Seems like I've hit a wall.

Options
for the past two weeks my weight has not budged at all even though I'm on a calorie deficit and work out hard at least four times a week. According to my scale my body fat percentage is going down but I can see no visible signs that I'm gaining muscle or fat. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?

If not, chances are *excellent* that you're not in the calorie deficit that you think you are.
  • KathyCushman1
    KathyCushman1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Can someone tell me what the problem is with my weight loss? I just started my fitness pal. I have been counting calories and doing a food journal and for exercise I walk 5 miles a day to a fast fitness work out video. This is my 9 th day of this. Shouldn't I have lost more than 1 pound. It is discouraging!

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    for the past two weeks my weight has not budged at all even though I'm on a calorie deficit and work out hard at least four times a week. According to my scale my body fat percentage is going down but I can see no visible signs that I'm gaining muscle or fat. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Weight loss isn't linear. Even if you are doing everything perfect, some weeks you will lose more, some less, some none. You also have to allow for water weight fluctuations, from salty meals, differences in water intake, and muscles retaining water.

And as you get closer to your goal, you will probably have to tighten up your logging and re-examine your calorie goal as your margin for error will keep getting smaller. Hang in there :drinker:
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food, don't measure it. @KathyCushman1 , No, not necessarily. You could be retaining water, or also if you're not weighing your food you may be eating more than you think. Weight loss isn't lateral, you may end up losing 2pds next week.
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU EATING ENOUGH CALORIES?
  • decotterell
    decotterell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been there. Just don't quit. I had weeks where I gained weight. In the end, I made it to my original goal minus another 20 pounds.
  • KathyCushman1
    Options
    Even though I am counting calories I could be eating to much? I do 2 isagenix shakes that are 240 calories a day each and then eat a 500 calorie meal a day. The 5 mile work out tape is supposed to burning 500 calories, but maybe its not?
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Check your profile that you entered when first joining MFP does this match exactly how you are living your life? If you have entered that you are exercising your daily calorie allowance will be based on that. Don't go along and then enter it again when you exercise. I agree weigh your food don't guess. If you are in the USA don't use the "cup" measure use grams or ounces whatever suits you.
    Last of all stick with it don't give up. Good luck.
  • KathyCushman1
    Options
    I definitely do not drink enough water or fluids. I just feel like I cant I drink 4 cups of water a day. Its yuc!
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Those scales are not very accurate, I can get dehydrated and lose 3% body fat on them. Have you been doing the same workout? maybe changing that up will help.
  • Afura
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Even though I am counting calories I could be eating to much? I do 2 isagenix shakes that are 240 calories a day each and then eat a 500 calorie meal a day. The 5 mile work out tape is supposed to burning 500 calories, but maybe its not?
    You're eating 980 calories (240X2 + 500) and burning 500? You're netting 480 calories a day? EAT. You should be eating at minimum 1200 calories, more if that's what MFP tells you to eat. You need to eat to properly fuel your body if anything else. Weigh your food to find out what you're actually eating, and eat the food.
    If water is not to your liking, drink tea, or drink coffee. If it fit into the calories you're supposed to eat, drink milk, put mio or some other flavorant in the water.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

A few things.

Are you measuring your food with a scale?
    How do you log your workouts?
    Have you taken your measurements?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Can someone tell me what the problem is with my weight loss? I just started my fitness pal. I have been counting calories and doing a food journal and for exercise I walk 5 miles a day to a fast fitness work out video. This is my 9 th day of this. Shouldn't I have lost more than 1 pound. It is discouraging!

It would really help if you started your own thread.

But 1 pound in 9 days is perfectly acceptable.
  • KathyCushman1
    Options
    I kinda cant switch up the workout. I had knee surgery in Dec. It is slowing me down a lot, but I can walk. I cant wait to be able to do extreme body work out and it not hurt! It is a $14.00 work out video and I can actually do unlike the px-90 work out! LOL I have to get some of this weight off before my sisters wedding that is in June. However I do know it is going to be a slow process. I gained 40 pounds before my knee surgery! But its going to go! :)
  • Afura
    Options
    I don't think you're reading what we're saying/asking or you're just not responding to those parts, so best of luck to you.
  • KathyCushman1
    Options
    some one made a comment on switching up the work out. I can only walk or fast pace walk at this time. My doesn't hurt to walk or bend I just cant put my weight on it to do like push ups. Before I had problems with my knee I did the extreme body work out. As my knee got worse I quit working out all together, I then gained 40 pounds and so here I am today working on loosing the weight I gained. But thank you I will need the luck. :)
  • KathyCushman1
    Options
    Thank you for the advice I will add flavoring to my water that's a good idea. Have a great day every body! :)
  • jazzsax69
    jazzsax69 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    STRESS! I cant talk about it enough.

In all likelyhood you have had a few things happen.

Not measuring food, not tracking properly, hit a plateau, or a VERY COMMON issue for men.... STRESS.

Stress releases cortizol which inhibits weight loss. if you are in a high stress job, lifestyle, etc you need to reduce or minimize the stress to have better results.
  • jstrick114
    jstrick114 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As long as your body fat % is dropping you're on the right path. How long have you been doing the workouts and eating right?
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

A few things.

Are you measuring your food with a scale?
    How do you log your workouts?
    Have you taken your measurements?

I do Measure my food using a digital scale

I log my workouts using a Garmin chest strap heart rate monitor

I have measured my neck and waist and they are both getting slightly smaller