Diet swap experiment reveals junk food's harm to gut

Options
nas061
nas061 Posts: 256 Member
"A two-week diet swap experiment hints at just how damaging a Western diet might be to our guts."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32494846

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    As someone who "cleaned up" his diet I can attest to having far fewer incidents of heart burn and indigestion. I used to buy the huge bottle of Tums at Costco and popped them like candy...I rarely need a Tums these days.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    "The diet swap was also fairly drastic whereas we know that making small changes you can stick with long-term is far more effective to maintain a healthier lifestyle."

The article itself is biased and a little ridiculous (of course if you feed rural African volunteers nothing but french fries and burgers they will get sick) but this sentence right here ALMOST makes up for it.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    "It is not possible to make any firm conclusions based on such a small study, say experts."
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    "The Americans benefited from less bowel inflammation" - Just inserting my favorite quote from the article
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I must be adapted then. I have no gut problems.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Did I miss it, or did they give the actual diets they switched each group to?
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Duh, a Western diet:

0004100030131_500X500.jpg

Drink up!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I wonder why they chose low-fat, and how low is low. Anyone have a link to the actual study?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Chipotlaway.jpg
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    My god - breaking news, eating all your meals from a fast food restaurant when you've never had that food before is going to cause issues.

*headdesk*
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Diet swap: What the volunteers ate on day one

A high fibre, low fat rural South African diet for the Americans including: corn fritters, spinach and red pepper for breakfast; corn dogs, fried potatoes and mango for lunch; and okra, tomatoes, corn muffins and black-eyed peas for dinner.

A high fat, high protein American diet for the South Africans including: beef sausage and pancakes for breakfast; burger and chips for lunch; and meatloaf and rice for dinner.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/adopting-high-fibre-diet-could-dramatically-cut-risk-of-bowel-cancer-says-study-10210523.html

bit more info on it
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    According to Dr. O’Keefe, increasing the amount of fiber in the diet – from approximately 10 grams to more than 50 for African-Americans in the diet swap – likely led to biomarker changes reflecting reduced cancer risk, but eating less animal fat and proteins also could be helpful.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Diet swap: What the volunteers ate on day one

A high fibre, low fat rural South African diet for the Americans including: corn fritters, spinach and red pepper for breakfast; corn dogs, fried potatoes and mango for lunch; and okra, tomatoes, corn muffins and black-eyed peas for dinner.

A high fat, high protein American diet for the South Africans including: beef sausage and pancakes for breakfast; burger and chips for lunch; and meatloaf and rice for dinner.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/adopting-high-fibre-diet-could-dramatically-cut-risk-of-bowel-cancer-says-study-10210523.html

bit more info on it

corn dogs and fried potatoes on the low-fat diet? I must say the breakfast and dinner on that one sound delicious though. Interesting that every mean contains cornmeal. I hope it varied at bit from day to day.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

This-no issues with heart burn (I've actually never had this), stomach issues, bathroom issues etc. And I've eaten fast food three times in the last 24 hours. Go figure ;)
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options

This-no issues with heart burn (I've actually never had this), stomach issues, bathroom issues etc. And I've eaten fast food three times in the last 24 hours. Go figure ;)

Keep it up for the next 20 or 30 years and see what happens :)

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Someone turned a BBC reality show into a study. That's a new one.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »

Keep it up for the next 20 or 30 years and see what happens :)

Because fast food is magically different than slow food, right?