Recipes please!!(:

vanraamsdonkb
vanraamsdonkb Posts: 10 Member
I loved bake love to cook... I'm italian so fattening food is very common in your meals lol. Does anyone have any recipes that are healthy but still really yummy?! Share as much as you want! Pictures could be great too!

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Hop on over to the what's for dinner/show me pics of your food threads. I have gotten some great ideas/recipes from those folks.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    What are your favorite meals? Maybe we can start by giving you healthier versions of the foods you already like.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Definitely not authentic Italian but delicious, healthy and fast. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/04/home-style-beef-spaghetti-squash.html

Homestyle%2BBeef%2BSpaghetti%2BSquash4.jpg
  • vanraamsdonkb
    Oh that looks really yummy @dklibert did you try it? And @debrakgoogins I really like to eat pizza... Pizza is my weakness and also tacos and also chicken parm grinders... All not very healthy! Lol
  • dklibert
    @vanraamsdonkb I did, twice. It is really easy and tasty. My sister liked it too.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Some of my favorites as well.

Pizza first! I use pita bread as the crust and load it with vegetables. Use a lower fat meat or less of a high fat meat and low fat cheese. Some of my favorite pizza combos - all color peppers, red onion and chicken using salsa as the sauce and spinach, artichoke heart, mushroom with turkey pepperoni using a low sodium marinara sauce.

Tacos! Make your tacos with 93/7 ground turkey meat. If you absolutely love ground beef, just put less in the shell and use more vegetables for filler. Use low fat versions of the cheese and sour cream.

Chicken parm grinders! Try making baked chicken ahead of time and freeze them individually so you have them available. Pound out large chicken breasts then cut them in half. Dredge them in flour, egg white and bread crumbs (I make mine from stale whole wheat bread, oregano, sea salt and garlic powder). Spray each side of the breaded chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the juices run clear. By eliminating the frying, you are saving on calories and fat. Serving them on whole grain rolls with marinara sauce and reduced fat cheese will make for a filling, healthy meal. Better yet, try it over baked spaghetti squash - it's really tasty!
  • dklibert
    I am making chicken tacos tonight.

I have made these a few times trying to recreate a meal I had in a restaurant. They were really good! My family liked them too. Believe it or not they are great re-heated. They are bulked up with veggies and the bacon and grilling add great smoke flavor. My guess that is why they reheat well. I plan to get photos this time.

Alambre Chicken Tacos
    Serves 4; Makes 8 tacos

1 large (12 oz.) boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 tsp. olive oil
    Sazon seasoning, to taste
    4 strips center cut bacon, cut into 1-1/2” pieces
    1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2” pieces
    1/2 yellow onion, cut into 1/2” pieces
    8 oz. sliced mushrooms
    Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
    8 small flour tortillas
    3/4 cup Monterrey jack cheese, shredded

Preheat grill on high for ten minutes. Meanwhile drizzle chicken breast with olive oil and season with sazon. Lower grill to medium high and grill chicken 6 minutes each side. Remove from grill and cover with foil to rest. Place bacon in a skillet over medium high heat, when bacon begins to brown push to one side and add onions and peppers. Saute until they begin to soften and onion starts to get translucent, add mushrooms and stir in bacon. Cook until mushrooms begin to brown. Meanwhile slice or dice chicken and add to the pan. Top with cheese and cover to melt the cheese. To serve place a spoon of filling on each tortilla.

Or as a make ahead meal leave cheese off. Store chicken filling when ready to eat warm a serving of filling for 30 seconds in the microwave on High. Then place filling on two tortilla, top with cheese and place back into the microwave for 30 seconds.

Servings 4; Nutritional information per serving: Calories 366, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 56 mg, Sodium 1300 mg, Potassium 312 mg, Total Carbohydrate 36 g, Dietary Fiber 1 g, Sugars 2 g, Protein 21 g.

Here is another chicken taco I love to make. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/07/suiza-rellenos-tacos.html

Suiza+Rellenos+Tacos+2.jpg

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am going to suggest you find healthier exchanges for your favourite recipes and keep cooking Italian! You can dramatically reduce the amount of cheese, for instance, using stronger flavoured cheese, grated fine. You can reduce the amount of oil you use (still good) to about a tablespoon. Pasta portions will make you cry. You may have to choose between pasta or bread for your carb. Add new vegetables to your sauces. Use Zucchini or Spaghetti squash where you may have used pasta before.

The Mediterranian diet is considered very healthy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
  • vanraamsdonkb

Thanks so much everyone will definitely have to try all of this out (:
  • dklibert
    Here is a photo of the Alambre Chicken Tacos.

eoddji6g16rm.jpg
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    I love pasta, but I also love veggies. One of the things I like to do, is sautee whatever veggies I have on hand - carrots, onions, bell peppers, eggplant, celery, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, spinach... the sky is the limit - with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I do so much with this base - load it on a thin pizza crust with some parmesan cheese, layer it in lasagne, mix in some red sauce and lean ground beef and serve over whole grain pasta. Or, it can be served over zucchini ribbons in place of pasta.

To make zucchini ribbons, you will want a couple of zucchinis per person. Wash the outside of the zucchini, pat dry. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the zuchini into ribbons. Stop shaving the zucchini when you get down to the seeds (save the seedy cores, slice 'em up and add them to the veggie sautee). Place the ribbons in a mixing bowl. Pour in about 1 tablespoon of salt, and use your hands to mix the ribbons and salt so that the salt is evenly distributed. Let the salt pull some of the moisture out of the zucchini. While it is doing that, is the time to chop and sautee the veggies. When the veggies are nice and tender, add in the red sauce and meat. While that is simmering, rinse and drain the zucchini ribbons. To cook them, you can steam 'em; but what I do is microwave them on high for a minute or two. I do not recommend putting them in boiling water - it is too easy for them to get mushy.