Heavy Lifting Always the Best?

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
In recent years, "lifting heavy" has become a ubiquitous exercise recommendation, often without regard to the background of the individual seeking advice.

And, make no mistake, there are many benefits to lifting heavier weights.

However, "lifting heavy" might not be the best choice for everyone all the time. Many people who come to MFP are carrying a lot of extra weight and are just starting an exercise program. In addition, others might have physical or medical issues that contraindicate "lifting heavy".

A case can be made that for these individuals, lifting a higher volume of lighter weights is a more effective way to start, and that the choice of modality (e.g. free weights vs machines) is not that important.

Before I proceed, here is my usual disclaimer: I am NOT saying this is the "best" approach for "everyone" and I am not dismissing anyone's successful personal anecdote. As a fitness professional, my job in writing for a general audience is to present evidence and recommendations that can be a "best fit" for certain groups.

Also keep in mind that lifting "lighter" weights does not mean during arm curls with 5lb dumbbells. It still means working to "failure" -- just in 12-20 reps rather than, say 4-6.

There is a lot of research to support this idea, but for this article, I am relying on three sources:

1. AEROBIC, ANAEROBIC, AND EXCESS POSTEXERCISE OXYGEN CONSUMPTION ENERGY EXPENDITURE OF MUSCULAR ENDURANCE AND STRENGTH: 1-SET OF BENCH PRESS TO MUSCULAR FATIGUE
CB Scott et al, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2011 Vol: 25(4) 903-908.

2. MECHANICAL LOAD AND PHYSIOLOGICAL RESPONSES OF FOUR DIFFERENT RESISTANCE TRAINING METHODS IN BENCH PRESS EXERCISE
Sebastian Buitrago et al, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2013 Apr 27(4) 1091-1100

3. TRAINING THE OBESE BEGINNER, PART 3: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner-part-3.html Lyle McDonald

Let's look at some specific reasons why lifting lighter weights can be a good choice for overweight beginners:

1. They don't need to increase muscle mass. The idea that "lifting heavy increases muscles that burn more fat at rest" is one of the most common mantras repeated on MFP.

However, someone who is significantly overweight (i.e. BMI >34, 35%+ BF for men, 40%+ for women), often has a lot of muscle mass already. They don't need more. They might gain more as a result of training, or they might lose some muscle mass as their bodies "resize" themselves over time. In either case, pushing overweight beginners to "increase muscle mass" is usually not a productive goal--at first.

2. Lifting heavy doesn't result in any more afterburn. At least not in the types of workouts that beginners are likely to follow. Both studies cited above compared lifting as various intensities, ranging from 37% of 1 RM max to 90% 1 RM max. Surprisingly, there was no difference in Elevated Post Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) between any of the different intensities. This is different than the model that occurs during aerobic exercise, where EPOC is directly relation to duration and exponentially related to intensity of exercise.

3. Total energy expenditure is significantly higher during lighter-weight training. This effect was seen in both studies. This makes sense when you realize that, at lighter weights, exercise time is significantly increased and rest times are greatly minimized.

Dr Scott summarizes:
Our data indicate that a single set of muscular endurance-type lifting to fatigue expends more total energy than a single set of strengthtype lifting to fatigue; this apparently is related to the amount of work performed within the set.

4. Higher volumes of lighter-intensity lifting can enhance whole-body glycogen depletion. People who are significantly overweight usually have an impaired ability to oxidize fat. It is not fully known whether this impaired ability is a CAUSE of gaining weight, or an EFFECT of gaining weight, but the condition exists. They have plenty of available circulating fats, but are inefficient at using them (as opposed to those who are at lower levels of body fat--in that case, the problem is usually more with fat *mobilization* vs fat oxidation).

Two effective ways to enhance fat oxidation are: reducing body fat by maintaining a sustained caloric deficit and depleting muscle glycogen. Performing a high(er) volume of lifting can enhance that effort.

5. Psychological reinforcement and increased confidence. Which workout do you think is going to encourage someone to come back: a heavy workout that leaves someone feeling discouraged and sore, or one that leaves them feeling energized and with a feeling of success?

