Does your BMR and TDEE change as you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Does anyone know the rate of change? I am going to change to TDEE from NEAT and I know I need to lower it. How much should I lower it for each 10lb lost? 100 calories? 5% (I am currently 207lb)? Another amount or percentage? My estimated TDEE, less 500 calories to lose 1 lb a week would put me in the range of 2100-2200 currently.

That sounds way to high. Running your numbers through the K-M calculator I get a sedentary TDEE of ~1800-ish. That's before creating a deficit.

Instead of adjusting all the way down, seems easier to get your TDEE based on your goal weight/body composition and just eat that. Then you're already at maintenance calories by the time you get to your goal weight.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    When I plug it into the calculator, it takes about 30 lbs before there's a 100 calorie difference for me with a moderate lowering of body fat. It went from 1875 for my current stats to 1773. Not a lot of change for the amount of weight lost. This is for a short person (5'3") who works out 4x/week. Now, if I lose more body fat my TDEE goes up to 1987 with BMR following suit. This is why I'm strength training while losing!

I seem to recall that you should recalculate every 10 lbs, or so.
    It went up? :o even more reason for me to find a strength training routine I like, awesome.

Yeah! Certainly gave me the motivation to go today ;)
    An accurate BF measurement would be nice, but trial and error would work. Just keep increasing by 100 over a period of time until we stop losing. The calorie window is still pretty small, but I'll take almost 2000 over less than 1800!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Does anyone know the rate of change? I am going to change to TDEE from NEAT and I know I need to lower it. How much should I lower it for each 10lb lost? 100 calories? 5% (I am currently 207lb)? Another amount or percentage? My estimated TDEE, less 500 calories to lose 1 lb a week would put me in the range of 2100-2200 currently.

Suggest you work out your TDEE from your own numbers - which has the happy side effect of correcting any logging issues.

Add up total number of calories eaten in last four weeks, add 3500 for each pound lost in that time. Divide by 28.

I am already on it. I want a full four weeks of numbers to use and I am in week three, which is why I am estimating to within 100 right now. Final number will come in about 10 days.

Do you know how much I should be reducing it as I lose, or should I recalculate each time?

ETA: for the fun of it, I am also running a side calculation using the TDEE I get from my Fitbit to see what it says and how in compares to my "real time" numbers. Right now, it is a little lower.

Loss of fat is only about 2 cals a day difference for each pound. Think you are going a little overboard with your quest for accuracy. Daily variations in activity and food are going to swamp the tiny effect of losing a few pounds over the course of weeks. Adjusting calories based on actual results seems far easier to me.

The daily variations in activity and food is exactly why I am using 4 weeks worth of my actual numbers. I want to get an average in order to eliminate as many variables as possible.

• earlnabby
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

That sounds way to high. Running your numbers through the K-M calculator I get a sedentary TDEE of ~1800-ish. That's before creating a deficit.

Instead of adjusting all the way down, seems easier to get your TDEE based on your goal weight/body composition and just eat that. Then you're already at maintenance calories by the time you get to your goal weight.

Actually, I have run my numbers through several calculators and get a TDEE anywhere from 2600-2900. Using my actual numbers for April I get 2624. My Fitbit TDEE for April is 2538.

My NEAT is 1740.

• Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options

Actually, I have run my numbers through several calculators and get a TDEE anywhere from 2600-2900. Using my actual numbers for April I get 2624. My Fitbit TDEE for April is 2538.

My NEAT is 1740.

If you're not using Katch-McCardle (and if you don't know you are, you aren't) your numbers are guaranteed to be too high.

I'm a 6'1" male with 160 pounds of LBM - there is no way your TDEE is nearly as high as mine.

According to the numbers you just gave, you're adding an average of 1000 calories/day of intentional exercise - that's also a bit dubious.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Yes. Generally lower as you lose weight and vice versa.

However, exercising does raise your TDEE.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    For me my BMR has gone down a bit maybe...per calculations at my heaviest it was 1670...60lbs later and a couple years it's 1450...but my TDEE has changed.

When I was 205 doing little exercise my TDEE was 2000...it is now 2000-2500 depending on if I am lifting only or add in cardio...60lbs later and a couple years...

I am personally good with that...doesn't bother me a bit.

Yep. I am sure I eat more now that I book the weight room and treadmill. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Yes. Generally lower as you lose weight and vice versa.

However, exercising does raise your TDEE.
    From the OP: "assuming your level of activity stays the same",
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    There's a formula to calculate TDEE that accounts for body fat %. Here you go, it's the last one: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Very interesting. According to that, if I maintain my weight but drop my body fat by 5%, I will gain an extra 65 calories per day on my BMR. I'm sad it's not more, my maintenance calories are sad :'(
  • earlnabby
    Options

My NEAT is 1740.

If you're not using Katch-McCardle (and if you don't know you are, you aren't) your numbers are guaranteed to be too high.

I'm a 6'1" male with 160 pounds of LBM - there is no way your TDEE is nearly as high as mine.

According to the numbers you just gave, you're adding an average of 1000 calories/day of intentional exercise - that's also a bit dubious.

I ate 64720 calories in the month of April (including my pre-logged day today) for an average of 2157 and I lost 4.2 lb. How am I overestimating based on those actual numbers?

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Katch-McArdle (spelled that way) is higher than Mifflin for some people and lower for others.

