21 Day fix?

I am NOT looking for a quick fix as I know this will never be a "OK I got there now i can go back to how I used to eat" thing. But this 21 Day Fix, is it real? Could it help?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It's an exercise plan combined with portion control, so it can work. Some posters here have had good experiences with it. It's nothing, however, that you wouldn't be able to do without the program.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    My co-worker has been doing it for a month now, she doesnt look like she lost any weight to me.
  • MommaBear1977
    MommaBear1977 Posts: 29 Member
    The 21 day fix, could help especially if you need portion control.. You get a set of work out video and some colour containers, they give you instructions on how to figure out how many of each coloured container you need to eat.. ie. (i don't know the colour but this is for practicality) 4 blue (veggies) 2 purple (meat) 1 green( carb) and you mesure out your food like that. The videos are based on HIIT (high intensity interval training) which has been say to be the best for fat burning.. You also have to keep in mind that if you just start a diet/lifestyle change, you will lose weight fast at the begining as your body purges it's stomach content since you are eating less and your 8 cups of water help eliminate bloat/water retention.. Hope this help/makes sense.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    you can buy your own Tupperware and portion it out yourself..

OR

you can use MFP for free, get a food scale to weigh all solids, and log all your food into MFP and eat to the number that MFP gives you for X amount of weight loss per week ...

OR

you can waste money on 21 day fix....
  • futureenp
    futureenp Posts: 8 Member
    21 Day fix can work very well, as any program can, if you stick to it. It helps you learn portion control and takes the guess work out of how much you should be eating in a day. The exercise videos are also great, in that they alternate cardio and strength training. You can do all of it alone. However, for those that need specific direction, it works well.
  • ksm67
    ksm67 Posts: 3 Member
    I tried it just like I have tried a lot of things. One thing that I found very interesting was that it had me eating WAY over the calories that I prefer. I was eating about 1900 calories on that program and as a sedentary person I should be eating 1280-1400 roughly. I would say that the exercise would have done the trick but it really didn't. With that said, I LIKED the exercises even though I had to modify a lot. What I struggled with was when I was supposed to bump up to 1 hour a day. When I work 12 hours a day that is a tough number. As others have suggested, the containers that assist with portion control are a great idea, but I will add that the quality of the containers is not wonderful. Also, they strongly suggest that you use shakeology which I did not care for and found to be spendy. I use Jay Robb protein powder now when I want a protein snack.
  • nersteve
    nersteve Posts: 12 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    you can buy your own Tupperware and portion it out yourself..

OR

you can use MFP for free, get a food scale to weigh all solids, and log all your food into MFP and eat to the number that MFP gives you for X amount of weight loss per week ...

OR

you can waste money on 21 day fix....

Thanks.... for now, free works. And Support here should as well. I've only "gotten serious" about this in the last... 9 days and only making conscious efforts on HEALTHY food vs Pizza, BBQ, and other "fun takeout foods". No exercise at all except for the recent hiking trip and making sure I get up form my desk twice a day and go for a walk around Campus, finding a route that takes me up hill and using stairs as much as possible. I need to do more... but I have to be realistic about this... not go overboard and make sure it's something I can MAINTAIN as a lifestyle change.

Down 5 I think in 9 days just from not eating like a pig... and letting my emotions and boredom make me eat. It's been a long depressing winter for me. Hoping Spring will help me snap out of it and get back to the active self I was 15 years ago.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Like others said, the 21 days fix is a program to help with portion control.

Honestly, I would read Calorie Counting 101 and A guide to get you started on your path to Sexypants to provide you with some basic knowledge.

Additionally, I would focus on getting most of your calories (80-90%) from nutrient dense foods (fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, whole grains) and then if you want, incorporate small treats.

As for exercise, start slow. Find something that you are comfortable with and then add in more. Most of us will suggest a combination of weight training (helps maintain muscle mass, metabolism and improvements to the skeletal system) and some cardio (for heart health).
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    There's a group here for people doing 21 Day Fix and/or 21DF Extreme: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103806-21-day-fixers

People are sharing their results, recipes, and encouraging one another. Very supportive and positive. Some of us are only using the DVDs while others are only following the meal plan. No judgment. Just encouragement.
  • aprilmcal
    aprilmcal Posts: 18 Member
    I spent ten months in the gym (6 to 10 hours per week). I hit a plateau for three months. I have been doing the 21 day fix for 12 days. I have to modify all the workouts (they are tough), but I have lost 5 lbs and 3 inches on my waist. It is a very helpful regimen to gain momentum. At least for me I needed that. Also, I can do anything for 30 minutes. Of course I will continue at the gym and my clean eating also got a kickstart (again). I love this app for tracking everything.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    It's a multilevel marketing scheme, i.e. pyramid scheme. Beachbody coaches "sell" the knowledge that you can give yourself for free, i.e. how to control portions. And by focusing on volume instead of weight, they teach you bad habits about portion control that almost invariably result in most people eating more calories than they think they are. Furthermore, the idea that you can "fix" anything in a mere 21 days is slightly absurd; it sets up short-term expectations for something that should be seen as a long-term lifestyle change.

It sounds like you already know that there are no quick fixes out there, OP. But if you're serious about wanting to do something to kickstart your weight loss, save the cash you'd spend on something like the 21-day fix and instead, invest in a small food scale for $10 or $15, if you don't already own one. That will be money much better spent.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    It's a multilevel marketing scheme, i.e. pyramid scheme. Beachbody coaches "sell" the knowledge that you can give yourself for free, i.e. how to control portions. And by focusing on volume instead of weight, they teach you bad habits about portion control that almost invariably result in most people eating more calories than they think they are. Furthermore, the idea that you can "fix" anything in a mere 21 days is slightly absurd; it sets up short-term expectations for something that should be seen as a long-term lifestyle change.

