HELP! Need soft food ideas!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs with hot sauce or salsa, baba ganoush, cottage cheese with crshed pineapple, flan! mashed carrots are good too.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    He can probably eat anything if you cut it small enough. As long as hes not grossed out by the looks of it. My 1 year old only has 4 teeth and he even eats steak. You could check the baby food aisle, they have cookies and snacks that can be eaten without chewing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When I had to go through something like this I made regular food (like chicken and rice) for myself and put it through the blender with extra water or boxed soup broth.

You could even do that with pizza. Put pizza in the blender / Vitamix / whatever you have and add some extra liquid.

• sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    annanavis wrote: »
    Here's an idea, if your husband isn't too tired of mashed potatoes in general. I'm Dutch, and we have what is essentially a national dish called "stammpot". (Pronounce it like *stum-PUT* - stum "u" like umbrella, and PUT "u" like a cross between a "u" and an "oo")

Anyways, much more important than the pronunciation, is the dish, but it really isn't only a single dish or a single recipe. Stammpot is potatoes-mashed-together-with-one-or-more-other-foods. And pretty much the sky's the limit as to what you can mash together. There are some definite specific combinations that are more common, but you can adjust as you like.
    The general recipe structure is--
    --Boil together an equal amount of potatoes and (insert other food here), usually also with a large chunked-up onion.
    --Towards the middle of the cooking time, add to the boiling water your sausage of choice (the most common Dutch sausage would probably be metwurst, which is awesome if you can get it, but any smoked sausage, Polish sausage, etc. will do.) Usually a pound of sausage for 4 people, usually cut into 8 small chunks.
    --When the potatoes and others are done, first remove the sausage, then drain (but reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid). Return the veg to the pot, and mash away. Don't add any dairy or milk or butter -- it's not needed and can affect taste. If needed, add a little of the cooking liquid.

Most common combinations that I like:

Carrots, potatoes, onions -- this is the one of my childhood-- for this one, start the carrots first and let them cook alone for a long time before you add the potatoes and onions-- otherwise the carrots don't mash in and incorporate very well

Kale, potatoes, onions -- this is my current favorite-- make sure the kale is washed well. Cut out the thick stems, and cut the leaves into small pieces- think size-of-a-quarter. This is always served with a little sprinkling of apple cider vinegar. And you'll need a LOT of kale for this, because it cooks down so much.

Apples and potatoes --don't use red or golden delicious for this, or any other Apple that breaks down and turns mealy/mushy when it is cooked. --for this one, add the apples closer to the end of the potato cooking time. You want them cooked and done, but we're not making applesauce here, people. You do want some of the apple texture to remain. And for this one, don't salt the cooking water. Wait until it's done to check if it needs salt - salty apples are gross.

Serve your stammpot with the sausage and a side of applesauce, and pretend you're Dutch for a day. Hup Holland Hup!

LOVE THAT! I am gonna get some wooden shoes! Thanks! :)
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    mpat81 wrote: »
    He can probably eat anything if you cut it small enough. As long as hes not grossed out by the looks of it. My 1 year old only has 4 teeth and he even eats steak. You could check the baby food aisle, they have cookies and snacks that can be eaten without chewing.

Not sure he is up for steak, but I do agree. I am finding he can eat a lot of different things if I get creative. Today I made him Sausage biscuits and gravy. I hollowed out the biscuits and gave him the soft part and kept the outside for bread crumbs. Just crumbled the sausage really small-
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I was limited to soft foods for a few weeks last summer. I called my stomach my "six month old baby" and basically introduced new foods the very same way you would feed a growing baby. Serve what everyone else is having, only mashed up a bit more.

My favourite soup was a black bean and roasted pepper by Campbell's. It's available here in Canada; not so sure about the States.

For the veggies, how about Vega One shakes?

I bet he could suck on a Dorito or Cheezies.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    What about something like crab cakes or frittata?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Your poor husband! I reckon he would be able to eat anything with meat in if it had been cooked in a slow cooker, as the meat pretty much melts in your mouth when it's been cooked like that. Stews, curries etc, would be quick and easy to make and really tasty.
  • Juliecsimpson001
    Juliecsimpson001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What about a high quality meal replacement shake? We use them daily and love the convenience and knowing that the nutritional component is very high.
  • jamie_reynolds
    jamie_reynolds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    mashed potato/sweet potato/cauliflower; polenta; cheese grits; egg salad; scrambled eggs