I have a hard time losing weight what should I do.

Options
13»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fix your logging

because what you think you're doing, you're not

it's a learning curve

you'll get it
  • mr21mr21
    mr21mr21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Personally I didn't start dropping significant weight until I cut carbs and sugar...you may want to look into that
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mr21mr21 wrote: »
    Personally I didn't start dropping significant weight until I cut carbs and sugar...you may want to look into that

It sounds like cuttings carbohydrates and sugar allowed you to reach a calorie deficit. Some people do find this useful, but you can reach a calorie deficit without cutting these. I think recommending that OP cut foods from her diet before she has established consistent logging is premature.
  • pgilly81
    pgilly81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That video is great
  • roxilegend
    roxilegend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    emili2013 wrote: »
    I eat a lot of veggies and fruits I'm not a big meat or dairy eater

One of the biggest things I've learned on my journey so far is to not let "healthy food" trick you into eating over calorie limits. Some fruits in particular can be pretty high calorie for what you'd think they would be. For example, one banana (depending on the weight in grams) can be as many calories as a serving of chicken breast. This is why everyone is telling you to weigh your solid foods. Even though you're eating "healthy food", the calories can still add up before you know it!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    roxilegend wrote: »
    I eat a lot of veggies and fruits I'm not a big meat or dairy eater

One of the biggest things I've learned on my journey so far is to not let "healthy food" trick you into eating over calorie limits. Some fruits in particular can be pretty high calorie for what you'd think they would be. For example, one banana (depending on the weight in grams) can be as many calories as a serving of chicken breast. This is why everyone is telling you to weigh your solid foods. Even though you're eating "healthy food", the calories can still add up before you know it!

a banana and an apple and 2 satsumas and 2 plums and some blackberries .. yum

so that's 110 +75+48 +61+48

so that's 342 calories
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The problem is you are not eating enough. Your body won't burn fat if it feels it isnt gettin enough to survive. This goes back to Caveman days when man did not have regular meals and would have to live off their fat if they didnt get a meal soon. What you need to do is trick your body into burning fat. Feed yourself 6 small meals a day, this does not just boost the metabolism but also tell your body it is safe to keep and build muscle. Muscle will burn fat up like crazy. If you are active and exercising with a poor diet you are doing more harm than good. You also need to add carbs, let the carbs fuel your body. Carb free diets do nothing but slow your metabolsim, you want the faster metabolism around, this allows for fat loss while watching TV

The only part of this that is actually true is............................. none of it
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well if the food I'm eat says the serving size is in cups that's what I measure in

Food packages ALSO give serving sizes in weights, either grams or ounces, so use that. The cup or spoon servings are just an estimate of the weight. In many cases, you'll actually get to eat MORE this way. For instance a half cup of cottage cheese is pretty small, but the package says 117 grams. I weigh my cottage cheese and 117 grams is a LOT. So I typically end up weighing out less and actually eating closer to half a serving. If I just scooped out half a cup, I'd be overestimating the calories. Grated cheese and some other foods tend to work out this way a lot.
  • Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My 2c, be careful under eating because you will screw with you BMR meaning you will have to eateven less to loose weight
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to get a food scale.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The problem is you are not eating enough. Your body won't burn fat if it feels it isnt gettin enough to survive. This goes back to Caveman days when man did not have regular meals and would have to live off their fat if they didnt get a meal soon. What you need to do is trick your body into burning fat. Feed yourself 6 small meals a day, this does not just boost the metabolism but also tell your body it is safe to keep and build muscle. Muscle will burn fat up like crazy. If you are active and exercising with a poor diet you are doing more harm than good. You also need to add carbs, let the carbs fuel your body. Carb free diets do nothing but slow your metabolsim, you want the faster metabolism around, this allows for fat loss while watching TV

So if the cavemen lived off their own fat if they didn't eat, doesn't that mean they were burning fat?

OP - log accurately and see how you go. Your caloric requirement to lose may be lower than MFP gives you depending on your past dieting history and hormone levels etc, but you can't make this assumption until you've tried sticking to a certain amount for a period of time and see how your body responds.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Well if the food I'm eat says the serving size is in cups that's what I measure in

That doesn't mean it's going to be accurate. Use a food scale for solids and cups only for liquids. I've no idea why so much food is given in cups first on the package, but cups are very inaccurate for solids.

I haven't seen anyone demonstrate that weighing food is accurate either. Some foods tend to retain their volume while they lose moisture. If that happens, a measuring cup would be more accurate because the weight would indicate fewer calories than what was in the food when it was packaged.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

That doesn't mean it's going to be accurate. Use a food scale for solids and cups only for liquids. I've no idea why so much food is given in cups first on the package, but cups are very inaccurate for solids.

I haven't seen anyone demonstrate that weighing food is accurate either. Some foods tend to retain their volume while they lose moisture. If that happens, a measuring cup would be more accurate because the weight would indicate fewer calories than what was in the food when it was packaged.

This has not been my experience. Usually, a half cup of anything, which is supposed to be a certain grams according to packages, weighs more than what the package says. Measuring devices are not accurate.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    A lot of measuring cups and spoons are inaccurate, too. If you have several sets in your kitchen, dump water from one cup measure to the next and see the difference! I'm convinced it accounts for a lot of baking failures.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    A lot of measuring cups and spoons are inaccurate, too. If you have several sets in your kitchen, dump water from one cup measure to the next and see the difference! I'm convinced it accounts for a lot of baking failures.

So true!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »

So true!

The food scale that I use now for portion control was one my husband bought a couple of years ago for baking. Weighing ingredients for baking actually makes a huge difference.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    ive always been active playing sports and working a lot but I always have had a hard time losig weight what should I do?

Eat less.
  • DeanaM2015
    DeanaM2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Check your B12 and your hormones!