A 5 year yoyo :-(

Options
In June 2010 I set upon my weight loss journey starting at 78 kilos, it took me a year to drop to about where I (thought I) wanted to be (about 62 kilos), then the ensuing 4 years I maintained well. I was surrounded by like minded people, used a PT and was generally focussed. In October 2013 I stopped calorie counting and for a while the weight stayed off but it inevitably crept up with my complacency. I qualified as a Personal Trainer Level 3 and continued for a while after still putting on weight but actually realising that I was too skinny. Looking at pics my legs were like sticks - I thought at the time that I looked good.

In June 2014 I met the man I was to settle down with. My priorities changed, Im very happy now but Im not happy with the extra 15 kilos Im now carrying around compared to the last 5 years. I now know that my ideal weight is 66-70 kilos.

I buggered my knee 3 months ago and could not train at all for 8 weeks, then my partner and I started cycling. We love it! I am worried what Ill do when we cant cycle during the winter.

Ive done my first treadmill run tonight and I can feel Im fatter and certainly need to build up my fitness again for running - cycling is easy !!!

So my question is this, have you been in this situation, how did you re motivate?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I had to start from the very beginning of fitness (I had none). 6 months later, it is a amazing...

This takes time, patience, diligence and commitment. You must set mini goals.

Use the MFP tool 100% it works and its FREE... I will add you have to keep your self motivated and keep your exercise fun and enjoyable.. Keep you hands out the cookie jar LOL unless you fit the cookies in your calories for the day..

And yes you can loose weight eating the same foods you love and have always loved, you just have to know the proper portions and moderate. I way over estimated just how much a serving really is...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Well you managed to maintain which is pretty good.
    Not seeing the problem really, its only 15 kilos 33 weeks tops for you, so you cna lose it this year. You know about weight loss already, youve been a PT so you know about exercise. Is the only thing you are missing just the motivation to start and stick with it? If you arent happy with it you have a lot of advantages to be able to kick it into touch. you just have to commit, do or do not so to speak?

In terms of the injury, then wont a treadmill risk your knee more because of the impact? Why cnat you use a staionary bike, the eliptical or rower for cardio? Not weight bearing and no impact. my favourite is the rower. Why dont you do some weights as well?

During my journey my motivation has been pretty good as I have built up consistency. I have a clear mind and purpose plus Im always revising and monitoring what Im doing and how I feel, so i keep good mental health , know when to push and know when to rest without slacking. Im sure you recall that progress is a good form of motivation. Do something that works, you enjoy and can sustain. I havent got to the place where I need to remotivate, maybe the closest is recommit and im just honest with myself, remind what im doing and why, then state the case to myself why I need to get moving down the gym. Exercise is easier than cutting rations even more becayse that makes me a bt grumpy. Overall i know the logic in what Im doing and I can see some of the results in the mirror, plus I dont kid myself and get on with things as the path of least resistance. Why no keep your targets small, transition, use mfp and focus on one day and 1lb at a time. Just think about doing well for that period.

Hope that gives you a bit of insight.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just to report back to the people on this thread. 10 months later knee is 99% fit. I'm running again now and things in that department are going well but I've not lost any weight. I've restarted my weights in the last 10 days and eating better but still the desire to feel life owes me a pizza is still my sticking point.