It sounds like you already know that there are no quick fixes out there, OP. But if you're serious about wanting to do something to kickstart your weight loss, save the cash you'd spend on something like the 21-day fix and instead, invest in a small food scale for $10 or $15, if you don't already own one. That will be money much better spent.

The 21 Day fix is not a multilevel / pyramid scheme. Don't be dramatic. The 21 Day Fix is a exercise and calorie controlled nutrition plan. YES, if you signed up to be a coach for Beachbody, then it is a multilevel sales organization, but you don't have to do that. You could go on beachbody.com right now and order the program and never order another thing or become a coach.

It's also not saying you can "fix" your life in 21 days. I believe it's based on the fact that they say it takes 21 days to make something a habit. Of course it's supposed to be a long-term lifestyle change.

The workout is legit, and the portion control works. That said, the OP seems to be doing well with his initial changes, and I don't think the program is necessary. Move more + eat less and you're on the right path! :) I happen to like the workout and the trainer, so it's something I wanted to spend my $$ on, but that doesn't mean anybody else needs to!

(And no, I'm not a coach, nor do I sell anything, I just think it's silly to bash something that you obviously don't really understand).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    KAS0917 wrote: »
    (And no, I'm not a coach, nor do I sell anything, I just think it's silly to bash something that you obviously don't really understand).

I think it's you who "obviously doesn't really understand", actually. 21-day Fix is a product -- with a price tag -- that is sold by Beachbody, a private company with an MLM structure to it. Just because you yourself haven't signed up as a coach doesn't mean that's not how they make their money. I'm pointing out to the OP that you can get better results and learn better habits for free, and you're pushing a product with dubious claims and a high price tag. The OP asked whether this was "for real". Yes, it's real, but it's also a for-profit program that is sold in a certain way. Not everything for profit is bad, but OP deserves to know what company is behind it and how they're structured.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    KAS0917 wrote: »

I think it's you who "obviously doesn't really understand", actually. 21-day Fix is a product -- with a price tag -- that is sold by Beachbody, a private company with an MLM structure to it. Just because you yourself haven't signed up as a coach doesn't mean that's not how they make their money. I'm pointing out to the OP that you can get better results and learn better habits for free, and you're pushing a product with dubious claims and a high price tag. The OP asked whether this was "for real". Yes, it's real, but it's also a for-profit program that is sold in a certain way. Not everything for profit is bad, but OP deserves to know what company is behind it and how they're structured.

Yes, I have the product. I understand what it is. That's how coaches make money (which I said), but that has nothing to do with the OP's question. He can buy the program for $60 (or whatever it is today) and he wouldn't be a part of any sort of pyramid scheme. That's why I said there's no reason to be dramatic about it.

I'm also not 'pushing' anything - as I said the OP seems to be doing well with his initial changes, and I don't think the program is necessary. Move more + eat less and you're on the right path! :) I happen to like the workout and the trainer, so it's something I wanted to spend my $$ on, but that doesn't mean anybody else needs to!

The program works. I've done it myself and I've witnessed my friends results. That doesn't mean anyone "needs" it - it's just a tool. With discipline, you can lose weight a variety of ways.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I saw that infomercial this weekend...it was all over the place so I watched and I was think "you have got to be kidding me?"

then I realized it was real and I laughed so hard...

I paid 19.99 for my food scale and use MFP for free and that's my unlimited fix...so for 19.99 you can have my fix too...;)
  • jen973
    jen973 Posts: 16 Member
    It's not only about portion control but there is an exercise per day to follow. What I like is that there is a modifier doing them as well so if you can not lift the 20 pound weights like the person in the back row, you can follow the modifier. As time goes on you push yourself to be better and stronger. My first round I lost 8 pounds. I am on my second now and have lost a total of 12 pounds and went down a dress size. There are Facebook groups that are really helpful and the rules are that coaches can not try to get you to sign up with them. It's a very encouraging group and just sad when I come here to see people laughing at others doing it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Super expensive tupperware.... I have a ton of tupperware in my cupboard - none has made me lose weight. Probably didn't pay enough for it.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    I am really liking the 21 Day Fix Extreme workouts. I ordered through Amazon so no worries about being enrolled in some supplement auto-ship program I've read reviewers on other sites complain about. I don't use a coach and have never been contacted by Beach Body.

The workouts are 30 minutes of mostly compound moves, you choose the weights and number of reps so it's as hard or easy as you make it. You do a workout every day, no days of rest.

The food plan is basic. For me, 1800-ish calories/day, using the containers for portion control. I can do without the containers but the workouts in the Extreme are great, IMO. I haven't seen the regular version.
  • aggie2145
    aggie2145 Posts: 18 Member
    The volume of the containers is easily found with a basic google search and a combination of gladware/ziploc tupperware is a cheap swap. I personally prefer a food scale as measuring by weight is more accurate and if you buy a scale that tares you can measure your entire meal in the same dish/plate.
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    I saw an infomercial about it and thought it's just portion control and exercise, so I thought I would check it out online. I found pretty much everything I needed to know about it on Pinterest for free and decided to give it a try without buying the program. I am on my seventh day and am down about 7 pounds (obviously at least 5 pounds water weight). I feel good and am finding the portions are enough for me to feel satisfied. I just am using measuring cups and my food scale and I made my own tracking sheet to keep track of the portions I am eating. I am using my ellitical and bowflex for exercise and also riding my bike. I think the program works if you follow it, but you do not have to buy it to follow it. Check out Pinterest and you will find everything you need to know about it. I have trouble with portion control and eating the right amount of the types of food, so I am hoping this helps me change my eating habits long term.