Should I give up and gain it all back? (hormones, period missed)

2»

Replies

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Stress? Did no one mention stress? At 19 there is so much stress! Does weird things to the body.

I'm 24, 5'5 and 136lbs no period in 6months (but frigging pms like crazy.)
    No cysts, hormone levels are okay, many tests and a scan later my doctor has come up with stress or too high physical activity, (physically demanding job and heavy lifting).
    I got seriously freaked out after a few months, (I had a cyst a few years back) Id guess my bf% is in mid 20s so its not that for me either, I was eating 2300 a day when started now cutting on 1900.

Now trying to add in some mindfullness meditation to see if it brings it back on advice of my gp.

My gyno said it just happens sometimes to women of all ages and weights. Don't worry about it.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    molnardrea wrote: »
    I just think that a healthy woman needs to have monthly periods, otherwise the body is telling that something's wrong.

Better not take BCPs, then, because you don't menstruate on them. BCP bleeding is an artifact of progesterone withdrawal. The only reason BCPs even give you a progesterone withdrawal bleed is because it keeps you from worrying that you're pregnant.

There's no medical reason to bleed every month if you're using hormonal contraception.

• elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Hang on wait what?

I'm also on a progesterone pill and the whole point is that I don't get periods, it's brilliant. That's why I picked it. I'm 125lb, 27 and 5'3.5. Have you read the leaflet that comes with your pill to check if it's one that stops periods all together?
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    I went through similar (am generally 125 at 5'6, sometimes fluctuates up and down a bit) and no longer have my period as well as it stopped at age 22 (which is a blessing in my opinion) and I'm 23 now. I'm unsure if this is from my tubal I had at 21 (it wasn't a hysterectomy so...) but your's could also be from stress. As long as you aren't actually underweight then it's probably not as bad as it seems. Look on the bright side, you can't get pregnant (or at least a next to 0 chance) and no more pads/tampons to go through.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    And to make it clear, I don't want to have a baby, I just think that a healthy woman needs to have monthly periods, otherwise the body is telling that something's wrong. There's the risk of osteoporosis as well.

Nope, not a requirement for a "healthy woman."
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    allyphoe wrote: »
    I just think that a healthy woman needs to have monthly periods, otherwise the body is telling that something's wrong.

Better not take BCPs, then, because you don't menstruate on them. BCP bleeding is an artifact of progesterone withdrawal. The only reason BCPs even give you a progesterone withdrawal bleed is because it keeps you from worrying that you're pregnant.

There's no medical reason to bleed every month if you're using hormonal contraception.

^This!
    I'm have the implanon (sp?) implant in my arm for birth control and I don't have a period. I was on Depo Provera for 11 years and had my period maybe 5 times, and it was usually when I had missed my shot by a week. Which if it's progesterone withdrawl, makes perfect sense.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    evileen99 wrote: »
    And to make it clear, I don't want to have a baby, I just think that a healthy woman needs to have monthly periods, otherwise the body is telling that something's wrong. There's the risk of osteoporosis as well.

Nope, not a requirement for a "healthy woman."

While it's not a requirement for a healthy woman to have periods, a woman who stops having them should get it checked out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Also, I'm 19 years old, started getting period back when I was 14.

not true actually. Having a monthly period is not as healthy as you think.

this is a new thing since the advent of birth control. Women prior to BC didn't have monthly cycles as they were usually pregnant.

Our bodies are not meant for monthly...per my Aunt who is a professor at a great medical school and she is a retired ob/gyn...I trust her over some website.

I like not having a monthly cycle...took care of my anemia.
  • molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Stress indeed was a major factor that I didn't mention here. I had several exams and some more are still due as I'm at my final year of highschool. Then going to uni, leaving my parents' house... It's all stressing me. I got good results on my latest exams and I hope that will help me settle down a bit. Today I found myself singing some melodies on horseback, which I haven't done since months... Good sign :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    126 @ 5'4" doesn't sound like it would be a low enough BF% to cause amenorrhea, so this is definitely a question for your doctor.

same, my period stuck around around that weight and I'm 3" taller. Doc for sure
  • molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Update: Yesterday I finally got a PROPER period. It's as heavy as it's been before. Though I needed to gain 4 pounds back, but I feel much better, eat at maintenance (2000 kcals daily) with a lot of healthy fats, but generally clean diet. Being for like a week back on maintenance after a month of caloric surplus I started to see my fat go away again and the scale slowly crawl back down, so I guess my TDEE is even higher than 2000. I might consider a reverse dieting and bumping my calories up until I lose no more, to find my true maintain kcals. :)

So girls: Try to resolve what is causing the stress and please eat more, your body will reward you and you will feel wonderful!

After finding my true TDEE I'd like to embark on a lifting programme, though not sure yet if I my parents can fund the gym membership, but will give it a try.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    This is a really good question for your doctor.

FWIW, if I could quit having my period and still be perfectly healthy, I'd be thrilled.

You can - hormonal BC is a wonderful thing.