Are you afraid to weigh yourself?

Options
I am afraid to weigh myself. I have been on this eating path for almost 3 weeks now. I feel leaner and my clothes fit better so I know that the scale should not matter. But I have been so good and usually eating under my calories. Sometimes really hungry too. Exercising a good deal. Not a lot because I have a bum knee so I walk...a lot. Plus some upper body weight stuff. I do feel better but I am so afraid that I have not lost as much as I hope with all of the effort I have put in. I don't want to be discouraged. Do any of you feel that way too?

Replies

• yazecita
    yazecita Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Of course! All the time, but maybe your best bet is to measure yourself. If you say your clothes fit better there has been a difference. I can tell you that the scale bums me out very often since my expectations are too high. The truth is that my body needs time to lose weight, more than to gain it so I must keep reminding myself I need to stick to my program. I've just restarted again 5 days ago...I have spent months not even wanting to open My Fitness Pal. So wish me luck! You are not alone.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Not me. I'm a numbers freak. I weigh often.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    If your hungry, make sure you're eating back your exercise calories appropriately (most people recommend not eating back the full amount because MFP over exaggerates your burn). You have to let go of the # on the scale (but you're not alone in feeling this way, do a search of the forums and you'll see). Measure yourself, that's a way you can track your progress without working about another #, you're already seeing that progress in a better clothing fit!.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    So, don't weigh yourself?

You feel slimmer. Your clothes fit better. You're eating better, and you're getting more exercise.

Win. Win. Win, and win.

It sounds like you're already starting to achieve your objective. Who gives a rip what the scale says about it?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself, take body measurements instead.
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but that's what works for me.
    If you feel good and you think the scale is going to ruin that then don't get on it, just keep doing what you are doing.
  • SmellyHippy
    SmellyHippy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I refused to weigh myself for about 6 months. As my pants kept getting tighter I told myself I was just gaining muscle (i know...i know). Finally got on it and found out I was 10 lbs heavier than I'd ever been, including my pregnancy weights.
    Now I weigh (several times) each day. Weighing and tracking, I realize now, are the tools that will keep me from denying my reality again.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with the scale. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to break up. We have been programmed for life (by our mothers, doctors, society, TV shows) to care about what the scale says.

Personally, I weigh weekly with mixed emotions of trepidation and excitement. I try hard not to be bummed if the number doesn't go down. That being said, I agree with the measuring. SO GLAD I did the week I started MFP because I have seen inches lost when the number on the scale remained the same.

flippy1234 - you don't have a lot of weight to lose (according to your profile) so just having the clothes fitting better is an indication that you're making progress towards your goal. With so little to lose your progress may be slower than you hoped, but don't get discouraged!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Nope, can't say that I do. I weigh daily.

You don't have to weigh in if you don't want to. Go by how you feel or measurements or how clothes fit or any combination of them. There is no need to step on the scale if you don't want to.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    yazecita wrote: »
    Of course! All the time, but maybe your best bet is to measure yourself. If you say your clothes fit better there has been a difference. I can tell you that the scale bums me out very often since my expectations are too high. The truth is that my body needs time to lose weight, more than to gain it so I must keep reminding myself I need to stick to my program. I've just restarted again 5 days ago...I have spent months not even wanting to open My Fitness Pal. So wish me luck! You are not alone.

Good for you and good luck!!
  • flippy1234
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    So, don't weigh yourself?

You feel slimmer. Your clothes fit better. You're eating better, and you're getting more exercise.

Win. Win. Win, and win.

It sounds like you're already starting to achieve your objective. Who gives a rip what the scale says about it?

Thank you and you are right but numbers are so hard to ignore!
  • AME1025
    AME1025 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes. My doctor made me and it was shocking. I weigh more now than I ever did when I was pregnant. It was a harsh dose of reality. I weighed myself after the first week of eating better and I gained a pound. I won't weigh myself again until I see my doctor in June. I want to focus more on portion control and measurements. If you feel better though that is huge! Congratulations!! It's something to be excited about. Good job!!!!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Nope, I got into the habit of weighing daily (first thing in the morning) and keeping a record. Periodic measurements of other factors (body fat & dimensions) are also extremely helpful, since weight alone does not reflect body composition changes. I noted my weight climbing back up pretty significantly recently, so that encouraged me to start logging meals again and set a better plan.

Just remember that body weight fluctuates during the day as you eat and drink, so it help me to weight at a consistent time every day. The important thing is not to worry about the small day-to-day differences, but look at the overall trend over time. Also, when you notice a plateau, or reach certain milestones, you should review your goals to be sure your daily menu is in line with the state of your body now (as opposed to where you started).
  • flippy1234
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I have a love/hate relationship with the scale. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to break up. We have been programmed for life (by our mothers, doctors, society, TV shows) to care about what the scale says.

Personally, I weigh weekly with mixed emotions of trepidation and excitement. I try hard not to be bummed if the number doesn't go down. That being said, I agree with the measuring. SO GLAD I did the week I started MFP because I have seen inches lost when the number on the scale remained the same.

flippy1234 - you don't have a lot of weight to lose (according to your profile) so just having the clothes fitting better is an indication that you're making progress towards your goal. With so little to lose your progress may be slower than you hoped, but don't get discouraged!

Thank you so much!
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Nope, I weigh myself every morning. It's a useful number to know.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I love my scale, so no I'm not afraid to weigh. It's one part of a big picture.

If you're pleased with your progress, and feel comfortable not weighing - then don't :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    No - as some others have mentioned, I'm more afraid of not weighing myself and gaining weight without being aware of it. I don't weigh daily though, every 3-4 days maybe, and log every other Friday.
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I used to, but now I weigh every day so I'm used to the weight going up and down a lot, and since I do it so often it's not such a big deal anymore. When I used to weigh only once a week I could feel really down when the scale didn't show a lower number last time, I didn't consider the fact that it was most likely just normal flunctuations.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I have a love/hate relationship with the scale.......
    I have seen inches lost when the number on the scale remained the same.
    Same here.
    Which is one of the reasons why i'm now maintaining instead of continuing to lose.
    As others have said, maybe it's best you take measurements instead OP.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Amerielle wrote: »
    Nope, I weigh myself every morning. It's a useful number to know.

Same here- measurements are useful, too - but then there's also that unquantifiable "feeling" of well-being, strength, health, slimming... All are good. You may not hit all 3 at once, though!

I used to let a little fluctuation upward ruin my mood (and sometimes derail me) - but now, because I know that I'm making progress and feeling great, I tell myself all the scale "truths" of water weight, non-linear loss, etc., and shrug it off if it's a slight gain (provided that the trend is still downward!).