frustrated with water drinking

So I have been doing pretty good at staying under my cals, eating healthier, exercising a ton and all of that but my biggest thing is I hate water. Everyone has been telling me I need to drink more (as of the other day I was only drinking about 2-3 cups a day) so I set some time limits and drank a cup every 2 hours up until 6pm. The entire day yesterday I had to pee every 30 mins (which is very frustrating) and I woke up last night 3 times in the middle of the night having to pee and the scale says I have gained 3 pounds (which I know is most likely water) but the whole peeing thing is really bothersome. Is this normal?

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I think you should stop listening to people, and listen to your body.
    Are you thirsty? drink. No? then don't.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Yes it's normal. More water in, more water out. Also you don't have to suck down all this water and drink nothing else. You can have other types of drinks as long as you track them if they have calories.

The biggest way to get rid of water is to drink more water/fluids.
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    I used to drink diet sodas but I cut them out recently as a once in a blue moon thing and I do drink vitamin water zero sometimes too. All in all I maybe had 7 cups of water yesterday?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    just stay hydrated...there is no magical amount of water, particularly where weight loss is concerned. Being hydrated is important...the whole 8 glasses per day is a general guideline that will help most people stay hydrated...for me, that's not nearly enough...others might not need as much.

If your piss is mellow yellow to clear, you are hydrated...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Ignore the scale....it lies. 3 pounds (of water weight) is normal fluctuation....high sodium....water weight, TOM....water weight.....sore muscles.....water weight. No biggie.

So you don't have to get up at night....drink your water earlier in the day.

I work in an office....sit at a desk. I look at getting up to pee as a good thing. It beats...sitting, and more sitting. Plus I can be productive...do some squats while I'm there. I think this gets less and less....I'm not in there every half hour.

Coffee, tea, soda....it's all hydrating. You just need enough hydration to make sure you are not eating (because you are actually thirsty).
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Urine_Chart.jpg
  • joejccva71
    edited April 2015
    I drink about 1.5 gallons of water a day. Suits me good. Alot of it is during my training. I also have coffee a few times a day, and a diet coke usually at dinner.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    edited April 2015
    You don't have to force feed water. Your body needs a certain amount of fluid and you can gauge whether you get enough by the chart peachyfuzzle posted above. You get this fluid from everything you eat and drink, there's no need to force yourself to drink water or to avoid adding flavor to it. Those "magical" 8 glasses everyone carries on about don't do anything for weight loss anyway. You just need to be hydrated enough for your overall health.
  • joejccva71
    Urine_Chart.jpg

LOL if pee is coming out that dark color, it aint pee and you have some issues.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am required to drink a certain amount each day. I get bored of plain water so I start with a flavoured tea in the morning, and I have a 1L bottle that I work on for the rest of the day. I flavour it with Biosteel because it pleases me. If I get bored of that, I'll switch to a spritz of lemon. And when I'm bored with that, Very Cold Water, and when I'm bored with that, a spritz of Mio.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Its about staying hydrated, so coffee counts too and tea and diet cokes whatever.

I make in the day some ice tea ( all different kind of flavors) yummie
    I make also lemon ice water or ice water. I crush ice cubs in the blender and add water to it and zip that.
    Or i add a bit of lemon to that ( with or without some stevia)
    Or you can try some sparkling water.
    Flavor your water with fruits and eat the fruits later. Or make an icy smoothie also very yummie.

Just try things out. You dont have to necessary drink 2 or 3 liters of water for your weight loss. It is just better to stay nicely hydrated. For some people that is with 1 liter, others 2 or more.

I drink about 2 to 3 liters of liquid a day all together. tea, coffee, smoothies, water etc

Oh even soup counts as liquid.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    I keep a 100 ML bottle on my desk or carry it with me. I aim to fill & drink it three times. Most of the time I only manage two bottles and that's fine too. Whatever works for you! :)
  • iheartdinosaurs
    iheartdinosaurs Posts: 45 Member
    edited April 2015
    GingerSka wrote: »
    I keep a 100 ML bottle on my desk or carry it with me. I aim to fill & drink it three times. Most of the time I only manage two bottles and that's fine too. Whatever works for you! :)

I assume you mean 1000 mL? Otherwise, that sounds like an adorable tiny little bottle :wink:

ETA: OP, your body does get used to drinking more water, but it takes a few days of a routine. Like others have said, you need to find the sweet spot for you. I was up to 4-5 Liters of water a day (not even counting coffee) and was peeing a reasonable amount during the day. I recently scaled back to 3-4 to limit the amount I drink late at night.
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Thank you guys!
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    I drink 32oz of plain water a day, if I'm lucky. Your body gets water from the food you eat too. Drink if you're thirsty, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited April 2015
    I recently increased my water intake....was running to the bathroom like crazy for like a week or two. Then my body adjusted and it is easier to drink 8 cups every day (more on training days), and I don't use the restroom that much more than I did preciously. Plus my body feels much better during training and I attribute it as well as a few other tweaks I made to no longer getting calf cramps.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I recently increased my water intake....was running to the bathroom like crazy for like a week or two. Then my body adjusted and it is easier to drink 8 cups every day (more on training days), and I don't use the restroom that much more than I did preciously. Plus my body feels much better during training and I attribute it as well as a few other tweaks I made to no longer getting calf cramps.

This for sure.
    You feel overall better indeed. And you get used to it. The body indeed adjust after some time.
    I try to drink before i train a liter water, i sweat a lot.
    When i dont do that i have more muscle aging for sure.

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    GingerSka wrote: »

I assume you mean 1000 mL? Otherwise, that sounds like an adorable tiny little bottle :wink:

I'm an idiot. I assumed ML and mls are the same. Derp. Yay America! :#

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I used to drink diet sodas but I cut them out recently as a once in a blue moon thing and I do drink vitamin water zero sometimes too. All in all I maybe had 7 cups of water yesterday?

You take in water other ways so you probably had more than seven cups.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    If you look back into your diary entries, how are your sodium levels? Sodium will cause you to retain water which could explain not losing the weight. Also, make sure you are accurately logging. I noticed when I first started I would guesstimate how much things weighed, and I found that I was underestimating by a lot. My kitchen scale is my best friend!

Also, I hated having to time out my water intakes so I would make sure I drank enough. I use crystal light a lot during the day. I am not a water drinker, but without thinking I can get through 12-14 cups a day without even trying. Hope this helps! :)