Anybody Climbed Whitney Before?

Options
I'm giving it a shot in July and would be happy to hear anyone's stories.

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Yes! Went in July in the 90s and had a blast - came overprepared for weather and hit a perfect window, so no issues. Just make sure you come prepared for really bad weather.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm nervous about altitude sickness and weather; otherwise, hoping I can just gut it out for the long hike. I'm not too fond of camping either, but I'm hoping to grow into it :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is precisely why I chose Whitney as a precurser for Denali as I live at sea level. I acclimatized gradually and planned for a max ascent of 2k ft daily, would feel a bit nauseous at dinner, but fully recovered after a good sleep. Hydration is key, so plan on 200% water intake.

I'm an avid backpacker and like to gradually bring people into camping. Whitney might be a bit rough, but you can overcome alot of the inconveniences today with gear. I would test out your gear first by taking a few nights at a more hospitable area, just to make sure you know any problems you have with the backpack, tent, shoes, sleeping bag, etc.