Options
2»

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Something we are trying to avoid too....

So for me I automatically put in about 400 calories...
    for me this covers
    the hot drink I have
    some yogurt (piece of fruit) all about 100 calories
    and a LITTLE something else

These are put in first thing in the morning, so reduce the amount you eat during the day to compensate.

When I can manage to go to bed without having all of those (sometimes just the hot drink gives me the calmmmmm that I need) and so I feel even better.

Do keep in mind that ideally you shouldn't be eating 3 hours before bed and on a good day I go to sleep a little hungry.

SOME ideas that SOMETIMES work for me, other times NOT a chance lol! As I am not a good sleeper and up many times in the night that does not help either :s

Why?

I totally understand this. When you feel calm knowing you didn't exceed your calorie allotment for the day, it is easier for you to sleep. It give a clear conscience.

I was referring to the "Do keep in mind that ideally you shouldn't be eating 3 hours before bed".

Why no eating 3 hours before bed? It has to do with the window of time that your body is actively digesting. If you go longer without eating at night and have a gap of 8-12 hours of not eating, it gives your body time to heal itself. Your body can't heal itself if it is busy digesting food.

idukn11hbl3d.jpg

I ate that 10 minutes before bed last night, and then slept for only 6 hours, am I not healed today?

Snark
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Well, there are the 'healthy' standards- vegetables. Blah, boring. I prefer yogurt (Dannon Lite & Fit Greek yogurt, only 80 calories- and also really good frozen) or popcorn (Jolly Time Kettle Korn 100 cal snack bag). Last night I made a box chocolate cake mix (using diet cola instead of oil and eggs) and 'frosted' it with PBFit. A good size piece is only 185 calories and it is really good (chocolate and peanut butter, what's not to love??). PBFit is my new go-to for late night snacking- 2 TBS is only 55 calories (compare it to 190 calories for the same in peanut butter). Bonus, my husband loved the cake, too, so he'll eat most of it.

I've read that sometimes our hunger is really thirst, so try a tall glass of something you love. There are no bad snacks, just bad portion sizes I think. Find what you love and either eat less of it or find a lower calorie alternative. Good luck!

I LOVE Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurts! Those are my fave and if I need a crunch, I measure out a small amount of granola. They're a good dessert alternative. I'm going to have to look up the PBFit. I love PB2, but haven't heard of the Fit. I also measure out veggie chips or something like that (I'm a chipaholic so those help).
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    @cityruss That looks delicious! Is it avocado chocolate pudding?
  • marissazapalac
    marissazapalac Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow really good ideas. Motivating me to change things up. I try not to keep snacks foods around because I have no restraint. But maybe something like popcorn would do the trick, since it is not one of my trigger foods (like cookies or chocolate). One of the posters wrote something about decompressing and that is exactly the issue. Just want to zone out from being in toddler-land for an hour, and my evening snack fest helps with that. But sounds like there are better ways to do it than eating a sleeve of ritz crackers lol. And know I need to drink more water. Thanks for the great suggestions, appreciate everyone's responses.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

for me this covers
    the hot drink I have

These are put in first thing in the morning, so reduce the amount you eat during the day to compensate.

When I can manage to go to bed without having all of those (sometimes just the hot drink gives me the calmmmmm that I need) and so I feel even better.

Do keep in mind that ideally you shouldn't be eating 3 hours before bed and on a good day I go to sleep a little hungry.

SOME ideas that SOMETIMES work for me, other times NOT a chance lol! As I am not a good sleeper and up many times in the night that does not help either :s

Why?

I totally understand this. When you feel calm knowing you didn't exceed your calorie allotment for the day, it is easier for you to sleep. It give a clear conscience.

I was referring to the "Do keep in mind that ideally you shouldn't be eating 3 hours before bed".

Why no eating 3 hours before bed? It has to do with the window of time that your body is actively digesting. If you go longer without eating at night and have a gap of 8-12 hours of not eating, it gives your body time to heal itself. Your body can't heal itself if it is busy digesting food.

What? As @cityruss stated, this is wrong.

OP, if you find yourself more hungry at night, save calories for that time. Hell, save a majority of your calories for night if that helps you. Meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

for me this covers
    the hot drink I have

Why?

idukn11hbl3d.jpg

I ate that 10 minutes before bed last night, and then slept for only 6 hours, am I not healed today?

Snark

Sorry to be the one to tell you mate, you're actually dead.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Wow really good ideas. Motivating me to change things up. I try not to keep snacks foods around because I have no restraint. But maybe something like popcorn would do the trick, since it is not one of my trigger foods (like cookies or chocolate). One of the posters wrote something about decompressing and that is exactly the issue. Just want to zone out from being in toddler-land for an hour, and my evening snack fest helps with that. But sounds like there are better ways to do it than eating a sleeve of ritz crackers lol. And know I need to drink more water. Thanks for the great suggestions, appreciate everyone's responses.

Sugar free jell-o...if you use 2 tbsp of fat free whipped topping thats a whole 40 calories for 8 oz.
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I save some calories, usually enough for two cookies. I eat them and then brush my teeth and get in bed. I know if I don't brush my teeth right away I'm likely to keep eating. Most of my exercise calories go to cookies and it's totally worth it.