30 Day Plank Challenge

Options
tlbruce1969
tlbruce1969 Posts: 50 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I will be finishing up a 30 day Crunch challenge that I found on this board, and found that the thread and comraderie of the others helped me keep strict with the challenge and keeping in that spirit I am posting this 30 day plank challenge. All are welcome and encouraged, post each day when you finish about how you did and how you feel and I will do the same.

LETS DO THIS

Sorry, I couldnt attach a file for some odd reason, but below is the plan...

Exercise Overview
You may think that the core muscles are only the ones in your stomach. In fact, the core is made up of all the muscles that connect the upper and lower body, including those of the stomach, lower back, hips and buttocks. These muscles are essential for supporting the spine, aiding good posture, and almost every movement. By strengthening core muscles you will not only be on a fast track to a flatter stomach but will also improve the effectiveness of any exercise you do. The plank is one of the best exercises because it tightens the deepest Do not attempt the plank if you have suffered any lower back problems.

Plank Exercise Tutorial

Basic plank
Start on elbows and knees, locking hands together.
Straighten legs and raise your body so that you’re supported by the balls of your feet, with feet hip-distance apart.
Face the floor, being careful not to arch your back or stick your bottom in the air.

Day 1 - 20 Seconds
Day 2 - 20 Seconds
Day 3 - 30 Seconds
Day 4 - 30 Seconds
Day 5 - 40 Seconds
Day 6 - Rest
Day 7 - 45 Seconds
Day 8 - 45 Seconds
Day 9 - 60 Seconds
Day 10 - 60 Seconds
Day 11 - 60 Seconds
Day 12 - 90 Seconds
Day 13 - Rest
Day 14 - 90 Seconds
Day 15- 90 Seconds
Day 16 - 120 Seconds
Day 17 - 120 Seconds
Day 18 - 150 Seconds
Day 19 - Rest
Day 20 - 150 Seconds
Day 21 - 150 Seconds
Day 22 - 180 Seconds
Day 23 - 180 Seconds
Day 24 - 210 Seconds
Day 25 - 210 Seconds
Day 26 - Rest
Day 27 - 240 Seconds
Day 28 - 240 Seconds
Day 29 - 270 Seconds
Day 30 - 300 Seconds

Replies

• tlbruce1969
    Options
    I did day 1 last night and I think the crunch challenge helped me with it, I always hated planks, but it seemed a bit easier last night.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well done! I have done planks before, and I had got up to nearly 3 mins before I fractured my elbow! So I will start at 90 secs. We go away in camper later in month and it will be hard to do them, so mine may be 20 day challenge but I'm with you.
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Day 1 done x
  • tlbruce1969
    Options
    Got my day 2 done last night
  • terenceg85
    terenceg85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm gona get on this..
  • tlbruce1969
    Options
    Well done! I have done planks before, and I had got up to nearly 3 mins before I fractured my elbow! So I will start at 90 secs. We go away in camper later in month and it will be hard to do them, so mine may be 20 day challenge but I'm with you.

now you are just showing off by starting at 90 secs LOL
  • pdates
    pdates Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Day 1 done
  • terenceg85
    Options
    Day 1 complete
  • terenceg85
    Options
    Day 2 - 30 seconds
  • Kirawolfkin
    Kirawolfkin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can hold a plank for about thirty seconds so far but I cannot do a side plank to save my life. My feet slide away from me and I have a really hard time picking my hip up off the ground. :(
  • myfitnessloselbs
    myfitnessloselbs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Day 3 - 30 seconds done
  • tlbruce1969
    Options
    Day 3 done last night, @Kirawolfkin I have never tried a side plank, may try one tonight to see how it works for me.
  • Kirawolfkin
    Kirawolfkin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 7 myself though I have not tested yet. Not looking forward to the more difficult plank types.
  • samthepanda
    Options

now you are just showing off by starting at 90 secs LOL

You got to keep challenging yourself - and anyway you'll soon catch me up!
    120 today as did it as part of a gym class, and he challenged us.
    I'm rubbish at side planks, perhaps I should try these as part of the challenge.

• 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like this :) will try!
  • tlbruce1969
    Options
    I missed my planks this weekend and my crunches since I was at a dragonboat race in New Orleans. Will get back on them tonight. Going to plank as long as I can and see where I get. BTW we took 8th out of 40 teams, not bad considering we are a team of breast cancer survivors and supporters (most over 45 years of age) and got beat by a premier team, 4 Crossfit teams and two endurance canoe teams. All in all we are proud of our showing.
  • samthepanda
    Options
    Good effort! I'm still planking.
  • tlbruce1969
    Options
    I got a full minute last night. Still got my 150 crunches and leg lifts too.
  • tlbruce1969
    Options
    did 1 minute again last night so I guess I am on day 10 woohoo lets keep going folks.
  • samthepanda
    Options
    Still going - running ahead, on 150 secs now. Shakes pretty bad but holding