Curious what others burn for walking at speeds of 3.5 to 4 + mph

Options
uvi5
uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
I don't have an activity tracker and only count with 1/2 my exercise calories (the majority of the time), but am trying to get a basic idea of the burns others get. Those with fitbits, pacers, polar... etc I am getting faster (walking just over 4 mph). Just want to compare my progress for even more inspiration :smiley:

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Calories burned for me will not be the same for you...

Height, weight, age, stride, distance and effort will ALL be different I do have a fitbit charge.. but giving you a number based on a walk I did say yesterday will not help..way too many variables..
  • uvi5
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Calories burned for me will not be the same for you...

Height, weight, age, stride and effort will ALL be different..

I understand that, so maybe i should ask this with my stats (thank you for pointing that out). I'm 47, 5.5" (stride 2.5 feet) 150 (that I know of since last weight in). Effort, I push through the first 1.5 miles feeling the throbbing burn, start sweating (run short burst walk most)... etc. Thank you again :smiley:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It will not just depend on speed but gender, age, height, weight.

For me 42 YO woman, 5 ft 7 and 151 lbs @4mph I burned 180 calories for a 23min walk 1.5 miles

same speed @4mph a 30min walk 239 calories 2miles
    @3.5mph a 40min walk 2.22 miles was 306

Not a lot of hills but windy.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    At 3.7mph I was burning an average of 130 cals per mile.
    At 4.2mph I was burning an average of 137 cals per mile.
    At 5.4mph I was burning an average of 156 cals per mile.

This was at the height of my moonwalk training when I was fitter than I am now and weighed about 165lbs.

This was tracked with a Polar HRM and the Endomondo app (for my speeds, times etc).
  • uvi5
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

For me 42 YO woman, 5 ft 7 and 151 lbs @4mph I burned 180 calories for a 23min walk 1.5 miles

Great burn! Mfp gives 510 burn for the 90 minutes I get at 4 mph. I actually just started finishing the walks at 87 minutes and cruise my driveway for the last 3 minutes to make up the time. This is making me curious about an activity tracker again. I am digging on the speed walking more and more. It's like a marathon with myself to see if I can do it everytime. I calculated my miles by mapping the two blocks I circle at 0.336 (3 times around = 1 mile) I get around 3 times in less than 15 minutes now (just added short running spurts). This is good info, thank you.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    How do you propose we measure that? Most of us are using estimators to calculate calorie burns, not measuring oxygen usage. You can plug your own stats into an estimator. Comparing it to what other people are getting from estimators will not verify the accuracy.
  • uvi5
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »

This was at the height of my moonwalk training when I was fitter than I am now and weighed about 165lbs.

This was tracked with a Polar HRM and the Endomondo app (for my speeds, times etc).

Thank you
  • uvi5
    Options
    How do you propose we measure that? Most of us are using estimators to calculate calorie burns, not measuring oxygen usage. You can plug your own stats into an estimator. Comparing it to what other people are getting from estimators will not verify the accuracy.

I understand that. I asked for curiousity for more inspiration. I'm getting that. I find it interesting to know what others get for a burn, but Thank you :smile:
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    If I calculate using MET formulas, I'd burn ~195 calories for 30 minutes of walking at that pace (or between 1.5 and 2 miles). To be safe I'd record that in my diary as 180 calories, and then only if the rest of my day had been pretty active as well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

Great burn! Mfp gives 510 burn for the 90 minutes I get at 4 mph. I actually just started finishing the walks at 87 minutes and cruise my driveway for the last 3 minutes to make up the time. This is making me curious about an activity tracker again. I am digging on the speed walking more and more. It's like a marathon with myself to see if I can do it everytime. I calculated my miles by mapping the two blocks I circle at 0.336 (3 times around = 1 mile) I get around 3 times in less than 15 minutes now (just added short running spurts). This is good info, thank you.

THis is using my jawbone activity tracker. Not sure of stride but I calibrate the jawbone after each walk so it's pretty accurate for me.
  • uvi5
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    If I calculate using MET formulas, I'd burn ~195 calories for 30 minutes of walking at that pace (or between 1.5 and 2 miles). To be safe I'd record that in my diary as 180 calories, and then only if the rest of my day had been pretty active as well.

