Heart rate monitor (wrist)

Options
Hi all,

I have a Bluetooth chest strap HRM, which I find uncomfortable to wear sometimes and also I forget it a fair bit.

Does anyone have any experience with any wrist based devices at all? I run/cycle all year round so it needs to be able to take some water. I use Strava so that sorts my GPS tracking, any feedback will be appreciated! Thanks :smiley:

Replies

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I posted the following in another thread. Since then, an update how come out for the Health App (what the Band syncs with) so you can now sync up with Strava.

I love my Microsoft Band for the following reasons -

1. Continuous HR monitor (sampling frequency varies on activity involved - run, bike, exercise, sleep, normal)
    2. Tracks my sleep - it is very obvious I'm not getting enough sleep based on how often I get up and how infrequently I'm hitting deep sleep.
    3. Exercise tracking - I know the calorie burn based on HR isn't super accurate for weight lifting, but tracking my HR throughout my workout (which includes jump rope HIIT) provides good information back to me on how hard I'm working and how long I'm working out in each HR zone. I keep my rests very short and intensity high, so get a very good cardio workout that I can see after the fact in my Health App.
    4. Steps - yes it does that too. Sometimes it will get me to walk down to get the mail vs. picking it up next time I drive out somewhere, or run back upstairs to get something I might not have gone upstairs to get. Over the long run, these add up a bit (compound effect).
    5. Run/Bike Tracking - I don't bike but plan to start running. The Band will track my run (GPS) and provide split information, VO2 information (new feature), and even sync up to compare my fitness/results to others at various sites.
    6. Guided Workouts - I use this a bit now for cardio workouts. I downloaded an HIIT treadmill workout and the Band ran me through the paces telling me when to increase speed and counted down each intervals time. At the end it provided normal workout information including distance, calorie burn, etc. I don't use the weight training workouts you can download but there are bunches by Golds, and other well known authors.

Is there room for improvement in a second generation Band? Yes. But if you read honest reviews of the Band, it's rated one of the best ones out there, and it's only getting better. I wouldn't give it up for anything and I'm only using a few of the features.

p.s. I didn't even touch on text, email, and phone alerts that get sent to my Band from my phone while working out. Or all the other none fitness stuff it provides. But, being able to see who is calling or texting me in the middle of a workout to see if I need to stop and respond or not is great (i.e. is it work or my wife (j/k)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The Microsoft Band has similar HR accuracy issues as the Fitbit Charge HR, Fitbit Surge, Basis B1, etc resulting from its design. Optical HR sensors do not handle external light and the lack of side shielding on those devices. Honest reviews concede the inaccuracies in its HR during exercise.

http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-band/2/
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    For every review you can put up saying it's inaccurate, I can find users who have compared their Band HR to other devices (Polar Bands, Elliptical hand HR, etc.) and find them almost dead on.

When I first got mine, I wore it while working out on our elliptical (with hand HR monitor), and over the 45 minutes I worked out, it was almost dead on. Yes it took a few seconds longer to respond to sudden HR changes, but then it was dead-on for the steady state periods. Overall, at the end of my workout, the average HR and calories burned were almost exactly the same. I know I posted it here somewhere, but I'm not going to track it down.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Fanboyism ... not just for Apple any more.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    edited April 2015
    Options

I see why you have so many posts. You just add useless comments to as many as you can. I'm surprised you didn't use your "willful ingnorance" quote here.

So it's Fanboyism when someone likes a product they bought and have had success with? Whatever.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    alexwilden wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a Bluetooth chest strap HRM, which I find uncomfortable to wear sometimes and also I forget it a fair bit.

Does anyone have any experience with any wrist based devices at all? I run/cycle all year round so it needs to be able to take some water. I use Strava so that sorts my GPS tracking, any feedback will be appreciated! Thanks :smiley:

What are you expecting to gain from it?

If you want to be able to correlate your HR data with your Strava data, which is where the information may have some value, then you'll need someting that stores the trace and then integrates that with the GPS.

I've seen a few observations that the Rhythm device is reasonable, but I suspect your main constraint is going to be around the Strava integration.

Your other option might be the TomTom, which means you do away with Strava or find some way to synch the GPX data.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you want accuracy, you should stick with the chest strap. They are much more accurate than any wrist monitor.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    alexwilden wrote: »
    Hi all,

What are you expecting to gain from it?

If you want to be able to correlate your HR data with your Strava data, which is where the information may have some value, then you'll need someting that stores the trace and then integrates that with the GPS.