I believe that it is important for beginners to finish each workout with a feeling of success and accomplishment; to see incremental gains each day.

Lyle McDonald mentions that overweight beginners often don't have the endurance or the fitness level to burn large amounts of calories during an aerobic workout. With the other changes that take place at the beginning of a weight-loss program, progress can seem excruciatingly slow.

I think that the effects of resistance training have a much faster and more substantial "real life" impact. Even without weight loss, people feel more confident, more positive about themselves, and have greater compliance when they feel stronger.

So what are the specifics:

1. First of all, whether you lift light or heavy or in-between, it is important to work to momentary "exhaustion", regardless of # of reps or time of set.

2. By "lighter", I am referring to an intensity of 50%-55% of 1 RM. This means about 15-20 reps per set. Work up to 3 sets per exercise.

3. The movements should be controlled--not "super slow", but not super fast, either. The set should last at least 45 seconds.

4. As usual, work large muscle groups. Leg press, squat, chest, lats, shoulders. Don't bother with small-muscle isolation exercises right now.

5. To start, any modality can be effective--machines, cables, or free weights. Yes, free weights are better in the long run, but you don't need to be a "purist" right now.

6. At these weights, you don't need any more than 60 seconds recovery between sets. Better yet, alternate upper/lower, push/pull exercises rather than sitting there waiting 60 seconds.

7. You really only need to lift 2 times per week.

Again, I am not trying to say this is the "best" way to lift. But heavy lifting is not for everyone, and may not be the best choice for anyone just starting out. Given today's fitness climate, it could be easy for someone starting out to get the impression that doing anything other than heavy lifting is pointless. That is not true.

Ultimately, after several weeks or months on this routine, you will probably get better results by moving up to a heavier weights and a more aggressive program. Some beginners will want to just dive right in and start pushing iron. That's OK, too.

But if you are not ready for that yet, or if you have some physical issues that preclude you from lifting heavier weights, take heart that there are alternatives that can be very effective at helping you reach your weight-loss goals.

Replies

• mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    excellent post
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Azdak! Consider me heartened!

To what extent can such a program help with aesthetic goals, like 'body recomposition' after weight loss ('skinny fat')?
  • Azdak
    Options

To what extent can such a program help with aesthetic goals, like 'body recomposition' after weight loss ('skinny fat')?

It's really more of an assist for weight loss, although it will help with conserving lean mass. And it really is geared more towards the more overweight people starting out.

By the time you get to the point where you are more concerned with "aesthetics", then body fat levels are reaching the point where a different approach is needed--and that is where a person is more likely to get better results by incorporating higher-intensity work--both cardio and strength--into your routine.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

It's really more of an assist for weight loss, although it will help with conserving lean mass. And it really is geared more towards the more overweight people starting out.

By the time you get to the point where you are more concerned with "aesthetics", then body fat levels are reaching the point where a different approach is needed--and that is where a person is more likely to get better results by incorporating higher-intensity work--both cardio and strength--into your routine.

That makes sense, thank you! Not wishing to take you too far from the intent of the post - it is possible to safely increase the intensity of a resistance workout by other means than increasing load, is that correct? For example, by pausing at different points in a movement?

Or for cardio, generally speaking, would it be smarter - from both an 'aesthetic' and risk prevention POV - to do gentler cardio more often (and maybe risk injury related to repeated movements?) or more intense cardio, like intervals, less often? It's sometimes hard to balance these different goals. Especially when we are shy from pain, or don't know how to read it.

(I am coming from the POV of being injured, with some kind of training history, and not being 20 years old. Apologies if this is too much drift!)

In any case, the post you've written is necessary, and I hope a lot of people find their way to it. I always flinch when I see a post from someone set on running or lifting ***heavy*** right away, when I think they probably shouldn't.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Great Post!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Applause!

No exercise is the best for every situation. Even the greatest training aspect can be applied wrongly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I keep seeing that I need to lift heavy, but quite sure I need to get stronger first...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Just how many sacred cows do you intend to slaughter in one post?

Nice ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Ultimately, after several weeks or months on this routine, you will probably get better results by moving up to a heavier weights and a more aggressive program. Some beginners will want to just dive right in and start pushing iron. That's OK, too.

