THE DREADED WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAU

Options
Okay, I do not want to start freaking out yet but I think I am hitting a plateau right now. I have lost 34 pounds since starting MFP (Hooray!!). I hit a plateau about 2 or 3 months ago so I eliminated processed foods, went low carb 5 days a week, lower calorie intake, added strength training, and added variety and intensity to my cardio. whew, I feel like I've done everything right? In the first 3 weeks i went down 10 pounds but then of course even though I followed the same technique it stopped working. I haven't lost any weight since April 3rd and today is April 29th. I know it hasn't been that long but I expect to at least lose 1 pound a week, actually according to MFP i should be losing 2 pounds a week :\, so i should have lost 4-8 pounds according to that theory. Should I stay the course and be patient? I was thinking of doing calorie cycling, meaning alternating high calorie and low calorie days. Im getting tired of this. Im going to up my carbs to 200 grams a day because I can't maintain the super low carb diet. any advice or words to keep me motivated right now would be much appreciated. Its starting to feel like Im killing myself for little reward :(

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Additionally, with 25 pounds to lose, you shouldn't be expecting to lose more than a pound a week. Aiming for 2 pounds as you get closer to your goal can deprive your body of important nutrients as well as muscle loss.
  • eboniivoried
    eboniivoried Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You're strength training and muscle does weigh more than fat... Instead of eyeing the scale, have you tried measuring your inches? You may be slimming down but the scale gives a false reading due to your muscle mass.

Other than that, I've read if you stick with it then your body will naturally overcome the plateau. I started losing 3-4lbs/week in the beginning and now I am losing 0-1lb every two weeks. I'm a bit impatient about the progress taking its time too!! ☺ Stick with good eating habits and high intensity training. Even if you're not losing weight, you're still doing your body a world of good.
  • Selina_Kyle_60
    Selina_Kyle_60 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    yes thanks I have measured myself I forgot to mention, I went down 1 inch and 0 pounds, a 1 inch decrease is great but of course I expect more than that, maybe Im being impatient