Notably, Mifflin will give higher numbers for people who are overweight and have higher body fat percentages. Katch-McArdle will give higher numbers for people who are fitter and have lower body fat percentages.

YMMV. Both formulas have their pros and cons and their inaccuracies. Katch doesn't take into account the calories that are burned by fat mass (which, though not as high as the calories burned by lean muscle mass, are not zero as the Katch formula assumes they are). As a result, Katch is actually less accurate for the very overweight. Mifflin, on the other hand, may underestimate calorie needs for athletes and such.

Anyway, @earlnabby ran her actual numbers using real-world results, which is what you're supposed to do since no formula on earth is ever going to be exactly accurate. Sounds like she's right in range.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Question as in the title :p (assuming your level of activity stays the same) and also do they change if/as you gain muscle too? I've just been wondering if mine will be the same or not when I reach my goal and while working to it. Hope this isn't a silly question.

The simplest answer to your question is this: YES, they change over time.

Most TDEE calculators recommend that you recalculate your TDEE for every 5-10lbs lost. As an example, when I first came to this site eight months or so ago, I was able to eat around 1900 cals and lose an lb a week, now I have to eat around 1700 to do the same. I've only lost around 15lbs.

*Before someone jumps down my throat about how I've only lost 15lbs in that eight months and so clearly I'm not calculating right blah blah blah, I took on a new position at work which became my priority, so I maintained for a while (successfully I may add) and then was in a car accident which led to me eating at maintenance for an additional two months.

My NEAT is 1740.

I ate 64720 calories in the month of April (including my pre-logged day today) for an average of 2157 and I lost 4.2 lb. How am I overestimating based on those actual numbers?

I'm with you Earlnabby! Real data over a calculator any day.

As for Mr_Knight, I wonder if your own TDEE calculations could be off? At 165lbs total (I haven't done a BF % lately, so I can't really speak to my exact LBM) and a light to moderately active lifestyle, I maintain around the 2300-2500 cal mark. To be fair though, I am 22, and age is a factor.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Suggest you work out your TDEE from your own numbers - which has the happy side effect of correcting any logging issues.

Add up total number of calories eaten in last four weeks, add 3500 for each pound lost in that time. Divide by 28.

I am already on it. I want a full four weeks of numbers to use and I am in week three, which is why I am estimating to within 100 right now. Final number will come in about 10 days.

Do you know how much I should be reducing it as I lose, or should I recalculate each time?

You can recalculate it, but results basically get you there. Like if your losses start decreasing and there's a real trend maybe go down 50 or 100. But out of curiosity I checked Scooby and it declines about 70 calories off my TDEE for every 10 lb lost. I suppose if you can maintain lean mass and lose mostly fat [ed. to correct nutty typo] it could be less, though.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You can recalculate it, but results basically get you there. Like if your losses start decreasing and there's a real trend maybe go down 50 or 100. But out of curiosity I checked Scooby and it declines about 70 calories off my TDEE for every 10 lb lost. I suppose if you can maintain lean mass and lose mostly muscle it could be less, though.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, just kind of go with the flow of the results.

• lemurcat12
    Options

ETA: for the fun of it, I am also running a side calculation using the TDEE I get from my Fitbit to see what it says and how in compares to my "real time" numbers. Right now, it is a little lower.

Why complicate things?

For many of us it adds to the fun/interest.
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2015
    Options

Many people like that method, but it seems likely to be insanely slow, especially as you get close to goal. Or are you saying eat sedentary TDEE for goal weight and ignore exercise?
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Katch-McArdle (spelled that way) is higher than Mifflin for some people and lower for others.

Notably, Mifflin will give higher numbers for people who are overweight and have higher body fat percentages. Katch-McArdle will give higher numbers for people who are fitter and have lower body fat percentages.

Interestingly, Katch can be higher for short people even when they still have a good bit to lose. I noticed that because one of my friends (5'1) had that result when for me (5'3, so not tall) Katch was still a lower number.

Katch is higher for me currently: BMR 1289 vs. 1181. Not that either of those numbers is anything to write home about, which is why I personally think exercise is important for me (well, among many reasons).
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options

Suggest you work out your current average TDEE from your own numbers - which has the happy side effect of correcting any logging issues.

This is a great tip. At the risk of a derail, how would you use this to correct logging? Because I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

My NEAT is 1740.

I suspect you're one of the lucky MFPers who manages to over-estimate their intake. But hey - as long as what you're doing is working, drive on! :drinker: Just file my comments away for future reference, on the off chance things start to wonky.

Meantime, keep rockin' it! :drinker:
  • earlnabby
    edited May 2015
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

Suggest you work out your current average TDEE from your own numbers - which has the happy side effect of correcting any logging issues.

This is a great tip. At the risk of a derail, how would you use this to correct logging? Because I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know.

It won't correct a mistake, or not logging for a day, or using measuring cups instead of the scale, but it does balance things a little more. It assumes you are being as accurate as humanly possible, but there is no way to be 100% accurate. What happens when you take 4 weeks of numbers is even out those entries that you logged that might have been a little high or a little low. Things like apples are a good example. The database has a number that is an average. Some apples, even among the same variety like a granny smith, will have more sugar than others so their calories might be a little higher or they might have a little more water so their calories will be a little lower. You still weigh and log the 125 grams but the actual calories might be a few off. Does this make sense?