Now that I have a food scale..

Options
Hello, time for me to be a noob once again.. So I finally got my food scale in today and I wanted to test it out. While I was at Wal-mart i bought a marketside bbq chicken wrap. It comes with two chicken wraps in the packet - which is one serving all together. It told me that one serving is 334.g and is 530 cals.

So I set an empty plate on my scale. and then zero'ed it out again and only placed one of the wraps on the plate cause i plan on only eating one of them. it said it was 159g. Now.. with me knowing this information.. how would I enter it in MFP? cause its still trying to give me the whole 530 cals for only eating one. when that calorie intake is if i would eat both of them. I hope I am making sense.. I :(

Replies

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    err sorry had wrong numbers.

159/334=0.47 Enter 0.47 into MFP (brain broken...can not math today) :D
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Enter it as half a serving? I honestly don't get the point of having nutritional labels with calores per serving. Here in Norway we have calories per 100g, and it seems like a much simpler way to do it.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    ^ What he said! It takes a little math, but if you have MFP access you also have access to some kind of calculator. :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Enter it as half. Next time enter it as half. If one half is slightly bigger the two will equal out once you eat both. Extra 30 calories today, 30 less tomorrow.

If you're not going to eat the other half than just do the math.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    yes what he said...but if you eat this food regular calculate what 1 gram is or 100 gram ( same calculation)
    Make a new MFP entree ( so import it as new food)
    And you have your own entree for this food

Next time when you have 153 grams you dont have to calculate anymore you use your own imported food entree of 1 gram ( or 100) and than it is just filling in that you had 153 times 1 gram of that food.

Hope my baby English explanation is clear enough lol
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is to enter .5 serving instead of 1 serving. Keep in mind, the Food and Drug Administration allows some +/- leeway in calorie calculation so food packages are NOT exact. Imagine in a factory, every item comes off the conveyor belt weighing exactly the same...doesn't happen.

If you want to be super accurate, then do what ruggedshutter said....but that makes sense only if the total is REALLY 334g.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    ZBuffBod wrote: »
    The easiest way is to enter .5 serving instead of 1 serving. Keep in mind, the Food and Drug Administration allows some +/- leeway in calorie calculation so food packages are NOT exact. Imagine in a factory, every item comes off the conveyor belt weighing exactly the same...doesn't happen.

If you want to be super accurate, then do what ruggedshutter said....but that makes sense only if the total is REALLY 334g.
    No, it makes sense no matter how much they actually weigh. It may be that this particular package is more or less than 334g, but if a serving is 334g, the calculations should be based on 334g.
  • Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the replys!
  • Britxclarity
    Options
    yes what he said...but if you eat this food regular calculate what 1 gram is or 100 gram ( same calculation)
    Make a new MFP entree ( so import it as new food)
    And you have your own entree for this food

Next time when you have 153 grams you dont have to calculate anymore you use your own imported food entree of 1 gram ( or 100) and than it is just filling in that you had 153 times 1 gram of that food.

Hope my baby English explanation is clear enough lol

LOL yes it was. thank you all again!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    kayfaei wrote: »
    Hello, time for me to be a noob once again.. So I finally got my food scale in today and I wanted to test it out. While I was at Wal-mart i bought a marketside bbq chicken wrap. It comes with two chicken wraps in the packet - which is one serving all together. It told me that one serving is 334.g and is 530 cals.

So I set an empty plate on my scale. and then zero'ed it out again and only placed one of the wraps on the plate cause i plan on only eating one of them. it said it was 159g. Now.. with me knowing this information.. how would I enter it in MFP? cause its still trying to give me the whole 530 cals for only eating one. when that calorie intake is if i would eat both of them. I hope I am making sense.. I :(

334 grams/2 is 167 grams.

Your half weighed 159 grams.

Enter entire portion in My Foods, exactly as the label says. Enter the 334 grams as the serving.

Next, when you have logged as your lunch, got the the grams portion and put in 1 gram, then say 159.

You will get the calorie count for that serving.

• Britxclarity
    Options
    Okay.. so yeah I admit its embarrassing to ask this.. but okay so I go to create a food>.. then I give it a name and a description I got that part.. but when it says serving size- Is that were i add the 0.47? and also I am assuming I still have to had the 530 cals? or will mFP actomatically add it for me? Ugh I feel so silly asking this but once I get past this one hopefully I can log other stuff without a problem.
  • Britxclarity
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    kayfaei wrote: »

334 grams/2 is 167 grams.

Your half weighed 159 grams.

Enter entire portion in My Foods, exactly as the label says. Enter the 334 grams as the serving.

Next, when you have logged as your lunch, got the the grams portion and put in 1 gram, then say 159.

You will get the calorie count for that serving.

Ah I did not see this! thank you @SLLRunner
    That worked! says the cal for the 159 grams is 252. Sounds alot better than 530 calsories