Pedometer help!

Options
Hi
I have the Pacer app on my phone, to monitor my steps every day. I also have MFP set to monitor my steps via my iPhone. I've noticed there's a fairly big difference in the amount of steps recorded...can anyone explain this?

Today, Pacer says I have so far walked 4409 steps, burning 189 calories.
MFP says I have walked 4409 steps, burning 104 calories.

Not sure which one to rely on?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit.. but MFP is bringing over my steps right..

It sounds like you need tech support or double check all the settings between your device and MFP...

sorry I know this is not helpful..
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi
    I have the Pacer app on my phone, to monitor my steps every day. I also have MFP set to monitor my steps via my iPhone. I've noticed there's a fairly big difference in the amount of steps recorded...can anyone explain this?

No actual experience with the Pacer app or MFP monitoring. Are these 2 separate things...or are they to be synched together?

Here's what my FitBit does: MFP & my FitBit are synced to work together. When I run a sync (daily, hourly, whatever) it compares my MFP set activity level (sedentary) with what my FitBit level is based on actual steps. MFP gives me additional calories if I am more active than sedentary....fewer calories (it may even subtract if I sit on my butt all day).

Could it be that 189 is the total calories.....but 104 is the adjustment portion? Sedentary people take steps everyday....you want to be careful not to "double dip."

Barring that, you may have to disconnect & start over. IPhone apps here had a glitch awhile back.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Hi

Check your user settings -- does the app have your correct info. entered in to compute the calories? Likewise, is the info. in MFP correct?

• amanda3983
    amanda3983 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i think the my fitness pal might alter it slightly due to the fact the phone can get moved around and inaccurately calculate vs. the fitbit and other devices. This is MFP way of making allowances to not over calculate. This is just my assumption not a fact.
  • paulalizzie
    paulalizzie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's all very helpful, thank you. I think I will go on what MFP says. Far better to under-estimate than over! :)