I've seen a few observations that the Rhythm device is reasonable, but I suspect your main constraint is going to be around the Strava integration.

Your other option might be the TomTom, which means you do away with Strava or find some way to synch the GPX data.
    Tomtom syncs with Strava through its computer app ... the cardio model gets decent HR reviews but requires a tight fit that some complain is uncomfortable and it is one size only making it less than ideal for people with smaller wrists.

sm4astan wrote: »

I see why you have so many posts. You just add useless comments to as many as you can. I'm surprised you didn't use your "willful ingnorance" quote here.

So it's Fanboyism when someone likes a product they bought and have had success with? Whatever.

No. It's fanboyism when people ignore facts about a device because of biases normally associated with a purchase. That quote of mine would apply ... congratulations on recognizing that it matches your posts.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi Brian!!! (Brian and I are buds)

Brian posts on every HRM thread about how they are the Debil.

I'm not sure why you fools don't recognize his superior intellect and end-thread
  • annaskiski
    Options
    How do you guys like Strava?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I feed my Garmin data to Strava. Powerful app, but a bit expensive compared to others.

Useful representation of HR data as well ;)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I only use the free version of Strava, feeding it my Garmin data. Strava also integrates with MFP and also Google Fit. All in all the combo of Garmin Forerunner for running, cycling, plus Strava plus Google for for casual movement monitoring works well for me with no monthly cost.
  • mwyvr
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Chest strap HRM supposedly are more accurate or reliable but I've nothing to compare them to myself having only used the chest type.

Oft-quoted DC Rainmaker likes this arm band optical over the wrist optical HRMs:

http://www.scosche.com/rhythm+

As for Microsoft Band, not my cup of tea. I'd rather have a Polar or Garmin running oriented device, with full waterproofing.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Chest strap HRM supposedly are more accurate or reliable but I've nothing to compare them to myself having only used the chest type.

Oft-quoted DC Rainmaker likes this arm band optical over the wrist optical HRMs:

http://www.scosche.com/rhythm+

With the inclusion of the Rhythm in the thread, that's pretty much it for arm mounted HR straps that perform well in testing. There simply are not many devices on the market that fit tightly enough and include side shielding so that they can handle the jostling from running and cycling without light leakage impacting accuracy. The Scosche and Mio devices are Bluetooth ... ANT+ compatibility varies between Mio products. All are at least 1m water resistant ... some to 30 m.

• annaskiski
    Options
    Can you track strength training on Strava? I'm looking for an app that can track all my workouts in one place.
    Right now I have a running app, a lifting app, a hiking app, etc...
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Hi Brian!!! (Brian and I are buds)

Brian posts on every HRM thread about how they are the Debil.

I'm not sure why you fools don't recognize his superior intellect and end-thread

The parts in bold are lies. As I said in the other thread, I won't lower myself to your level ... which somehow keeps dropping.
  • missmika03
    missmika03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the Basis Peak and I LOVE it! It's very accurate with heart rate using your wrist on all things cardio (I do OrangeTheory so test it comparatively to the chest strap often). Strength training isn't quite as accurate, but from what I've read, nothing on the market currently is, so this is the best bet. It tracks cycling and swimming as well (so obviously waterproof), so could be a great fit for you!
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    missmika03 wrote: »
    I use the Basis Peak and I LOVE it! It's very accurate with heart rate using your wrist on all things cardio (I do OrangeTheory so test it comparatively to the chest strap often). Strength training isn't quite as accurate, but from what I've read, nothing on the market currently is, so this is the best bet. It tracks cycling and swimming as well (so obviously waterproof), so could be a great fit for you!

http://www.cnet.com/products/basis-peak/2/
    " The Peak seems fine for casual use, but serious fitness nuts will still probably want their own super-accurate chest band or tracker."

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/12/basis-depth-review.html
    "A really cool and geeky way to monitor the 23 hours of the day you’re not exercising."

The Basis, Band, Surge, Charge, etc make fine activity trackers but poor heart rate monitors. Most of the more accurate during exercise HR devices sit on the forearm, not the wrist. They can monitor arterial, not capillary, pulse. They also are shielded from external light that degrades the optical sensor beyond its inherent issues.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurate-are-wristband-heart-rate-monitors/

• mwyvr
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Can you track strength training on Strava? I'm looking for an app that can track all my workouts in one place.
    Right now I have a running app, a lifting app, a hiking app, etc...

You can but the support is fairly minimal; it provides the ability to add a "manual activity" and within that you can select a type (such as Weight Training) and duration.

Strava is geared towards runners, cyclists, and tri-athletes ("multisport").