Ty, would you think Mfp is close for this. For my 90 minutes total at 4mph it gives 510 (170/2miles)?
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you're enjoying the power walking and are looking for a challenge, why not sign up to a power walking event. Moonwalk is one, but I know there are others and there's bound to be one in your area :)
  • uvi5
    Options

THis is using my jawbone activity tracker. Not sure of stride but I calibrate the jawbone after each walk so it's pretty accurate for me.

Gtk, thank you. It looks like mfp may be close for this than. I get 170 burn for 2 miles @ 4mph for my age, height, stride etc... Thanks again. Getting inspired to hit it again in a couple of hours :smiley:
  • uvi5
    Options
    If you're enjoying the power walking and are looking for a challenge, why not sign up to a power walking event. Moonwalk is one, but I know there are others and there's bound to be one in your area :)

A neighbor who see's me out there walking asked me the other day if I was training for some walking marathon. I said I'm in competition with myself. Who knows where this will go. I feel so accomplished at the end of a six mile walk at that speed. I just started challenging to make the 6 miles just under 90 minutes. It just feels great. :smiley:
  • uvi5
    Options

A neighbor who see's me out there walking asked me the other day if I was training for some walking marathon. I said I'm in competition with myself. Who knows where this will go. I feel so accomplished at the end of a six mile walk at that speed. I just started challenging to make the 6 miles just under 90 minutes. It just feels great. :smiley:

I had to holler at her, because I did not want to slow my pace :lol:
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking, 158lb 46 year old male , I allow myself 50 cals per mile and I usually walk at slightly above or below 4 mph

So , an hour of exercise 200 cals , not including the 90 or so I would have burned sitting around doing nothing
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options

Ty, would you think Mfp is close for this. For my 90 minutes total at 4mph it gives 510 (170/2miles)?

I have not found MFP to be anywhere near the results I see using METs to calculate calorie burn, and even that formula isn't perfectly accurate. When I log an hour of walking (I do a 5K every Saturday) MFP gives me almost 400 calories; my formula tells me I burn more like 300 (so that's a significant difference) and I usually log 225-250.

I do stationary cycling most weekdays and that's even worse. MFP tries to give me 375 calories for 30 minutes of stationary cycling; my formula gives me more like 155, and I log 115-125. I know it sucks to hear this, but the calories MFP allots you for exercise are wildly overstated, and on top of that you're likely overestimating the intensity of your exercise. That's not a slam against you -- almost everyone does it.

• uvi5
    Options

I have not found MFP to be anywhere near the results I see using METs to calculate calorie burn, and even that formula isn't perfectly accurate. When I log an hour of walking (I do a 5K every Saturday) MFP gives me almost 400 calories; my formula tells me I burn more like 300 (so that's a significant difference) and I usually log 225-250.

I do stationary cycling most weekdays and that's even worse. MFP tries to give me 375 calories for 30 minutes of stationary cycling; my formula gives me more like 155, and I log 115-125. I know it sucks to hear this, but the calories MFP allots you for exercise are wildly overstated, and on top of that you're likely overestimating the intensity of your exercise. That's not a slam against you -- almost everyone does it.

So mfp gives you almost 400 burn for 3 miles (5 km) and 300 for 3 miles w/ your formula. Also, thank you for your imput. Inspires me to push it! :smiley:
  • uvi5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm not worried (just interested) about the actual calorie burn. I feel and see the effort. I am just learning what I'm actually doing and loving it. I get inspired and learn more by asking. I so appreciate the responses and I'm learning more and getting pumped and inspired to go hit it again today. So far (aside from one poster) mfp gives me 170 burn for 30 min @4 mph. Thanks so much for the imput everyone. All awesomeness!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Is this gross or net?

At 6'9", 231, I burn about 70 calories a mile, net.

At 4.5 mph, MFP says I burn 996 calories an hour (221.3 calories per mile). I am doubtful.