2 weeks rest after 6 month training

Options
zeinmr
zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
Hello I need your opinions about it. Just a short background first. I start weight lifting 6 month ago with a personal trainer. He put me in different phases and I get very satisfaying results although I get different injuries. I have never went more than a month in a gym. So I will finish with personal coaching coming Saturday. My coach suggest to take 2 weeks rest before restarting workout. I am intended to start 5x5 stronglift. I read a lot about recovery time and I wonder whether 2 weeks seems an exccessive rest time or is it really crucial to give my body this rest duration. Do anyone of you had such rest time? How much you think will be reasonable?

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I took 2 weeks off last year coming off of six months because I needed it. In that time I developed an active rest routine of stretching and foam rolling - felt like a million bucks - to stay active but rest the joints.

How do you feel? If two weeks off feels like something you could use, then take it. If a week seems better do that instead. If no rest you can do without, then go forward.

If I recall correctly SL you begin with the bar - that's hardly any work at all. Can't see why you would need to rest up and recover for that.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Did you question everything else the trainer told you? If you paid an expert to advise you then you should probably follow their advice.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Does a body good. I usually take a week off from lifting after going for 4 to 6 months straight. Sometimes 2 weeks if I am really beat up. IIRC, I read somewhere that atrophy starts to get measurable after 2 weeks of inactivity.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/the-importance-of-rest.html/
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is a reasonable deload. That doesn’t mean you can’t do some light cardio, yoga (for flexibility) or just play some sports you enjoy during that time. Just let the muscles heal and recover and be ready for more intensity when you go back.
  • zeinmr
    Options
    I took 2 weeks off last year coming off of six months because I needed it. In that time I developed an active rest routine of stretching and foam rolling - felt like a million bucks - to stay active but rest the joints.

How do you feel? If two weeks off feels like something you could use, then take it. If a week seems better do that instead. If no rest you can do without, then go forward.

If I recall correctly SL you begin with the bar - that's hardly any work at all. Can't see why you would need to rest up and recover for that.

The 2 weeks recovery are not aimed for the next workout but to the 6 month training.I feel good and that is why I wonder if 2 weeks are necessary.

• zeinmr
    Options
    Two weeks is a reasonable deload. That doesn’t mean you can’t do some light cardio, yoga (for flexibility) or just play some sports you enjoy during that time. Just let the muscles heal and recover and be ready for more intensity when you go back.
    This is exactly the words of my coach.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    zeinmr wrote: »

The 2 weeks recovery are not aimed for the next workout but to the 6 month training.I feel good and that is why I wonder if 2 weeks are necessary.
    Don't see how that changes anything. 2 weeks off intra-program or 2 weeks off between finishing and beginning a new one is still 2 weeks off. Take a week off and see how you feel.