What made you pick your goal weight?

Options
Was it by choosing a particular BMI, or a weight you've been in the past which you felt good at?

Or did you choose a weight to see how you felt when you reached it, and then decide if you wanted to lose anymore?

Replies

• breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have my ultimate goal weight of 100 lbs, which is like a dream weight to me. Right now, I'm 122.6 lbs. I was at 115 lbs a few months ago and felt like that was a good weight. My clothes felt comfortable, but I still had fat. Maybe at 110 lbs I will feel good and not need to go any lower. So, right now my goal is 115 lbs, then 110, then 105, then if I still need to lose I'll try to 100 but not below because I fear that would put me in the danger zone. If my perfect weight is 105 for my height of 5'3", then dropping to 100 lbs would be good because it would give me a buffer.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It was my starting weight minus my 5'8" daughter's weight at the time.
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I chose 154.9 because it is the high end of my BMI. If I reach that goal, and all my other tests come back good, I get $100 from the state for being healthy :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Mine is the weight I was before I gained 40lbs.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    mine is my high school weight in grade 12. 135lbs. i plan to get there and see how i feel. maybe drop another 5. im 5'4
  • kidral97
    kidral97 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I chose my goal weight because I weighed less than that about 10 years ago. I felt really good. Now I'm more health conscious and I have more education about health and fitness. I think my Goal weight will look good on me, my clothes are already fitting really great. I've lost 22 pounds. I have 22 more to go
  • gabylewis22
    gabylewis22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My original goal was the high end of my BMI, until I realised that I still felt 'fat' at this weight, so dropped to the middle range of my BMI which I felt good at. Now I'm back up to the top end again haha.....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Which goal?

But seriously my first goal was 165 because that had been the lightest I had been in 20 years and "thought" that was as small as I could get...

when I saw 160 I knew I could go further so put 155 then 145...I hit 143 last summer.

I am currently 151 due to holidays (which put me at 148 but in range) and then Jamaica put me up to 155...so I set a new goal...140 just to see how I like it.

They are just numbers to me as it's only one factor...it's how i feel, how I feel in my clothing, what I look like in the mirror naked etc.

If I do a recomp and go to 145 I am good with that too...it's just one of many numbers that has an impact.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have my ultimate goal weight of 100 lbs, which is like a dream weight to me. Right now, I'm 122.6 lbs. I was at 115 lbs a few months ago and felt like that was a good weight. My clothes felt comfortable, but I still had fat. Maybe at 110 lbs I will feel good and not need to go any lower. So, right now my goal is 115 lbs, then 110, then 105, then if I still need to lose I'll try to 100 but not below because I fear that would put me in the danger zone. If my perfect weight is 105 for my height of 5'3", then dropping to 100 lbs would be good because it would give me a buffer.

100 :anguished:
    Im 4'2!

• RoseWhiteBrooke
    RoseWhiteBrooke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Which goal?

But seriously my first goal was 165 because that had been the lightest I had been in 20 years and "thought" that was as small as I could get...

when I saw 160 I knew I could go further so put 155 then 145...I hit 143 last summer.

I am currently 151 due to holidays (which put me at 148 but in range) and then Jamaica put me up to 155...so I set a new goal...140 just to see how I like it.

They are just numbers to me as it's only one factor...it's how i feel, how I feel in my clothing, what I look like in the mirror naked etc.

If I do a recomp and go to 145 I am good with that too...it's just one of many numbers that has an impact.

Can I be nosy and ask how tall you are?
    Sounds like similar numbers I've bounced between in the past :)
  • RoseWhiteBrooke
    Options

Wow, I would love to be where you are now! The lowest I've ever been is 130lbs, and I looked pretty small at that weight. Good luck in finding the size you feel healthiest and happiest at :)
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" with a large frame, I just want to be within a healthy BMI - that's 145. It's also a weight I've been before, and looked/felt good.
  • RoseWhiteBrooke
    Options
    My original goal was the high end of my BMI, until I realised that I still felt 'fat' at this weight, so dropped to the middle range of my BMI which I felt good at. Now I'm back up to the top end again haha.....

Better than being in the unhealthy range! What made you put a bit back on?
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Wow, I would love to be where you are now! The lowest I've ever been is 130lbs, and I looked pretty small at that weight. Good luck in finding the size you feel healthiest and happiest at :)

Thank you Rose. My greatest fear is that I won't ever be able to get rid of some of the stubborn fat, but it is a journey, not without it's challenges. I have a lot of faith in you. Keep logging your food and exercising and you will achieve your goals!
  • bfc70
    bfc70 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My goal weight was chosen as the weight I should actually be. I've never been that thin as an adult.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I thought about picking 135lbs., because that's what I weighed when I got married 3 years ago (pre-honeymoon-weight-gain and pre-baby). But I didn't really strength train back then like I do now, and I would have to tighten up my logging more than I feel ready to do at this point. Right now I'm hovering right around 140lbs, eating close to maintenance, and doing a 4-week strength training program. If I shed a couple more pounds inadvertently, I'll be happy with that. Otherwise, I guess I'm hoping for some recomp. (I'm just over 5'6", so my bmi is mid-range healthy.)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I picked the highest "healthy" weight on BMI for when I thought I was 5'2". Now that I know I'm 5'1", it's 132# but screw that. I've been at this for over 3 years and I'll be fine at 150#.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I was 135 lb in high school at 5' 10 1/2" tall. I am now 61 years old and didn't feel like I should get that low. I chose 175 lb and my doctor agreed that would be a good goal. I think once I get there I may shoot for 150, it depends on how I look and feel once I reach my goal. I had lost about 50 lbs before I began with MFP and am working my way to 200 lb. I have set smaller goals along the way to keep me motivated.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I didn't pick a weight. I was chubby/overweight my whole adult life so I had no idea how I would look at a particular goal weight. Plus I wanted muscles and keep curves and I quickly learned how that can play tricks on the scale.

I would be doing great with my eating and exercising, clothes would be getting looser and I lost inches but the scale would stay the same. Grrrrrr. So frustrating!

I chose to go by a "dream" measurement range and a dress size and see how I looked/felt. I ended up liked the way I looked at one dress size above my goal size so I stuck with it and moved to maintenance.

Worked well for my goals because the scale drove me loco. LOL!

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My goal was set by my cardiologist.