Does your doctor talk to you about your weight?

Options
jemhh
jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
When you go in for a check up or even an illness, does your doctor ever mention your weight?

I'm asking because my doctor never does and I think it's odd. Last year when I went in for my annual exam he asked if anything had changed and I said that I had lost 30 pounds. He looked at my chart and said "well I guess you did." I just got out of my annual exam for this year. I've lost 25+ pounds since last year and he never said a word. It surprises me that a doctor wouldn't note this. Why do they weigh me if they aren't doing anything with the data?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't.

I asked what he thought I should weigh to try to steer clear of blood pressure meds, etc. and he answered, but he didn't bring it up even when I was gargantuan.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had one who harped on my weight (I eventually left her because telling someone with visible abs to lose weight is ridiculous), but most never say anything. You can tell them you don't want to be weighed. They actually don't need to know your weight unless you are going to be having surgery because they have to know it for anesthesia purposes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My doctors (several over the years) have always mentioned my weight and asked about my exercise habits, both when things are going well and when they aren't. My family history for heart disease, strokes, and other diseases associated with obesity is pretty terrible and I wonder if that has something to do with it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My doctor and I only started talking about it the last two visits -- because I was losing weight
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My doctor listed my obesity as a chronic condition so we talk about it a lot.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My doctor never discussed my weight until I lost 20 pounds. I hadn't really been overweight, I was just at the top of the healthy weight range for my height. Once I lost weight, she started talking to me about the need to do strength training because apparently being slender and older at the same time can be bad for your bones if you're not strength training. That was the first time since high school a doctor even mentioned my weight (and in high school and below they were just telling me I was underweight.)
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    The one I go to now does (for the past three years). Prior to that, no other doc had ever brought up any of my weight or activities. I am so grateful for the one I have now, we work closely to make sure I have what I need to stay healthy (since I'm so active). She always points me in the right direction (whether I choose to do it or not is another matter). She's very health conscious herself (and active).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've had great doctors. The doctor that referred me to the bariatric program was an uber-geek and correctly reminded me that my weight was a primary factor in my health conditions. It was true, but hard to hear. Other people in town were deeply offended by his frank approach.

When I moved back to the city, my doctor here has been very pleased with my transformation and told me I looked "perky" now. She asked me a lot of questions about what the experience has been like.

Family doctors are damned if they speak up, and damned if they don't. They don't get a whole lot of training on nutrition. My small town doctor was convinced I was consuming too many sugary drinks. Sorry, doc, my weight gain was not that simple (1/2 glass orange juice daily).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    nope, never. Well...only when I was pregnant, and I never gained more than 30#, so they just said "weight gain looks good" even though I was fat before I got pregnant, lol.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My doctors always tell me to lose weight but none ever gave me good guidance on how to go about it. A couple suggested basically fad diets that didn't end up working for me, like Atkins.

One sent me to a nutritionist who had me log my food for a week, told me I needed to lose 40lbs, and gave the advice that I wasn't eating enough calories and whole grains. She didn't address the fact that logic dictates that I was either a freak of nature, or my logging was woefully bad... It was my logging, obviously, and I needed to eat LESS calories.
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When you go from chronically underweight to obese in 2 years, you bet they mention it!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    All the time. Honestly, I think she's kind of obsessive about weight and body fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My doctor only started talking to me about it a few years ago when he wanted to put me on a statin for my cholesterol and a few other drugs and I told him I wanted to try to fix things with diet and exercise first. He never talked to me about it before I started talking about it. I wasn't hugely overweight...just on the line of overweight and obsese and I'm assuming that's why he never really brought it up or weighed me.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Mine takes my weight and notes it, but she doesn't really say anything other than that. Which is a good thing in my case, because I tend to be quite defensive and if she urged me to lose weight I probably would've done the exact opposite, and resented her on top of that.

• honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    My doctor talks about my weight all the time. I am in my final year of nursing school and gained 15 pounds due to stress and poor eating habits. This doctor is the one who seems to be monitoring my weight so closely.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mine does but only because she has seen my weight go up so much over the years. She frames it in a way that's not offending, but more like, if you don't stop gaining weight you're going to have these health problems. I'm also pre-diabetic. I think if you're otherwise healthy, they don't need to discuss it, but when you start having issues due to being over or under weight, they have a responsibility to bring it up.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I don't know many who do. I have discussed it with my doctors over the years and one put me on Phentermine (in the 1990's) when I was already at a low weight, but I thought (in my teenage head) I was gaining. Then a few years ago when I had my last child I was in for a well check and she mentioned with my family hx (high blood pressure, diabetes) that I should lose weight and eat 1200 calories and do a "South Beach style diet". Truth is most doctors are not trained in weight/nutritional counseling and only go on what they know has worked for them and other patients. I'm in the medical field and have considered getting a certification for mine and my patients knowledge, but not sure which method to go with (ISSM, NASM, etc.).
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My doc knows it's important to me so we always talk about it and she always praises my for my losses.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My doc doesn't regularly mention it - said "I look good, no worries" even though I feel like I should lose another 10 at least...I'd be happy to lose 15-20 more to be honest. We'll see though. If I bring the topic up, she humors me with her opinion. I can promise you I've spent way more of my time researching nutrition than she has. So I don't put much on it. She's happy with my stats so whatever.
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had lost 120# in the years time and that's all the doctor and her nurse talked about. Best yearly checkup ever!!