Feeling discouraged :(

Options
This is my first time trying to lose weight on my own. I've managed to drop 30lbs or so before on programs like Jenny Craig and weight watchers but I always hit a point where I can't tans the meals or counting anymore and the pounds climb back on. This time I'm serious. I'm in my mid-forties and I feel like if I don't make a change now, I'll be stuck in my ways till the end of my days, which may come sooner than later. I started on this app last week and had amazing success out of the gate. 10lbs shed off me in 7 days without feeling any cravings, hunger or like I had even tried. For the last 4 days I have added walking a min of 30 minutes to my new lifestyle and I already feel so much better. I have been within my caloric goals by 100-150 mostly under for the last 5 days as well but everything had slowed down and for the last 2 days no weight has come off at all. I feel like someone pressed the pause button. Is this normal? Why has the weight loss just stopped?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Two days without weight loss is nothing. You have lost a lot of weight quickly and it's common for your body to "pause" to adjust. Keep doing what you are doing.

I have been at this for a few months and my weight tends to hover in one place for a while and then drop. Sometimes it will stay this way for as long as 10-12 days and then the scale will start moving again. Just focus on the long-term trend.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You honestly cannot expect to see a drop every day, or even every week. Weight loss is not linear. There are lots of factors that can cause weight fluctuations, it does not mean you're not succeeding.

You have to take a longer view if you are going to go all the way, because if you allow yourself to become discouraged every time you don't post a loss for a couple days, it will make it nearly impossible to stick with it.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I've been not only paused, but also gained a few pounds within a few WEEKS time. But those first couple weeks...I dropped like crazy, lol. Our bodies are crazy. We can weigh 5 pounds difference in a day sometimes, especially as women, with us having out TOM, getting bloated, etc etc.

Just make sure you're drinking lotsa water, :) Good luck. And dont get discouraged, you're already winning! Congrat on your success so far!
  • shortdm
    shortdm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're off to a great start. I suggest you take your measurements and stay off the scale for a while. It can be very discouraging. Also, .....double check your sodium intake. If I go over 1600 MG in a day I gain weight.
  • LMS120yesIcan
    LMS120yesIcan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    dropping 10 pounds in 7 days is too much. Some of this may have been water weight. slow and steady wins the race. So far you are staying within your caloric goals and you are exercising. This is the perfect way to lose weight. Just make sure to track every bit of food you eat. Also make sure you weigh yourself first thing in the morning without clothes. Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. It is almost always higher at night. Wait 3 weeks before you make any decisions to lower your calorie goal. 1/2 pound to 1 pound a week is what you should aim for. Good Luck!
  • phxhiker
    phxhiker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, any time you start a diet all the weight which you lose at first is water weight, not actually fat.

Losing weight is a journey and if you can't wrap your mind around 1-2 lbs a week then you are going to have trouble with this.

Took you your entire life to gain all your weight now it's going to take the rest of your life to lose it and keep it off.