me fuller and help me lose weight at the same time. Also, my biggest priority is the health of my babe!
  • jennifercolekennedy
    Options
    I'm so frustrated. I must be an exception to the rule. Breastfeeding is making it much harder for me to lose weight. I exclusively breastfeed my 4 month old and originally started out eating 1700 cals a day, but wasn't losing anything. 1400-1500 seems to be better, but I feel like I'm starving some days. Maybe I'm not getting enough protein?
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding my 4 month old and I eat about 2000 calories a day. I also do HIIT and strength training. I've very consistently losing close to 2 pounds a week doing that and have lost 29 pounds since February 1st. I'm still about 40 pounds from a healthy weight though so I have a ways to go.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated. I must be an exception to the rule. Breastfeeding is making it much harder for me to lose weight. I exclusively breastfeed my 4 month old and originally started out eating 1700 cals a day, but wasn't losing anything. 1400-1500 seems to be better, but I feel like I'm starving some days. Maybe I'm not getting enough protein?

You're probably not getting a lot of iron either on that little amount of calories. Breastfeeding babies will literally suck you dry and if you don't get enough nutrients from what you are eating. it will not only make you feel like you are starving but it will make your skin look tired and your hair shed. I'm breastfeeding a 6 month old, eating 2000 + calories a day so I'm not losing weight either (unless -.5 lbs in 20 days counts), but having the energy to keep up with his needs is more important right now.
  • Bjoyz
    Bjoyz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am pumping/breastfeeding and tracking calories and none of the weight is coming off. Is it really true that some women don't loose any weight until they stop bf no matter what they do? That feels really disappointing.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Bjoyz wrote: »
    I am pumping/breastfeeding and tracking calories and none of the weight is coming off. Is it really true that some women don't loose any weight until they stop bf no matter what they do? That feels really disappointing.

I've heard this before too, and thought it must be me, until I started tracking and cutting calories and the weight started moving again. I'm not sure of the science behind it. I've read claims that for some women the body holds onto stores to draw on for feeding in case of, I dunno, famine? But it sounds a bit wishy washy to me.
    Nursing hunger, eating from tiredness due to sleep deprivation, comfort eating due to pnd, inactivity due to caring for baby rather than exercising... There are many reasons mothers of babies can struggle to lose weight. Priority needs to be given to health, happy mum happy bub.
    (Of course that hasn't stopped me trying to lose some vanity weight. But it's kinda important for my mental health to feel like I'm in charge of my body again!)