But if you are not ready for that yet, or if you have some physical issues that preclude you from lifting heavier weights, take heart that there are alternatives that can be very effective at helping you reach your weight-loss goals.

Agreed, especially with this
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Nice post! Thanks for breaking it all down.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    That was a very interesting read, thank you!

I did start off lifting heavy as a severely obese, middle-aged, unfit woman with health conditions. I actually found it OK. I wasn't aiming to increase muscle mass, but to try to maintain muscle while dieting (I'm at an age when muscle is naturally wasting away, and I worried that dieting might make that worse). I'd also been having some issues with falling and general weakness and specifically wanted to get stronger, and protect my bones as I got older. So maybe my goals were different from usual, as I wasn't using lifting as a weight loss tool.

I did a version of Starting Strength, which I found easier than Stronglifts as it's mainly 3x5 instead of 5x5. I didn't find the heavy weights discouraging because, as a beginner, you do see very noticeable progress. Another thing is that, although I was unfit, if you're used to hauling your very obese body from place to place and up and down stairs - your legs aren't actually as weak as you think they are! So although I struggled (a lot!) with the upper body exercises, I had much more encouraging results with lower body exercises.

I just wanted to say that for me, lifting heavy was quite do-able, despite me being in the atypical group you're talking about. (Although, obviously, I don't know if it might have worked better for me if I'd started the way you suggest). I'd say that it's now that I'm finding it more difficult actually, despite no longer being obese.
  • 2pupsmama
    2pupsmama Posts: 77
    Options
    bump to save the links
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This is awesome thanks for posting!
  • Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I used the links and made copies of the sample workout used by Lyle. I've felt like I was supposed to lift like everyone else, but I'm heavy and I don't feel physically capable of following a lot of the recommendations. This was kind of a relief to me - I'm not wasting my time! I want to start lifting, but I'm too embarrassed about what I'm not capable of. I will use this information as "validation" that is ok to start lighter and work my way up.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    Add me to the list of people saying "thanks, I had been wondering about this very question!"
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't see any point to spending a lot of time doing 20 reps to finally overload my muscle fibers, when I can simply do it in 3-6 reps.

But if I just wanted to burn the most calories per hour, I'd pick up a jump rope or hop on my bike.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't see any point to spending a lot of time doing 20 reps to finally overload my muscle fibers, when I can simply do it in 3-6 reps.

But if I just wanted to burn the most calories per hour, I'd pick up a jump rope or hop on my bike.

Periodization, Progression, and Diversity in your training scheme, whether it be rep count, set count, rep cadence, rest time, total volume, total poundage, will drastically improve your results. Whether you're trying to lose weight or gain muscle, periodizing your goals to achieve a higher level of performance is indicative of continued progression. When you hit a strength plateau, it is sometimes beneficial to deload and strive for volume, then return to a strength scheme.

Maintaining the same training philosophy for years is a sure fire way to hit unnecessary sticking points.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There is more to "afterburn" than EPOC. Why would you expect exercise that uses mostly anaerobic energy systems to start burning oxygen after the workout? That doesn't make sense.

It is virtually impossible to quantify in any meaningful way, but the calorie cost of strength training recovery is very real and quite significant. (Repairing damaged tissue certainly isn't calorie free, which is why if your cals are too low and you are fairly lean your recovery absolutely tanks, though recovery is a high priority process for the body (muscle building is not), the body will spend the cals on it in a deficit, to a point).

It is hard to quantify because it really depends on how hard you are working/type of routine and how strong you are (in absolute terms and relative terms). But a 10-15% rise in resting metabolic rate is not out of the norm.

People start lifting heavy, eating more, and start having magical transformations. There isn't some sort of mindless herd mentaility to suggest this to beginners; just have a gander at the success stories forum; you will be hard pressed to find some wow transformations that DIDN'T include meaningful strength training (not cardio with weights).

Though its definitely fine to start with a high rep easy program to ease into it; after a few weeks of it though it is time to move on.
  • Azdak
    Options

Because not everyone can do it in 3-6 reps.

Seriously, you couldn't figure that out on your own?