gaining?

crich72
crich72 Posts: 4 Member
Is it possible to gain in the beginning? Not doing weights just cardio. Could I be so out of shape. That by just toning a bit of muscle I show a gain?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Can you explain "just toning".

It's possible to gain weight at the beginning of a workout regimen, or when changing it up through water retention. It's common. I can gain 6lbs after a heavy lifting day.

Why aren't you doing weights along with cardio?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Weights are more important than cardio, IMHO. It's easier to maintain the extra muscle your body has built up to move your extra weight around than to try to build new muscle later.

While it's certainly possible that the new cardio is causing you to retain some water for muscle repair it's not all that common for someone to gain weight right at the beginning if they have a lot to lose and are following MFP correctly. What is your weight loss goal per week? If you've set it for two pounds per week but are gaining it's possible you aren't really eating little enough to lose.
  • crich72
    crich72 Posts: 4 Member
    At 330lbs now and shooting for 200lbs. I know it will take a very long time to achieve. Especially at 2lbs a week lol. Dropped my calorie intake to 1800 at first. Now going for 1600 a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    gaining over what period of time? you have to realize that your body weight isn't static...you have fluctuations occurring naturally due to a variety of things...you can be up one day and down the next with water retention/release or more/less waste in your system from previous weigh in, etc.

These fluctuations also show up when you're losing which is why it is important to view weight loss as an overall trend over time, not a linear function.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    crich72 wrote: »
    At 330lbs now and shooting for 200lbs. I know it will take a very long time to achieve. Especially at 2lbs a week lol. Dropped my calorie intake to 1800 at first. Now going for 1600 a day.

That's not very many calories. I can't imagine that you're not always hungry if you're really eating so few.... If you're measuring accurately you should be able to eat a lot more than that and still lose weight. Are you weighing or measuring your food for accuracy? The kitchen scale is much more accurate but, honestly, if you're anywhere close you should still be able to lose weight at this point.