I want pizza!

Options
Really wanting pizza. 390 a slice? Not worth it. I'm constantly hungry. I eat well, small portions more often & healthy.
Still hungry, and I have seen I'm more bi tchy & short tempered when I am.
Suggestions friends?

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    If you are really wanting pizza I think you should just have a slice. If a regular slice does not fit into your daily calories, you can try to make some at home on a whole wheat tortilla, english muffin, or the like and top it with a bunch of veggies. Hope this helps.
  • madeleineld
    madeleineld Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've made cauliflower pizza bites before and they're not a perfect substitute (obviously) but they're REALLY good!

http://www.damyhealth.com/2012/03/cauliflower-pizza-bites/
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Have a slice of pizza. Fit it in or you will give in and be sorry.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I make little "pizzas" using English muffins.. satisfying and a lot less calories :)
  • brittanyhosmannmiller
    Options
    My bigger issue is time & money. I don't make much. And food stamps don't cover all of our groceries month to month. No time to coupon and frankly generic is usually cheaper even with a coupon. Recipes that are quick and easy usually aren't healthy & /or bland.
    Thanks for the English muffin idea. Sounds like a decent alternative
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Make your own dough? It's what I do.

Aside from that - why are you hungry all the time? What do you have to goal on here set at? How many calories a day do you eat?
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    We make a pizza with jiffy pizza crusy mix and it comes out to between 450-550 for half of a large size pizza and it is pretty delicious. Homemade pizza is cheaper because you can get the ingredients for like 3-4 pizzas for the price of 1 frozen (unlesz we are talking totinos)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My bigger issue is time & money. I don't make much. And food stamps don't cover all of our groceries month to month. No time to coupon and frankly generic is usually cheaper even with a coupon. Recipes that are quick and easy usually aren't healthy & /or bland.

Oh, I couldn't agree less. Where are you getting recipes?

Pizza is pretty cheap to make yourself. Flour, yeast, tomato sauce, bargain brand cheese, these things are not expensive. You can easily use frozen vegetables to top it, since the vegetables will be cooked anyway.

Dry beans and rice do take time to cook, but very little prep time and are very healthy. Again, frozen vegetables will round out the meal nicely.

Frozen fruit and old fashioned oats and a little sugar can make a delicious and healthy dessert in just a few minutes.

Frozen fruits and vegetables, pasta, rice, beans, eggs. These are cheap and healthy staple foods. Buy fresh produce when it's on sale. Stock up on meat/fish when it's on sale and freeze it. Make soups, chilis, stews and freeze them for quick premade meals, rather buying expensive nutrient poor premade meals from the store.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    buy those Ezekiel 100 calorie pitas ,some sauce, low fat or fat free cheese and load it with veggies and put it in the oven thats... what I do
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Pita pizzas are the most like pizza crusts to me. I probably make them once a week for my little one for dinner. Broil a pita for a few minutes until crisp, take it out, flip it over, top it with sauce and toppings, and broil until cheese is melted. Flatout light or tortillas also work the same way, but are not as "doughy" to me - still delicious!
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I love pizza, but for me it is practically toxic regardless of calories. I put on 3-4 lbs just looking at it. I drop it right back off when I get back on track, but I have to only eat it seldomly as a treat or reward. I'm quite sure it's the crust because I don't do well with processed doughs.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had a serious pizza craving two weeks ago: it was dinnertime, I don't eat wheat (often), and I was too hungry to engineer an actual pizza from scratch, so... one egg, two whites, a tbs of sauce and 8 slices minced up pepperoni with mozzarella on top. I invented pizzeggs! Honestly was not far off.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Pizza is pretty cheap to make yourself. Flour, yeast, tomato sauce, bargain brand cheese, these things are not expensive. You can easily use frozen vegetables to top it, since the vegetables will be cooked anyway.

Dry beans and rice do take time to cook, but very little prep time and are very healthy. Again, frozen vegetables will round out the meal nicely.

Frozen fruit and old fashioned oats and a little sugar can make a delicious and healthy dessert in just a few minutes.

Frozen fruits and vegetables, pasta, rice, beans, eggs. These are cheap and healthy staple foods. Buy fresh produce when it's on sale. Stock up on meat/fish when it's on sale and freeze it. Make soups, chilis, stews and freeze them for quick premade meals, rather buying expensive nutrient poor premade meals from the store.

All of this. For slightly more than the cost of the english muffins in the idea you liked you could buy enough flour and yeast to make A LOT of pizza dough.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Really wanting pizza. 390 a slice? Not worth it. I'm constantly hungry. I eat well, small portions more often & healthy.
    Still hungry, and I have seen I'm more bi tchy & short tempered when I am.
    Suggestions friends?

I like to make my own pizza (real pizza)

Crust recipe here....roll it thin (1 step easy)
    http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/recipes_landing.html

Sauce is basically low cal....add veggie toppings and turkey pepperoni (70% less fat).....then add 2% mozzarella. Bake on a really hot (pre-heated) stone....yum!

*Turkey pepperoni is a bit stiff so I cut it into quarters, less noticeable that way
    2% Mozzarella will still brown...unlike fat free (which is just weird).
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    An entire Totino's party-size pizza is 660 calories. Even at 1200 calories/day, I could make that work -- skip breakfast and have a salad for lunch, have Greek yogurt for breakfast and turkey lettuce wraps for lunch, whatever. A whole Jeno's pizza (regular size, not party) is only 330-375 calories and would be even easier to fit in!

Aside from that, you can make some swaps on delivery or take-and-bake pizzas that make them more worthwhile. Move to thin crust, light cheese and sauce, and stick to one meat topping with lots of veggies. Make it work. You'll be fine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    An entire Totino's party-size pizza is 660 calories. Even at 1200 calories/day, I could make that work -- skip breakfast and have a salad for lunch, have Greek yogurt for breakfast and turkey lettuce wraps for lunch, whatever. A whole Jeno's pizza (regular size, not party) is only 330-375 calories and would be even easier to fit in!

Aside from that, you can make some swaps on delivery or take-and-bake pizzas that make them more worthwhile. Move to thin crust, light cheese and sauce, and stick to one meat topping with lots of veggies. Make it work. You'll be fine.

This^

Papa Murphy's has some lighter options.

Lean Cuisine individual pizzas are like 340....taste pretty decent. Unfortunately DiGiorno doesn't make their thin crust single serves anymore (those were good).

OR buy some turkey pepperoni...and start with your favorite thin crust (cheese) frozen pizza. This should reduce the calories quite a bit.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I also want to mention that I've only ever hit all my macros perfectly -- all of them precisely zeroed out -- on four days in the last two years. All four days, I ate an entire Totino's party pizza by myself. Coincidence? I think not!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If u want pizza make room for a slice or two in your day. Or make it yourself to save some calories.
  • mandy_bird
    mandy_bird Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

All of this. For slightly more than the cost of the english muffins in the idea you liked you could buy enough flour and yeast to make A LOT of pizza dough.

Great advice here.

You can make awesome homemade pizza. I did it in college because it was easy, cheap, and quick (30 mins. here): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quick-and-easy-pizza-crust/

Flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oil and water for the dough. Use spaghetti sauce (cheaper to buy than pizza sauce) and pile it up with any toppings you have on hand (cheeses, veggies, meat, etc.). Pizza is like soup in my opinion, it's a great way to use up leftovers (veggies that are about to expire, that half of an onion from yesterday's dinner).

Want to avoid calories? Use reduced fat cheese, or less of it. Or even go cheese-less!

Making a pizza is fun, do it with someone else and enjoy!